Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:26:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I fucking hate David Lynch

Started by Urinal Cake, April 17, 2013, 03:32:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MojoJojo

Quote from: phantom_power on April 18, 2013, 08:52:00 AM
Lynch is one of the best directors for giving you a true visceral experience watching a film. You really feel what he wants you to feel, from the often melodramatic acting, unusual cinematography and, most importantly I think, emotive and jarring sound design. I can't say I understood Mullholland Drive when I watched it

...which is a problem with having a visceral experience, unless you count confusion as "visceral".

I dunno, I do enjoy scenes from his films, and I recognise that there can be a pleasure in deciphering what is going on in his films, but I think his difficult films are just difficult for the sake of it. It doesn't improve the story, it's not revealing subtle truths.

I don't want to be spoon fed, but I don't think having to eat soup with a fork makes the soup better.

BlodwynPig

Is it like going to the zoo and seeing a rare indonesian monkey in a cage (Hollywood) or trekking to Borneo and discovering some of the monkey's shit and a weird symbol on a rock, but not actually seeing the monkey (Lynch)?

acrow

of course confusion can be visceral.

confusion can suggest panic and fear. not fully understanding a film doesn't make it a futile experience

phantom_power

Quote from: MojoJojo on April 18, 2013, 10:44:17 PM
...which is a problem with having a visceral experience, unless you count confusion as "visceral".

I dunno, I do enjoy scenes from his films, and I recognise that there can be a pleasure in deciphering what is going on in his films, but I think his difficult films are just difficult for the sake of it. It doesn't improve the story, it's not revealing subtle truths.

I don't want to be spoon fed, but I don't think having to eat soup with a fork makes the soup better.

I'm not saying it is  better, just different. Most other films make sense. What's wrong with having a few that don't. And visceral doesn't have to mean intelligible or understandable. It is about conveying an emotion or feeling, which Lynch is brilliant at. No-one can invoke dread like him. I'm not even a massive fan of his work but that is one thing that I think is indisputable.