Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:58:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

60s, 70s, 80s, and the best of today!

Started by Borboski, February 10, 2004, 02:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borboski

I was just discussing with a colleague how you could 'audit' your record collection. Tonight I am going to try and come up with the 2 best albums from each half decade.

But as I thought this over I realised that there is hardly anything I have from the 80s. And what I do, is often the artists worst work - Bob Dylan and Neil Young.

So what are people's favourite albums from each decade, but most importantly, surely there is some good stuff from the 80s? I am suffering a mind block and can only think of the Smiths!

Oh and Deacon Blue don't count.

european son

the smiths
joy division
new order
public enemy
the jesus and mary chain
talking heads
the stone roses

edit:

echo and the bunnymen
ride
my bloody valentine
morrissey

Borboski

Ahhh... thash better.

Does My Bloody Valentine count?

european son

Quote from: "Borboski"
Does My Bloody Valentine count?

Isn't Anything came out in 1988, so yep

fbb bastard

60's......the white album,pet sounds, ogdens nut gone flake

70's.......surfs up, hunky dory,low,ege bamyasi,london calling

80's.........sign of the times,spike(the beloved entertainer),skylarking

90's.....copper blue,valhalla avenue,lost in the former west,ok computer, the soft bulletin

00''s (so far).......kid a, lost souls, lido,franz ferdinand

The Culture Bunker

Other 80's stuff worth looking into:

Teardrop Explodes/Julian Cope (except My Nation Underground...)

Anything by the Chameleons.

Cafe Bleu and My Favourite Shop by the Style Council.

Bummed by Happy Mondays, the first few Psychedelic Furs albums. I could go on, but I won't

El Unicornio, mang

80s - Nik Kershaw, Howard Jones, Men at Work, Crowded House, Flock of Seagulls, Frankie Goes to Hollywood...

elderford

Don't start on My Nation Underground, it's poptastic and can often be found on the playlist at my house 9even if The Cope does refer to it as self-indulgent wank).

80s-
Cardiacs anyone?

falafel

Quote from: "fbb bastard"00''s (so far).......franz ferdinand
Oh, please.. you are joking, surely?

imitationleather

Fucking hell, are you a member of The Strokes or something?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: "elderford"Don't start on My Nation Underground, it's poptastic and can often be found on the playlist at my house 9even if The Cope does refer to it as self-indulgent wank).

Well, I do think it's better then Cope himself thinks. I was more thinking if you wanted to get into his music, it isn't the best place to start.

Dirty Boy

An unrevised list...

70's King Crimson-Red
                 Pistols-...Bollocks
                 Zappa-One Size Fits All

80's Dead Kennedys-Plastic Surgery Disasters
                Tom Waits-Rain Dogs
                 Foetus-Hole

90's Wildhearts-Earth VS...
                Cardiacs-Sing To God
                DJ Shadow-Endtroducing

falafel

Quote from: "imitationleather"Fucking hell, are you a member of The Strokes or something?

Well, yes. I'm the one that's shagging Drew Barrymore.

But besides that: there are plenty of bands I don't get the appeal of, and which all the same appear fit to make 'best of' lists. I dont like Franz Ferdinand. I think they sound amateurish and irritating (albeit only on the strength of their one hit single, which I'll admit isn't much to go on. I did find it unbearable from the very first listen, however). Evidently, I am wrong: they are great, and I just have a bad ear for this sort of thing. That wasn't my point.

I just think it's a bit premature for the old Franz, considering it's only the first official week of release (notwithstanding everyone who downloaded it a bit earlier). How can you be even slightly sure it'll stand the test of time?

On the other hand, these are, of course, 'individual, particular, personal  favourite' lists, which renders my objection utterly redundant. Sorry. But hell, it was just a passing comment. I just wonder if that album would be in fbb bastard's list in a year's time. "Hey - isn't that emperor, like, naked?"

imitationleather

But then how can you be sure that any album from this decade will stand the test of time?

Okay, I can accept that you don't like it, personal preferences and all that. But when you're being asked what the best albums from this decade are you can't really judge on how much you like it twenty years in the future, because well... It's now! But I think that already it does rank as one of the best of the '00s. That partly may be because this hasn't been a very memorable decade (I'd already completely forgotten about Kid A, an album I loved at the time), but it's mainly because I farrrhkin love Franz Ferdinand. And so do lots of people.

So, really. Either we've got to accept that some people are going to pick stuff that might just be a flash in the pan ('Yeah Yeah Whos?' is how it'll be in 2008, mark my words) or just stop picking albums from this decade.

falafel

Quote from: "imitationleather"etc.

Fair enough.