Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:23:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BOC ------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------ / ------

Started by chocky909, April 22, 2013, 08:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

chocky909

Did you read the article? Pitchfork claim it's been confirmed by Warp as an official release.

mcbpete

Ah, flipping heck I'd left WATMM for today to get away from this shite....

Quote from: Duckula on April 22, 2013, 09:27:19 AM
If it's fake then it's a fucking fantastic job for whoever pulled it off.
Well, except there's no grooves on the record he 'plays', and he forgot to drop the stylus. He was so close !

chocky909

Hmm. Well if it is fake then Pitchfork is a cunt for confirming its authenticity.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: chocky909 on April 22, 2013, 10:30:53 AM
Hmm. Well if it is fake then Pitchfork is a cunt for confirming its authenticity.

There was the April Fool fake, the Serafinowicz fake and now this.

mcbpete

I think it's probably less cunty and more poor sources of information that internet journalism has devolved to using for a scoop (a pitchfork intern probably just trawled Reddit hungover on a Sunday afternoon and used that as their 'confirmed source')

Danger Man

Using a sample of a numbers station makes this the laziest fake ever or means BOC have turned completely to shit.

It must be the former.....

Danger Man

Then again...this appears to be genuine

http://recordstoreday.com/Artist/4322

So perhaps the picture is true but the Youtube link is fake.

mcbpete

I think they archive artists that they're aiming to get or just records for sale that day (not necessarily exclusives). For instance Squarepusher has never taken part in RSD and yet - http://www.recordstoreday.com/Artist/1032951

Danger Man

Quote from: mcbpete on April 22, 2013, 11:00:44 AM
For instance Squarepusher has never taken part in RSD and yet - http://www.recordstoreday.com/Artist/1032951

Fair enough......

....or perhaps there's ONE Squarepusher 12" sitting at the back of a box in a record shop in deepest Africa...

mcbpete

That's very true - with morse code etchings in the grooves giving the coordinates to a leaflet under a rock with a unique web URL written on it with an exclusive 4 second mp3 of Tom Jenkinson coughing

chocky909

Maybe next year Godspeed You! Black Emperor will rerelease another 33 copies of All Lights Fucked on the Hairy Amp Drooling on cassette tape.

Hope it's real, obviously, but it's very easy to make a fake "New Boards Of Canada 12" YouTube video.
This one took me 10 minutes just now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_02OBitKpY

momatt

Quote from: mcbpete on April 22, 2013, 11:00:44 AM
I think they archive artists that they're aiming to get or just records for sale that day (not necessarily exclusives). For instance Squarepusher has never taken part in RSD and yet - http://www.recordstoreday.com/Artist/1032951

Not entirely true.  There was a RSD Squarepusher / Ghost Poet remix 10" that I bought on Saturday.  In case you're wondering, it's bloody great.

As for BoC - what the hell?!  I really hope this is fake, as I hate the idea of me queuing up for 3 hours only to miss something this desirable.  If it's real, then BoC are dicks for not telling anyone.  In fact, they're dicks anyway, for making all their lovely music without sharing it.

mcbpete

alan nagsworth

Quote from: mcbpete on April 22, 2013, 11:11:47 AM
That's very true - with morse code etchings in the grooves giving the coordinates to a leaflet under a rock with a unique web URL written on it with an exclusive 4 second mp3 of Tom Jenkinson coughing

And everyone reckons it's really fucking good and talks about it as a legendary move for years to come because who else has the mind to do things like expel gas or play love instruments on an electronic album man what a genius and so ahead of his time

chocky909

How has this not been officially debunked or confirmed yet? There are a LOT of people out there that are totally convinced by this. I'm still on the fence but it seems a bit off. The clip sounds very similar to the start of Everything You Do Is A Balloon f'rinstance. Surely the band wouldnt do that if this was a teaser to new material.

So, assuming this is a hoax, kudos to the pranker for stringing so many along for so long. I just wish someone official would come along and do the decent thing.

Danger Man

Maybe the same bloke will announce he's found a secret Orb 12" then plays the audiobook of Herman Hesse's Siddharta with the shipping forecast dubbed over it....

Funcrusher

Quote from: chocky909 on April 22, 2013, 09:58:14 PM
How has this not been officially debunked or confirmed yet?

You would have thought that if it was a hoax Warp would have said something by now. The rumour at the start of the day was that this is one of six different records, and that the others are somewhere in five other countries. But the story doesn't seem to have advanced one way or the other.

Benway

I'm wondering if it might be genuine after all. This video which I believe to be band-related[nb]It's a soundboard quality recording of a performance at ATP complete with visuals, how else could someone get this?[/nb] now has a related annotation at 4:19. Perhaps they are having fun with it, and toying with us?

Also there was a 735673 video on youtube earlier that has suddenly been pulled. Interesting, nonetheless.

Danger Man

Reports of muffled sniggering and comments such as 'numbers station plus electro wank' and 'that will keep them busy' coming from inside a lone wigwam situated between Nairn and Lossiemouth have yet to be confirmed.....

mcbpete

Quote from: Benway on April 22, 2013, 10:41:16 PM
I'm wondering if it might be genuine after all. This video which I believe to be band-related[nb]It's a soundboard quality recording of a performance at ATP complete with visuals, how else could someone get this?[/nb] now has a related annotation at 4:19. Perhaps they are having fun with it, and toying with us?
They've certainly done it in the past, a few years back (2005) they posted this -

Which resulted in some poor sod travelling all the way to the Pentland Hills (from another country I think !) in search of either a release or live performance

Wild speculation, straw-clutching and lunacy abounds on this particular blog about these new BoC 12" releases.

http://2020k.wordpress.com/2013/04/20/boards-of-canada-distribute-new-vinyl-releases-out-for-national-records-day/#comment-1918

Half-tempted to change the title of my own little fake YouTube video above and link to it on there to see what they say.

Danger Man

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on April 22, 2013, 11:48:42 PM
Half-tempted to change the title of my own little fake YouTube video above and link to it on there to see what they say.

Do it.

Call it ----/-----/-----/XXXXXX/-----/8008153 and see what happens.

Quote from: Danger Man on April 22, 2013, 11:54:29 PM
Do it.

Call it ----/-----/-----/XXXXXX/-----/8008153 and see what happens.

Heh! Nah, I don't think the actual video is convincing enough.  In hindsight I probably should've added some numbers station audio at the end.  All I did was pitch-shift down and reverse clips of two tracks from Geogaddi for about 10 seconds and dub it over the top of the camera-phone footage.  (The actual vinyl I'm filming is 'F♯ A♯ ∞' by Godspeed You! Black Emperor).

AMATEUR HOUR!!!

vrailaine

why numbers? There were other samples on the conet project you could use instead.

True.

Nah, balls to it I can't be bothered to re-do it. The moment's passed!

Plus, thinking about it, even if I did link to it they'd only have to look at my other YouTube videos to realise it's a piss-take, and it's not worth setting up a separate YouTube account just to post one video.  "And with that in mind......I'm out".

vrailaine