Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:45:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BOC ------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------ / ------

Started by chocky909, April 22, 2013, 08:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chocky909

There are rumours that a video that Peter Serafinowicz has been tweeting will be released at 7pm tonight (checks watch... hmm) will contain another set of numbers or a clue of some sort. Pete has a history with false BOC announcements as some of you might remember so this would be somewhat poetic to include him in this teaser campaign. I'm not on Twitter to verify his announcement but I'd assume it will be on the immenstrides Youtube channel.#

EDIT

It seems they've abandoned the immenstrides channel for some reason. Anyway here is is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rO-I7butL4&vq=large

EDIT 2

No sign of anything. Decent vid though.

EDIT 3

What I should've done is checked it all out before posting here really.

The only thing that's vaguely BoC-esque in that video is the music that's used at the 0:18 - 0:46 mark.
Mind you, it could just as easily be by Popper/Serafinowicz themselves, as their music as 'Gelg' is very similar.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: chocky909 on April 25, 2013, 05:37:28 PM
What was that track though? Shazam didn't come up with anything for me.

Don't think it was ever released. Probably a demo or something.

Serge

Quote from: Funcrusher on April 23, 2013, 05:24:08 PM
...after filing the Boards of Canada single in the wrong section.

Fucking cheek. I've never misfiled a thing in my life, sonny. Check out my rapid shelf-fillin' action, OH YEAH.

The Rough Trade BoC single was put out on Saturday (Record Store Day) night by Noreen, the manager, who couldn't tell anyone else about it. It was deliberately misfiled under Techno and placed backwards as well. It then had to be removed at some point, as 'somebody' needed to get a photo of the customer buying it (and BoC it up with a blank face), so it was put back into the racks on Tuesday morning, waiting for someone to chance upon it. As they did.

EDIT: Just to make things even more mysterious, the first time I posted this, all of my text disappeared. I'm not sure how they managed that.

TrevorDistance

new number found a while ago. One of the random header gifs used on the twoism forum was changed to include information embedded in the file. It lead to two soundcloud recording of noise, which when played together magically gave out the latest number. 628315 and that it is the second placement.

I'm a sucker for numbers stations and a bit of internet intrigue, so I've been loving this.

chocky909

I'm more wishing they'd get on with it and reveal whatever it is they have for us.

gabrielconroy

I'm genuinely enjoying the mystery of this all, and dipping my toe into the excited speculations and code-breaking attempts of the internet. It's a fun and original way of interacting with their fanbase, and I'm learning quite a lot about cryptography. By the way, anyone know anything about plotting points in hyperbolic space?

Here's the confirmed sequence as it is so far:

- - - - - - /6 2 8 3 1 5 / 7 1 7 2 2 8 / 9 3 6 5 5 7 / - - - - - - / 5 1 9 2 2 5 /

NPR also broadcast a signal containing 699742, which doesn't have a confirmed position in the sequence.

BlodwynPig

a plot of the cosecant of the available numbers transposed.

gabrielconroy

Hmm, interesting. What do you mean when you say they're 'transposed'?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: gabrielconroy on April 26, 2013, 12:43:20 PM
Hmm, interesting. What do you mean when you say they're 'transposed'?

i just transposed the matrix [X]' - e.g rows become columns

BlodwynPig

of course, there are missing data, and I could visualise the cosecant in numerous ways, so will have to wait - also the numbers could be concatenated into 6 integers instead of 36.

jaydee81

Roll up roll up to the Boards Of Canada lottery.

I'm gonna stick a quid on sequence one being 8 3 8 4 4 6

BlodwynPig

Quote from: jaydee81 on April 26, 2013, 01:07:04 PM
Roll up roll up to the Boards Of Canada lottery.

I'm gonna stick a quid on sequence one being 8 3 8 4 4 6

4th and 5th number equal, 1 and 3 and 6 are sequences, 2 is 1 or 3.

Means the second set is odd one out?

gabrielconroy

Serge - know anything about what's going on at Rough Trade tonight?

http://twitpic.com/cm4gg3

Rough Trade ‏@RoughTrade 13m
20:35 | #BoC | ?
Collapse   Reply  Retweet  Favorite   More

Serge

You beat me to it, but as I've gone through the process of putting it on Photobucket, I'll post it anyway:

Clear as mud! We were told that 'something' was going to be shown on the window, so we thought either a new number, or even maybe a date for an album release? Just more X's! Those mysterious BoCCers.

I'd be a lot more excited about this if their last album wasn't such a wet fart. But still, I appreciate the effort.

gabrielconroy

Hmmmmm curiouser and curiouser. Turns out that it's the anniversary of the Chernobyl disaster today, which ties into the whole "New Clear Dawn" that's been rumoured to be the title of the next album for a few years now.

Serge

Still here. Nothing much happening[nb]Except I've had some chips.[/nb]. The loops change occasionally but no new information re: numbers or words.

gabrielconroy

Is the guy with 430 on his hat still there? Have you tried ascertaining if his headwear is part of the code?

I suggest approaching slowly with your arms outstretched, palms showing to demonstrate you are not a danger. Then stab him in the leg with an umbrella and grab his hat.

gabrielconroy

^That looks supremely fake. Hope not though! Clues are stacking up thick and fast.

Serge, who's in control of the Rough Trade twitter account? It just tweeted a reference to Close Encounters (a film made in 1977, a date which was in the twoism banner gif). There's also talk of something happening at midnight, which is...two minutes ago.

TrevorDistance

yeah the banner doesn't look right.

rough trade also tweeted they weren't opening at midnight.

BlodwynPig

So, you must have to take the cosecant of the numbers and some other manipulation (as cosecant will not be integer) and voila, the download code

BlodwynPig

Quote from: gabrielconroy on April 27, 2013, 12:11:33 AM
We're still missing one of the numbers, though.

The code is also 8 digits/characters for the download

TrevorDistance

a couple of people on twitter said they could hear the numbers station jingle playing inside the shop, but couldn't make out the numbers.