Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:30:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Inept film posters

Started by Nuclear Optimism, April 09, 2013, 03:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enrico Palazzo

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 02, 2019, 11:08:20 AM
because this sort of photography is done in post-production when the cast will have different comittments. Doing it in pre production might mean the look of the film wasn't developed, and fitting it into the production time - the most expensive part per day - is too costly.

It used to be you had a stills photographer during filming, who would be there purely for promotional shots to use for posters. Failing that you paid an artist to paint a picture. These are just the modern versions of the latter. The problem is the most important things are the captured likenesses of the actors above anything else, hence why the bodies are often contorted around the heads.

Ultimately film posters these days are made not as art but to sell a product, and I guess they work.

Long may it continue. I love these posters.

idunnosomename

Quote from: momatt on December 02, 2019, 11:19:53 AM
Yeah, I think that's what it boils down to, it's not really about the art.
Your reasons make sense, and give rise to shoddy results.

'Good' films usually have decent arty posters.
if you were a director determined not to have a shitty poster you could have a day of shooting the actors together during filming, but you'd have to convince the producer of it and there are probably bigger battles to fight.

Of course "good" films arent relying on the cast as much to sell it and can have something more abstract.

Famous Mortimer

I agree with all the reasons posted on t'other page, but if you're going to pay more than a cursory glance to these posters, then the work done by the stars' faces will be immediately undone by them all appearing to have severe neck injuries or looking in the wrong direction or whatever. The "Lez Up" one is hideous and would actively make me not want to watch it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 02, 2019, 03:23:48 PM
I agree with all the reasons posted on t'other page, but if you're going to pay more than a cursory glance to these posters, then the work done by the stars' faces will be immediately undone by them all appearing to have severe neck injuries or looking in the wrong direction or whatever. The "Lez Up" one is hideous and would actively make me not want to watch it.

Ive seen it. Humdrum middle class run of the mill comfort watch

Cardenio I

Keebleman

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 02, 2019, 11:08:20 AM
It used to be you had a stills photographer during filming, who would be there purely for promotional shots to use for posters.

You still have this - I work as an extra and those guys are often around - but they aren't necessarily taking pics meant for the poster.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Keebleman on December 02, 2019, 05:15:40 PM
You still have this - I work as an extra and those guys are often around - but they aren't necessarily taking pics meant for the poster.

I bet they're fucking not, the dirty old bollocks.

phantom_power

The problems of the actors not being together could be overcome by having the posters made by someone with a modicum of photoshop ability and artistic flair, and a rough grasp of human anatomy

Jim Bob

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on December 02, 2019, 09:14:22 PM
The turkey and oven glove are painted on, aren't they?

Yep.  Her forearm too.

holyzombiejesus

Guy on the right's hand and wine bottle too I think.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Keebleman on December 02, 2019, 05:15:40 PM
yeah of course you're right, and they were never primarily there for the poster, just for general promotional/behind the scenes stuff. but back in the 70/80s some of them did some totally iconic shots

nice interview:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00081wz

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on December 02, 2019, 09:45:43 PM
Guy on the right

Do you know that's actually Steve Gutenberg? Seriously. Hard to believe that he and Tom Hanks were once close competitors, but as soon as the nineties started their careers went in such different directions. One has a haul of Oscars and the other isn't even recognised on what will soon be a Poundland DVD cover. Shame.

momatt

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 02, 2019, 03:15:56 PM
Of course "good" films arent relying on the cast as much to sell it and can have something more abstract.
This is true.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 02, 2019, 03:23:48 PM
Yeah - this.  When they're that bad, I'll assume the film is bollocks too.

Alberon

Most of these posters remind me of the action transfers you used to get years ago (I assume they're not around any more). Where you'd get an empty background and a page of film or TV characters to place on the scene. This sort of thing -

Actually, I think I had this exact one.

And of course, they'd end up looking like none of them were in the same scene together.

It's like that with inept film posters. Except they're not done by five year olds (presumably) and they are actually being paid to slap that shit together.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Alberon on December 03, 2019, 05:37:20 PM

Princess Leia pitches the ball towards wicket-keeper, Darth Vader, as the stormtroopers act as fielders in a friendly game of cricket onboard the Death Star.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: thecuriousorange on December 02, 2019, 11:19:43 PM
Do you know that's actually Steve Gutenberg? Seriously. Hard to believe that he and Tom Hanks were once close competitors, but as soon as the nineties started their careers went in such different directions. One has a haul of Oscars and the other isn't even recognised on what will soon be a Poundland DVD cover. Shame.

Its not that bad.

alan nagsworth

Ignore the title, it's actually even more insufferable: "Motherless Brooklyn".

The way the top four characters are divided by the wires of the bridge appalls me. This thing is bloody everywhere on the underground, it's dreadful.

Rolf Lundgren

I can't stop looking at that Lez Bomb poster. So many facial expressions.

Gulftastic

Quote from: thecuriousorange on December 02, 2019, 11:19:43 PM

I watched this film on Sky Movies last week. Took me about 20 minutes before I realised it was Steve Gutenberg.

He must have pissed off the Stonecutters or something.

Bazooka

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on December 06, 2019, 07:51:13 PM
I can't stop looking at that Lez Bomb poster. So many facial expressions.

I thought I was the only one with addiction. It's the father/grandpop I  can only ,assume looking death in the face as he arrives.

Bazooka

Quote from: Gulftastic on December 06, 2019, 11:12:32 PM
I watched this film on Sky Movies last week. Took me about 20 minutes before I realised it was Steve Gutenberg.

He must have pissed off the Stonecutters or something.

You were suffering from what is called ''The Gutenberg'' effect.

Phil_A

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on October 23, 2019, 02:34:51 PM
He's got a tv showing coming out too. Shouldn't laugh, I guess, but...

Fraser has completed his transformation into Justin McElroy.

Inspector Norse

Guardian article with some of Robert De Niro's personal photos from filming The Deer Hunter for some reason features Bobby being amused by Meryl Streep's bad zombie makeup.

Bazooka

Sorry Son I can't play catch today Lez Bomb is on TV.

Sorry Mum that I missed Dads funeral, Lez Bomb was on Chanel 5 and I lost track of time.

Sorry wife, I know you have just given birth to twins and heirs to my throne.... However Lez Bomb,...... and Professionals starring Brendan Fraser were shown back to back.

Sorry for your loss, I was late as the head surgeon for the pioneering head transplant,...  you must understand Professionals: Danger Pays starring Loven Kongsli was being reinacted by the Royal Shakespeare Company,...  I sacked your daughter off for the love of the arts.

holyzombiejesus

My wife's away and I'm going to watch Lez Bomb.

Glebe

Swoz_MK

Hiya
Edit - oh God its massive, soz

Cuellar

Is that real? I thought he was dead.

Bad Ambassador

Coming out in Australia in two months.

The IMDb currently lists the cast according to it own fame metric. Paul Hogan, 80, is ranked eighth, below Wayne Knight.