Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:14:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Work tapes

Started by Manford Thirty-Sixborough, July 20, 2004, 11:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
This afternoon at work, I was in the back checking off a delivery, and decided that, rather than enduring Viking fucking FM, I'd put on my MiniDisc Walkman through portable speakers.

The trouble is, my disc contains about 5 hours of music, which, ordinarily, I play on random and fast-forward according to my mood - this meant that I was constantly going to skip tracks, taking me away from the job I was doing, and my colleagues kept slagging off my musical tastes.

So, what should I put on a dis that I can just leave in the player? My first thought was comedy, but I don't want to end up paying too much attention to the sounds, and not enough working.

Given that I'm setting off for work in 8 hours, what can I put onto a disc for tomorrow that I can readily access tonight?

TraceyQ

Classic rock is always a favourite, something that's familiar to the ear.

Led Zep, Guns and Roses, Black Sabbath etc.. it will get everyone in a good frame of mind for work, too.

Lt Plonker

I did the same thing with my MP3 thingy at college once. No one really reacted, except right at the end when I said I had to take it home. One of my friends poked his head up and said:

"Was that yours then, Dave?"
"Yes."
"Oh. That explains the shirt and sunglasses then."

Hmm.

What about TV themes? People like those. Well I do. It makes a good day-long guessing game.

Surely everyone likes Tamla Motown and Northern Soul.

Rage Against the Machine ???

mrpants

I like to listen to Brainfreeze and Product Placement by Shadow and Cut Chemist.  Lots of rare funk and soul 45s mixed together extremely well.  It's got good pacing too so there's always something to keep you going, if you see what I mean.

what about some of the more upbeat punky stuff like Less Than Jake

It'd probably appeal to the lovers of more harder music, but it's not too hard.  it'll be fun.  & well-paced to induce a more productive working rate of packaging.

Lumiere

Yes, as someone else suggested, some Zep and Sabbath. Also, heartily recommend QOTSA's mind blowing Songs For The Deaf.

Also, Pink Floyd's ANIMALS. It's sooo good. You pay a scrap of attention to it and you get submersed in it, so you don't HAVE to listen to it in-depth.

Quote from: "Manford Thirty-Sixborough"my colleagues kept slagging off my musical tastes.

you either need to get better colleagues, or a better taste in music.
or try and broaden their minds to new and exciting music.

what about a compilation?
a compilation so fantastically varied they won't have time to think whether they hate it or not.

...The Fall, Serge Gainsbourge, Gang of Four, Interpol, John Spencer, Liars, Braniac, Velvet Underground, The Cramps...

dan dirty ape

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"Surely everyone likes Tamla Motown and Northern Soul.

Yeah, old funk/soul's probably your best bet. Or some old skool hip hop anthems. I always put 'Apache' by Michael Viner's Incredible Bongo Band on when I've got the weekday arse. And as Rocket From The Crypt sagely noted in the sleevenotes for 'Scream, Dracula, Scream': "A little James Brown turns a frown upside down".

Either that or go the antagonistic route and make a custom built mix tape full of tracks you know they'll hate, slap it on and make an "any questions?" face.

I used to work in a postroom with a guy who played Emerson Lake and Palmer, panpipe music and Christian rock, before a coup took place and we 'despatched' his CD collection to the bin. Whatever you're offending these people with it can't be as bad as that, unless that's you, David. In which case, give the fuckers a break!

Doctor Stamen

I used to work with a guy who kept putting his bhangra tapes on all the time, when everyone else was perfectly happy listening to the radio.  This was back in the days when the Evening Session used to be half decent and before Zane Fucking Lowe came along.  Got so fed up with it one evening, I wrecked the tape player on the stereo with a screwdriver.

These days I get to listen to what I want, and the others in the office have got decent tastes as well.  No complaints about the noise from neighbours either - the other day I was on my own and put The Who Live At Leeds on so loud I couldn't hear the phone.  Very nice indeed.

A Passing Turk Slipper

I often listen to NOFX while working, stick on The Decline and Pump up the Valuum and watch the hours fly past.

NattyDread

Quote from: "dan dirty ape"
: "A little James Brown turns a frown upside down".

That's lovely.

Dr David V

Why not take a clipboard to work with you, ask everyone what they like, pick the things that you like from that list, and play those.