Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,343
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:52:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris BBC London breakfast show

Started by richcolour, July 19, 2004, 10:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Is he just having a dig at those sad, geeky internet people? If so, he's a cunt. ?

Why? Sad geeky internet people are as viable a target as anyone else, especially as they can be quite c*nty themselves at times.

Darrell

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"c*nty

Centy? Canty? Ah, CUNTY. That's the one.

Quote from: "Darrell"
Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"c*nty

Centy? Canty? Ah, CUNTY. That's the one.

Excuse me for being a bit prudish!

Olipro

I suppose I'll have to work my tape recorder to start recording in the morning since I never can be bothered to get up THAT early.
If it's true then I'm sure that it's not going to be that incredible, considering it's a breakfast show and all.
But you never can tell with Chris, although if he steps out of line, then I think he'll be seeing the all to familiar BBC boot yet again.
Maybe we'll be getting a weirdly familiar selection of eclectic music, or at least something that doesn't suck...

Time will tell, time will tell...

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: "Olipro"I suppose I'll have to work my tape recorder to start recording in the morning since I never can be bothered to get up THAT early.
If it's true then I'm sure that it's not going to be that incredible, considering it's a breakfast show and all.
But you never can tell with Chris, although if he steps out of line, then I think he'll be seeing the all to familiar BBC boot yet again.
Maybe we'll be getting a weirdly familiar selection of eclectic music, or at least something that doesn't suck...

Time will tell, time will tell...

Are you taking the piss?

benthalo

They're not allowed to play records in the 6-9am slot anyway.

If it's just a private joke, then pffffhhhht. If it's specifically targetting people on message boards, and Baker happens to dip into this, then can I take this opportunity to complain about how he's such a mean-spirited character when it comes to being corrected? That is, when he allows the correction to make it to air. He made the claim that Peter O'Toole was in Dr Zhivago the other morning and couldn't bring himself to admit the error, giving a kick of bitter correction in return. Really nasty radio, that.

He's made some howlers in recent weeks, most of them concentrated in the Griff Rhys Jones interview which is online at his BBC page. Telling the man who founded TalkBack that NTNOCN was the last good satirical series is something of a dead end. Asking him if he'll ever go back to radio, when he's never actually left and has had two long running series on the BBC in the last five years. Bringing up his wrong interpretation of the Not pilot, which he's been corrected on in the past. Also, making that embarrassing error about children's theme tunes the other week, proven totally wrong in an email sent by a mate of mine and then to not read it out... how can you be a proud trivia obsessive and not acknowledge these errors?

I mean, I could go on.

His interviews are getting worse too - for two days running he opted for blatantly reading out IMDB entries (with episode titles and dates!) at Lynda Bellingham and Roger Sloman as a substitute for thinking of anything original to say. I complained to his producer who was refreshingly bolshy in her reply, but eventually conceded that he had a lot of writing commissions at the time (Hell's Kitchen?) so wasn't putting his heart into it. And this man has how many holidays?

Besides that, it's all too rare for him to shut up in an interview and let people speak. Stewart Lee sailed through because the nature of his speech is that it's often hard to interject, but there were a string of shows a few weeks ago where guests actually said "Can I finish a sentence?" Nicholas Parsons in particular sounded enormously pissed off.

He can be madly enthusiastic about nonsense and galvanise an enthusiasm for it in his listenership. He can wrong foot guests on the press tour circuit with totally disarming questions, but he's a bloody lazy sod at the moment. And his opinions on comedy are at least three years behind the times. He's only just noticed that there are a lot of 'dark' shows about, and he's tired of them? Jesus. It's nice to hear someone say that on the radio - and his desecration of the Comedy Awards in December was magic - but he'll still arse lick The League Of Gentlemen's collective arse and witter on about bloody Gervais as a God.

And that karaoke thing he does was a rotten idea from day one.

In case you haven't guessed, I've retuned the radio.

I am weasel

It seems the one thing we all agree on is the desire to hear Morris on the radio again (live or pre-recorded incase he says something horrid).

Maybe Baker's references to him being the stand-in presenter aren't a wind-up in joke, but instead a call to arms. We hear this and then decide to email BBC LONDON and tell them what a great and wonderful idea this would be. "And I promise never to retune my radio ever again". Seriously. If there is one thing that the BBC radio lot love doing it's seeing how much the public love them, or will love them if they deliver what the public demand on the radio.

Do it this weekend and strike while the iron is hot:

yourlondon@bbc.co.uk

Editor: David Robey
BBC London
PO Box 94.9
Marylebone High St.
London W1A 6FL.
Tel: 020 7224 2424
Phone-in: 020 7224 2000

Neil

I think that's a great idea, from the PM's we swapped at the time, I get the impression that Morris really was up for covering (in December wasn't it?).  This was not too long after he said in an interview that he'd 'like to make some kind of radio noise again' or whatever it was.  The time(s?) when Baker has said, "Oh, Chris will be in tomorrow as a guest" have seemed more like he was just pissing about.  Anyway, that's all really just supposition, Baker could just be having us on every time for all we know.  Didn't you find out last time that he did want to do it though?  It's hard for me to remember.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"
Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Is he just having a dig at those sad, geeky internet people? If so, he's a cunt. ?

Why? Sad geeky internet people are as viable a target as anyone else

Indeed, but what exactly is the joke in this case? 'Ha ha, you all like Chris Morris and you're all really excited about him returning to radio...BUT HE'S NOT REALLY!!!' Great. What's the gag?

If he invented a ludicrous rumour just to test how gullible chatboards are, that would be different. But just mocking Morris fans for their love of Morris...why?

Also, as Bent Halo mentions, Baker is clearly a trainspotter-type himself. Albeit one of those depressing, daaaaaan-the-pub, I'm-not-really-that-sad trainspotters who keep apologising for knowing stuff.

I prefer Robert Elms' show. He loves being corrected, realising (rightly) that corrections often open a story out and make it more interesting.

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"
Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"

Why? Sad geeky internet people are as viable a target as anyone else

Indeed, but what exactly is the joke in this case? 'Ha ha, you all like Chris Morris and you're all really excited about him returning to radio...BUT HE'S NOT REALLY!!!' Great. What's the gag?.

I'm not sure. I don't know enough about the history of this. If that itself isn't simply the joke (as poor as it is) then perhaps on one of the genuine occasions when Morris was supposed to fill in but couldnt make it there was a lot of inapropriately angry backlash towards Baker who probably thought, "hang on, its my show for gods sake. Why is everyone kicking off and accusing me of taking the piss just because someone who isn't even me couldnt make it in?" and has since made it up a couple of times later to wind these people up.

rjpeters

Quote from: "Peking O"Maybe it's some kind of running in-joke between him and Morris, perhaps brought about because of the absurdity of the latter not being allowed on the wireless anymore?
Danny Baker said in an interview about six weeks ago that he thought Morris was one the best people to have done radio in the last ten years, along with Chris Evans, and how disappointing it was that neither did radio anymore. I think he was saying it as part of a general attack on British Radio more than anything.

But maybe all this referencing is part of some campaign by Baker to get Morris back on the radio.