Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:37:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wong Kar-Wai

Started by Urinal Cake, April 23, 2013, 09:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urinal Cake

Do you think his films would work without the beautiful people who can actually act? Discuss.

Funcrusher

He certainly needs the right actors, like any director. Hence 'My Blueberry Nights' wasn't very good. I wasn't that crazy about '2046' either, but I'm hoping 'The Grandmasters' will be a return to his past excellent form.

Urinal Cake

Yeah I avoided Norah Jones[nb]sure she is a very nice person[/nb].

2046 really needs 'In the Mood for Love' to set Leung's background otherwise why would
Spoiler alert
you kick out Ziyi out of bed?
[close]
. There are parts that dragged a bit too long but he resolved them in the end. I think 2046 could've been his 'Juliet of the Spirits' but he reigned himself in.

Funcrusher

Maybe I should give '2046' another go some time. I finally got to see 'Days of being Wild' recently, which reminded me how great a director he is. Christopher Doyle's a talented chap as well.

Unoriginal

I enjoyed 2046 more than In the Mood for Love which probably puts me in the minority, but both are still great. However, my favourite of his is Happy Together. Appallingly, I still have not seen Days of Being Wild. I need to rectify that very soon.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Unoriginal on April 23, 2013, 10:20:33 AM
Appallingly, I still have not seen Days of Being Wild. I need to rectify that very soon.
Me too.

ITMFL to 2046 are so different structurally but I have to go with ITMFL.

Unoriginal

Have you seen Happy Together? It's the most 'gritty' and definitely the most intense of his works that i've seen. It focuses on a homosexual relationship and is just very raw for such a stylised director. Definitely watch it if you haven't already!

Urinal Cake

Nope not yet but going by the sound of it I need to be in the right frame of mind.

Nobody Soup

I never think about him anymore but I went through a phase of really liking him. my favourites are chungking express and fallen angel, but mostly for nostalgic reasons. I caught them on this channel 4 asian cinema season really late at night, I actually started smoking because I thought it looked so cool in fallen angel.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Nobody Soup on April 23, 2013, 11:36:12 AM
I actually started smoking because I thought it looked so cool in fallen angel.

I saw '2046' at a premiere in Leicester Square with a q&a with WKW after. He emerged onto the stage looking cool as fuck/slightly shy in 70's aviator sunglasses and smoking a cigarette, disregarding the numerous no smoking signs.

jaydee81

Ashes of Time is another classic in my opinion. And Chungking is one of my favourite films ever. And I prefer 2046 to In The Mood For Love inexplicably.

My girlfriend thought he was called Wonky Wai.

Sam

I love Happy Together and In the Mood for Love.

I credit Chris Doyle with getting me massively into cinematography as an art form. He's one maverick bastard. (Try to check out a few interviews with him).

Incandenza

Chungking Express is a fucking brilliant film. Can't hear California Dreaming without thinking about it.

In the Mood for Love never quite worked with me, though I did watch it very late at night a long while ago, so I'll give it another whirl. It is very beautifully shot. That's pretty much all I remember.

Urinal Cake

Chunking Express is a weird movie for me. On one had the mid 90s were my childhood on the other now that I look back at it, it explains some of my early twenties wanderlust. [nb]I hate 'California Dreaming'[/nb]

Love In the Mood for Love.

Love 2046.

The women are beautiful. So are the men. So's the cinematography. So are the stories. So's Hong Kong.

Urinal Cake

I've seen 'Days of being Wild'. I wouldn't have guessed he was a fan of Ozu's camera work. Train motif makes more sense.

Probably my least favourite WKW film so far.