Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:14:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris BBC London breakfast show

Started by richcolour, July 19, 2004, 10:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richcolour

Chris Morris will present the BBC London breakfast show for a week starting 2nd August 2004.
Announced by Danny Baker this morning.

Richcolour

Dr David V

Really? I hope this is true. Did anyone else listen in?

Darrell

It's more likely to be a giggly joke by Baker. Whatever he does he'll win, as the listenership increases whenever he does the gag!

If it is true, holy GLR Batman!

richcolour

The Candyman announced it in a genuine factual manner, and went on to say that he 'knows how to work this desk'. A reference was made to him bringing in pre-recorded material, and how he may / may not get on with 'Mountain Goat' the breakfast show producer. Finally there was a mention of 'rumours flying around internet chat-rooms already'.

Richcolour

benthalo

Sounds like another stitch up. It'll be Mel & Sue again.

Stewart Lee was on the Baker show this morning, which was fun.

alan strang

Quote from: "richcolour"Finally there was a mention of 'rumours flying around internet chat-rooms already'.

Naah - that'll just be a reference to Danny Baker fucking his daughters. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Mind you, you have to wonder...

Morgan

Well, I'm going to choose to believe every last word of it, I'm going to become incredibly obsessed by the whole thing, wake up really early on 2nd August, and then get really disappointed.  That's the plan.

Lumiere

Me too. I want to see a damn listing first, though.

butnut

Dear God (who I dont believe in),

Please make this be true and not another wind-up.

Yours very sincerely,

Butnut.

Pinball

Ah well, here we go again. If it's true however... :-)

A Passing Turk Slipper

Isn't this like the third or forth time Baker's done this? You never know, maybe it'll be true this time, wouldn't it just be brilliant if it was. Although I'm sure he won't mention it again and we'll all get really disappointed. I might email BBC London and ask them to confirm it.

Goldentony

can you listen to this station on the interweb at all?

Lewis

Quote from: "Goldentony"can you listen to this station on the interweb at all?

The BBC are in the process of putting feeds of all their local stations on the web at the moment, taking a look at http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/insideldn/ it looks like you can only listen to archives of certain shows.

However you can hear a feed at http://www.mediauk.com/directory/radio/player.html?action=load&id=0 (about half way down the list)

If CM does end up doing the show (Plllleeeeaaassseee god!) then I'm on holiday that week (hurrah!) so I'll record all the shows and stick them on soulseek. Not holding my breath though

Morgan

Any mention of this on today's show then?

InFinity

Quote from: "Goldentony"can you listen to this station on the interweb at all?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/
click the link "Listen now" anytime between 6.00am and 9.00am.

If you want to listen to archive celebrity interviews, go to
http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/insideldn/dannybaker/archive1_clipoftheday_2004.shtml
QuoteAny mention of this on today's show then?
Danny said Rory McGrath will be hosting next week's shows. No mention of Chris Morris.

I am weasel

Sorry to piss on everyone's chips, but having just spoken to someone who knows these things, the answer is NO!

It isn't going to happen.

Rather annoyingly it is something to do with the fact that Morris has burned the BBC so many times that they'd need clearance from WAY up top for him to be allowed on, and that isn't going to happen.

Bobbins.

Believe me if I am proved wrong I will be so very VERY happy.

benthalo

TJ

Quote from: "I am weasel"Sorry to piss on everyone's chips, but having just spoken to someone who knows these things, the answer is NO!

It isn't going to happen.

Rather annoyingly it is something to do with the fact that Morris has burned the BBC so many times that they'd need clearance from WAY up top for him to be allowed on, and that isn't going to happen.

And so the *true* legacy of the BES reveals itself. Whoop de do.

Pinball

So, is the simple reason Morris hasn't done much recently because he has difficulty getting work?

TJ

"[Morris] has taken one more ridiculous step back from what he'll be allowed to do in future, and for what?" - Emergency Lalla Ward Ten, shortly after the BES.

Neil

I would imagine it only applies to live radio Pinball.  Thanks for checking, I Am Weasel.  I was starting to get my hopes up I must admit, but after you said the same thing last year I was trying not to get too excited.

Pinball

Quote from: "Neil"I would imagine it only applies to live radio Pinball.  Thanks for checking, I Am Weasel.  I was starting to get my hopes up I must admit, but after you said the same thing last year I was trying not to get too excited.
Yes that seems reasonable, especially as that's where he could do the most "damage" ;-)

But he was so good on the radio that it's such a damn shame!! Couldn't he record programmes and get them pre-approved by The Man or something?

Purple Tentacle

I would imagine that the banning order comes from his R1-show Heseltine naughtiness that got the show pre-recorded, although having Michael "Cunt" Grade at the top can't help.

Peking O

The quote above clearly says: "Morris has burned the BBC so many times," so I don't see how this has anything to do with the BES.

benthalo

QuoteDanny said Rory McGrath will be hosting next week's shows.

And reiterated by Jon Gaunt later on.

Wasn't the "can't get clearances at the top" reason given last year? That's why I found it unlikely. Mind you, you're probably barking up the wrong tree with Grade. He has almost bugger all to do with actual programming.

TJ

Quote from: "Peking O"The quote above clearly says: "Morris has burned the BBC so many times," so I don't see how this has anything to do with the BES.

Snowballing reputation. BES will have been the straw that broke the camel's back for most people. I'm quite prepared to believe that prior to that, people might have been happy to take a chance on him.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

So what's Baker's game, re these frequent 'Morris will be standing in for me' hoaxes? is he just having a dig at those sad, geeky internet people? If so, he's a cunt. And anyway, surely the main people he'd piss off would be his casual listeners, people who might like Morris but don't post on message boards?

Peking O

Maybe it's some kind of running in-joke between him and Morris, perhaps brought about because of the absurdity of the latter not being allowed on the wireless anymore?

Darrell

Quote from: "InFinity"Danny said Rory McGrath will be hosting next week's shows.

Morris aside, am I the only person quite pleased with the prospect of a week of Rory McGrath on the radio? He's never been an amazing writer/performer, and I'd jump through hoops of fire to make sure he never writes any more comedy song lyrics, but the bloke has incredible charm and charisma and I always find myself magnetised to what he has to say.

Just me then.

DuncanC

Quote from: "TJ"
Quote from: "Peking O"The quote above clearly says: "Morris has burned the BBC so many times," so I don't see how this has anything to do with the BES.

Snowballing reputation. BES will have been the straw that broke the camel's back for most people. I'm quite prepared to believe that prior to that, people might have been happy to take a chance on him.
Didn't the BBC fairly soon after the BES say they're interested in working with him again (but would never have broadcast the BES)?