Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:16:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Going Self Employed & Claiming Tax Credits To Avoid Signing On?

Started by brownjam, April 13, 2013, 02:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownjam

Does anyone on here do this?

The particular gravy train I've been happily riding for the last couple of years is about to reach it's final destination, and given some of the horror stories I've read here and elsewhere, I don't really fancy getting involved with the dreadful coves at my local job center.

I've heard the government will give you tax credits and housing benefit if you're self employed these days. I've actually been doing around ten hours of work a week for the last year or so which would count as self employed, but I've heard you need to be doing 30+ hours to qualify for support, and as yet, I haven't worked out how I'm going to increase my productivity. 

So yeh, does anyone know how easy/hard it is to qualify? How exactly do they 'check up' on the number of hours you claim to be doing etc? 

Any advice much appreciated.

biggytitbo

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 13, 2013, 02:11:23 PM
Is brown jam like marmite or something?

No it is like your mate.  (All of your friends are made of poo, and you are a great big poo as well, which is why they call you biggyshitpoo and some people grab bits of you and smear you on the walls of public toilets.)

biggytitbo

mook

fuck sakes, have you pair of cunts got some kind of bet on where you have to post in every poxy thread. KNOCK IT OFF YOU DULL PREDICTABLE SHITTERS.

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: brownjam on April 13, 2013, 02:07:47 PM
I've actually been doing around ten hours of work a week for the last year or so which would count as self employed, but I've heard you need to be doing 30+ hours to qualify for support, and as yet, I haven't worked out how I'm going to increase my productivity. 

We'd need to know a bit more about what you've been doing, but this sounds like a good starting point to me.  Assuming those 10 hours a week are paying you, once you are self employed and out of your current job you should be able to up your hours and bring in more work, yes?  Hunting for such work also counts as work, incidentally.

I don't think it's difficult to claim working tax credits at the moment, but the first thing to do is set yourself up as self employed.  HMRC teach you how to do it, and there are free courses you can go on too, which teach you all about expenses and tax returns etc.

EDIT: actually if you're doing 10 hours a week of self employed work now, you technically ought to be registered as self employed anyway.

Zetetic

Presumably you're actually seeking to decrease your productivity, so you can take three times as long over your work.
Try making more tea rounds for yourself.

Replies From View

Quote from: mook on April 13, 2013, 02:43:17 PM
fuck sakes, have you pair of cunts got some kind of bet on where you have to post in every poxy thread. KNOCK IT OFF YOU DULL PREDICTABLE SHITTERS.

Yes and the bet is that you will always predictably spout some unremarkable poxy shite in response.  RIGHTBACKATCHA!!!!

Icehaven

Say you're a writer, you can say you've done as much as you want then and it'll be pretty difficult for anyone to dispute. 

Lyfjaberg

Quote from: Replies From View on April 13, 2013, 03:21:54 PM
Yes and the bet is that you will always predictably spout some unremarkable poxy shite in response.  RIGHTBACKATCHA!!!!

Dammit, I lost ten quid on that one.

Lyfjaberg

Quote from: icehaven on April 13, 2013, 03:23:44 PM
Say you're a writer, you can say you've done as much as you want then and it'll be pretty difficult for anyone to dispute.

I'd fucking make you fucking incapable of communicating, mate: no hands, no tongue, no fucking eyelids to blink in fucking semaphore, total paralysis of voluntary muscles. Then I'd be like "Well, it looks like you can't write anymore. Now, are you going to get a proper fucking job?"

And I'd wait a LONG time for a reply, because I'm patient. I currently have six of 'em in my spare bedroom and eventually they'll crack.

BRB have to change man-nappies.

Lost Oliver

I want to know more about this but I'm too drunk to type anything meaningful. I'll be back.

Lost Oliver

I still can't think of anything meaningful to add.

I'm registered self-employed but the amount of hours I work can vary can vary from 0 - 20. I'm living off a pittance which means that I don't pay National Insurance Contributions, so anything extra would  be more than welcome.

thenoise

Quote from: brownjam on April 13, 2013, 02:07:47 PMI've actually been doing around ten hours of work a week for the last year or so which would count as self employed, but I've heard you need to be doing 30+ hours to qualify for support, and as yet, I haven't worked out how I'm going to increase my productivity. 

Wake up earlier, stop masturbating, & get cracking.

More successful people than me can chip in with specifics, but there are all kinds of fiddles you can do if you're so called self employed.  If your house counts as your place of work then you can count the hoovering as work time if you feel like it.  Also, claim tax back on EVERYTHING, cos it's always part of your 'work'.