Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:18:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"What will you be doing in 2013?"

Started by swinny, July 20, 2004, 10:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swinny

...asked the BBC voiceover guy last night as the credits to "Maybe Baby" rolled sometime around 0.45am...he then said..."No, not at quarter past 8 you gimp, I mean the year 2013 in the future..." and proceded to trail some Kurt Russell film on the next night.

Are BBC voiceover guys really allowed to call insomniacs bored enough to watch late night movies Gimps?

Alberon

Well, if you're going to watch a Kurt Russell film then it's probably justified.

But what do you plan to be doing in 2013?  It still sounds quite a futuristic date, but it's only nine years from now.

5 Knuckle Shuffle

Hehehe, yes I heard that, although I wasn't sure what he said, but it did sound like gimp.
Anyway, I've just looked up gimp, and most online dictionaries seem to have it as an ornamental flat braid or round cord used as a trimming, or a limp or hobble.
Well during my little surfing expedition, I came across this Geordie online dictionary which has tickled my basic needs for this morning.
http://www.geordiepride.demon.co.uk/dictionary.htm
I also remember that email for the Geordie windows OS called Windaz that was doing the rounds a few years back. I think the recycling bin was renamed fook that.

Quote from: "Alberon"It still sounds quite a futuristic date, but it's only nine years from now.

yeah shouldn't we all be driving around in floating bubble cars with record players and bars in the back, eating a diet of food in pill format.

Back to the Future 2 predicts flying cars well before 2015. and self tieing shoes.  I wear my pockets on my Levis inside-out to set a trend.

I reckon Science-Fiction will become more reality - and we'll have devices we didn't even dream of.  Verb Whores will be hardwired into our heads.  Our lives will be narrated by Peter Jones, with Peter Snow springing up to offer diagrams to help our moral dillemas.

king mob

Whats really disturbing is staying up to watch Maybe Baby!

Hey I stayed up to watch it.

I thought it was intriguing until the exceptionally hurried ending.
and besides my eyes were glued to Joely Richardson.

swinny

Quote from: "king mob"Whats really disturbing is staying up to watch Maybe Baby!

Well like I say...I was bored...and Joely Richardson did look lovely throughout...and there were actually a few funny bits...in a "how to waste 90 minutes before going to bed" kinda way.

...still not entirely sure I'm happy with the idea of seeing Hugh Laurie engaged in sexual acts, however light-hearted they are supposed to be.

...and as usual Rowan Atkinson stole the show with his little cameo.

Baltimora

I thought there was something weird about that continuity announcer. Before Comedy Connections he said: 'Later Ben Elton's Maybe Baby. Great.'

And unless everything I know about tone of voice is wrong that great was dripping sarcasm.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Baltimora"I thought there was something weird about that continuity announcer. Before Comedy Connections he said: 'Later Ben Elton's Maybe Baby. Great.'

And unless everything I know about tone of voice is wrong that great was dripping sarcasm.

I was going to mention that. It's the single most sarcastic comment I've ever heard from a continuity announcer, including T4 type wankers. Presumably it was this guy's last day.

...My nameis Gerald. I'm leaving, I'm pissed and quite frankly I feel fantastic... (or whatever)

Gazeuse

Quote from: "notnotnatnats"I'll be 30, fuck.

Watch it!!!

king mob

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"Hey I stayed up to watch it.

I thought it was intriguing until the exceptionally hurried ending.
and besides my eyes were glued to Joely Richardson.

Where were your hands while your eyes were being glued?

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Gazeuse"
Quote from: "notnotnatnats"I'll be 30, fuck.

Watch it!!!

You tell her. I don't know, Young Whippersnappers today etc, etc...Dagnammit...Nine days in and I'm already talking like a pensioner ;-)

And for a semi-serious reply to this question, in 9 years time I'd like to think I'll be living in my own place, with a partner of the female variety, and looking forward to retiring soon enough.

Chances are, I'll be in exactly the same place as I am now. But employed. And with less hair. Hmmm. Maybe I should take a photo of it now, so that I have something to look back on.

imitationleather

*B-B-B-B-B-B-B-BUMP!*

Sorry about the mega shunt up the forum, but I was just looking back through Baltimora's posts like some kind of weird stalkerish freak, and was reminded of this thread.

Anyway, not many people replied first time around (including me) even though this is quite an interesting idea. So, let's give it another go shall we?

Personally I'm not entirely sure where I'll be. Back in 2004 I think I would've had a clearer idea than I do now because I think I had far more things going on in my life that looked like they might be developing into something. Firstly, it was before I dropped out of college and so I was still on course to go to university at the same time as all the normal people. I probably have less idea of what I want to do as a job than I did back then too, nowadays I genuinely haven't the faintest clue whereas before I probably could've plucked a couple of suggestions out of the air. Also, at the time me and a girl were "stepping out" as I believe the youths call it and so I had stupid seventeen year old ideas of being settled down in nine years time. Of course, now that's all pissed up the wall I feel about as close to being settled down in 2013 as I do to also having property on the blinkin' moon. Heh, it looks like I've spent the last two years trying my hardest not to have to grow up and have become extremely disillusioned in the process! That's probably true, really. No regrets though, no regrets...

So, by 2013 I could be absolutely fookin' anywhere. Errr... Maybe some of you have more concrete ideas than me?

Go With The Flow

Probably working some lame-arse, 9-to-5 job.

Lu tze

We'll all be dead after 2012 asteroid hits.
Why else do you think the world leaders don't give a fuck about global warming?

sanchopanza

Quote from: "Lu tze"We'll all be dead after 2012 asteroid hits.

Oh shite, really?

I'm a sucker for all that nonsense and I would hate that to happen in my lifetime.  Hopefully all the ET's will be looking out for our small planet and making sure nothing hits us as they watch us reach devine enlightenment and become pure balls of energy...

Lee

I thought it was 2019.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

There'll be a retro-emo scene. And I still won't understand it.

gazzyk1ns

There's quite a lot of predicted possible impacts with the earth, I stumbled across a 2035 one the other day whilst looking up something unrelated. This quite interested me, too.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"There'll be a retro-emo scene. And I still won't understand it.

Retmo. Those Retmo bands are gonna be killer.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Post-retmo, grandad! You're so 2012.

Lu tze

Quote from: "Lee"
I thought it was 2019.

Na..., that's 2012 II followed 13 years later by 2112 "Rush"

BagJob

I'll be spending 9000 eurocredits having the "Snakes on a Plane Trilogy" EVD box-set teleported into my living room.

gazzyk1ns

Hah, I've just seen your "Location". Trust me to get it.

Edit: Also, in 2029:

QuoteFriday, April 13 - The asteroid 99942 Apophis (previously better known by its provisional designation 2004 MN4) will pass within 30,000 km (18,600 mi) of the Earth, very briefly appearing as bright as 3rd magnitude. Not only is this rather close, but it happens to fall on a Friday the 13th. This has caused some people to think that the asteroid will actually make contact with Earth. [1]

Better to burn out than to fade away, baby!

Gazeuse

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien