Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:28:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Inept film posters

Started by Nuclear Optimism, April 09, 2013, 03:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 02, 2021, 11:13:33 AM
Yeah i watched it and the effects are shite. Thing i hate about the poster is the white border around the actors. Looks like an MS Paint job. The light sources are different for all three elements. And it looks like a normal sized puppy with two tiny people.

Also, that hashtag is glaringly open to abuse.

Famous Mortimer

"Mr Berenger, can you pose for five seconds in your outfit and hat so we can take a photo of you for the movie's publicity? No? Alright then"

I presume this movie is about these two guys being really annoyed that their face transplants were hideously botched.

Pink Gregory

mothman

And the poster is even inadvertently (actually deliberately) racist too, in that the top-billed star Cung Le isn't even ON the poster.

There's a discussion to be had regarding what happened to Tom Berenger's career. Was he just a character actor who suddenly briefly made it big and has been trying ever since to reclaim/retain that star billing?

EDIT: Looks like LeBeau did indeed do him: https://lebeauleblog.com/2013/11/04/what-the-hell-happened-to-tom-berenger/

Keebleman

Quote from: mothman on July 04, 2021, 03:40:47 PM

There's a discussion to be had regarding what happened to Tom Berenger's career. Was he just a character actor who suddenly briefly made it big and has been trying ever since to reclaim/retain that star billing?

He looked too much like Ted Bundy. 

To be less glib, for all his handsomeness there is something very cold and unendearing about him.  He was very well cast in Platoon.

Famous Mortimer

Does she have extremely big hands or extremely long arms? Who's she shooting at? Are covers like this made bad on purpose so idiots like me will mention them?

mothman

That's a - heh - surefire way to break both wrists, right there.

phantom_power

What's a concrete blonde?

kalowski

Glebe

mothman

Also, you know you've hit rock bottom when you're in a film with Eric Roberts.

MojoJojo

I think the obvious explanation is they got Ricky Gervaise to take the photos.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 04, 2021, 07:51:43 PM
Does she have extremely big hands or extremely long arms? Who's she shooting at? Are covers like this made bad on purpose so idiots like me will mention them?

I remember reading somewhere that they are allowed to show people holding guns on movie posters, but they cannot be pointed at anyone. Perhaps this was a last minute photoshop tweek to stop the guns pointing at the viewer?

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 05, 2021, 01:50:10 PM
I remember reading somewhere that they are allowed to show people holding guns on movie posters, but they cannot be pointed at anyone. Perhaps this was a last minute photoshop tweek to stop the guns pointing at the viewer?

John Wick disagrees, and says it's just a simple shit Photoshop job

Glebe

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 05, 2021, 01:50:10 PM
Posters for Clive Owen ironic actioner Shoot 'Em Up were banned for glamorising violence: one featured Paul Giamatti (who's never glamorised anything) holding a phone while pointing a gun, but not pointing it at anyone. There were also around the same time bans on a poster for shit Angelina Jolie/James MacAvoy action movie Wanted, which may have slightly more claim to be glamorous. These were in 2007 and 2008 and seemed to reflect a moral panic at the time about gun violence. It doesn't seem to matter what you do with the gun, but maybe they made the Concrete Blonde poster intentionally terrible so they couldn't be accused of glamorising anything.

Leej88

I hate posters that has a man and woman side by side back to back arms crossed is so cliche.

Kelvin

mothman

I can see what they're going for there, but it does look rather cheap and shoddy. I wonder if they've dialled back on the wacky/psychedelic early promotional material after The Contrabulous Fabtraption of Professor Harlequin Hufnagel, or whatever it was called, didn't do as well as hoped?

St_Eddie

greencalx

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 04, 2021, 07:51:43 PM
Are covers like this made bad on purpose so idiots like me will mention them?

My guess is that they probably have no idea what the poster is going to look like when shooting the stills, so just take a bunch of random photies and hand them over the the poster design people who then have to make the best of a bad job. Probably a lot of aggro from agents insisting their client is marginally larger / more glamorous than the rest of the cast.

Mister Six

idunnosomename

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: greencalx on July 11, 2021, 08:40:13 AM
My guess is that they probably have no idea what the poster is going to look like when shooting the stills, so just take a bunch of random photies and hand them over the the poster design people who then have to make the best of a bad job. Probably a lot of aggro from agents insisting their client is marginally larger / more glamorous than the rest of the cast.
It'll all be focus grouped and market researched, so their initial terrible ideas will all be rejected and they'll have to throw together something new (but still shit) out of on-set stills, old publicity photos, and lookalikes. Fashion and superstition and outright copying. Once you've shot a film, you're not going to get all the cast in one room, and even while it's shooting, there's no guarantee - especially when the most famous person in the cast who you want on all the posters is only on set for 2 days.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: mothman on July 10, 2021, 07:34:10 PM
I can see what they're going for there, but it does look rather cheap and shoddy. I wonder if they've dialled back on the wacky/psychedelic early promotional material after The Contrabulous Fabtraption of Professor Harlequin Hufnagel, or whatever it was called, didn't do as well as hoped?

Yeah, I quite like the general look but it's a bit of a mess. If you too the promo stuff and logos off it and shifted the title across a little bit, I think it'd look quite nice.

Alberon

That head on the right seems totally detached and just propped against the pregnant woman.

Famous Mortimer

Isn't that directed by Bob Odenkirk too?