Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:33:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris Academic Text and Symposium

Started by Johnny Townmouse, April 21, 2013, 12:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Townmouse

Some of you may be interested in a new critical text on Chris Morris called No Known Cure being released by Palgrave this year:

http://www.palgrave.com/products/title.aspx?pid=542860

There is also going to be a one-day symposium in June:

QuoteWHY BOTHER?: A SYMPOSIUM ON THE COMEDY OF CHRIS MORRIS
14 June 2013, 2-5pm
Northumbria University
Squires Building 020A

Speakers to include (and TBC): Jeremy Collins (London Metropolitan), Robert Dean (Glamorgan), Ian Greaves, James Leggott (Northumbria), Justin Lewis, Sharon Lockyer (Brunel), David Rolinson (Stirling), Jamie Sexton (Northumbria), David Walton (Universidad de Murcia), Adam Whybray (Exeter)

Chris Morris is one of the most singular and controversial figures in recent UK media, at one point being described as the "most hated man in Britain" for his corrosive media satire. With shows such as the notorious spoof Brass Eye, this writer, performer, DJ and director has not only pushed boundaries of taste and acceptability, but altered perceptions of current affairs broadcasting, moral panics and celebrity culture. At the same time, cult programmes such as Blue Jam, Jam and Nathan Barley have pushed conventional formats such as sketch comedy and sitcom to the limits of possibility.

This event at Northumbria University (Newcastle upon Tyne) coincides with the publication of No Known Cure: The Comedy of Chris Morris (BFI/Palgrave Macmillan), edited by James Leggott and Jamie Sexton. The first full-length scholarly book on the subject, No Known Cure brings together new writings on Morris from a diverse range of perspectives in order to fully grapple with his wide-ranging, ground-breaking media output.

The symposium features short presentations by a number of contributors to the volume, on different aspects of Morris's career, followed by a book launch reception. The event will also feature the screening of exclusive and extremely rare footage of Morris's earliest television appearances. Please note that there will be discussion of material that some people may find offensive.

The event is free, and open to all, but please register your interest in attending by contacting James Leggott at james.leggott@northumbria.ac.uk

Information about the book is available at http://www.palgrave.com/products/title.aspx?pid=542860

BlodwynPig

Fuck yes! Right on my doorstep too...cancel the holidays!

ziggy starbucks

BlodwynPig

chocky909

I might be up for this. I can combine the gig with a visit to the folks.

BlodwynPig

Thomas

'Ey, that seems interesting. A post-exam treat, perhaps.

I'm up for feeling presences in spare rooms, Blodwyn.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Thomas on April 21, 2013, 08:24:03 PM
'Ey, that seems interesting. A post-exam treat, perhaps.

I'm up for feeling presences in spare rooms, Blodwyn.

Good. Protection :)

No, seriously, you are welcome to kip. There might even be a review of the experience soon that you can use to make a final decision. Contact me when you have made your plans.

Thomas

Thanks kindly. I've learnt that my gal, as cowboys say, will be living right near the place at the time of the symposium so I'll probably be staying with her, but I'll keep you updated. And I look forward to that review.

Petey Pate

This has been posted about before, and I believe one of the essays in this is written by a member of this forum.  I'm not sure who though, think it might be gout_pony?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Excellent stuff, I was tipped off on Facebook and shall be doing my utmost to make it up there for the event.

El Unicornio, mang

Ooh, I'll be in Newcastle during this time. Might have to head along.

garbed_attic

I'm contributing, as Waste of Chops and Petey have already noted! I can give you the inside scoop on the stuff I was encouraged to leave out! Mainly a bodged attempt at a non-ironic lolcat.

I guess I'll see some of you there!

Thomas

So who's definitely going to this, my cooked and bombed friends?

benthalo

I'll be there and doing a bit. God knows what.

Thomas

Make sure you fit a few Verbwhore usernames into your bit.

BlodwynPig

Deffo.

What is the plan - drinks before :) or after :)) ?

anyone need my spare room?

levitica

I'm in so long as I still don't have a job/I can get the day off.

benthalo

Quote from: Thomas on May 16, 2013, 04:29:15 PM
Make sure you fit a few Verbwhore usernames into your bit.

And at least six Beatles song titles? You people are leeches!

garbed_attic

Yep - think I'm meant to be doing something too.

Um - also - a place to state would be sincerely appreciated (though obviously if not I'll just stay in a hostel!) :)

BlodwynPig

Quote from: gout_pony on May 17, 2013, 04:27:58 PM
Yep - think I'm meant to be doing something too.

Um - also - a place to state would be sincerely appreciated (though obviously if not I'll just stay in a hostel!) :)

Sold - as long as you don't smell...shit the bed...etc etc. (dependent of course upon whoever asked first ^^ (Thomas?) being able to find a place)

I am drawing up an agenda.

Thomas

Sorry, Blodders, I thought I'd said - I won't be infringing on your home, for I have a place to stay.

I hope you and gout_pony end up romantically involved in some way. All the best.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Thomas on May 17, 2013, 06:20:21 PM
Sorry, Blodders, I thought I'd said - I won't be infringing on your home, for I have a place to stay.

I hope you and gout_pony end up romantically involved in some way. All the best.

You alluded to it, but did not say for definite. Enjoy the squalor for the palace gates are now shut.

garbed_attic

Palace gates? Should I come in a jester-concubine costume? Dag yo.

Well, it's still heartily appreciated! So, looks like they'll be quite a few verbwhores there.

klaus

Please report back. Would love to hear how the day goes.

I'd love to hear if any of the critics talk about how Morris develops a show.

BlodwynPig

Thomas

Kevin Eldon too, surely. He's made an appearance in everything Morris so far.

BlodwynPig

Just a heads up for any of you who will be staying overnight in Newcastle and may be around on the Saturday:

The Tynedale beer festival is taking place from Thursday to Saturday and I am going on the Saturday - any stragglers are welcome - advised to get tickets in advance.

http://www.tynedalebeerfestival.org.uk