Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,323
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:31:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Most overrated films of all time

Started by graffic, May 06, 2013, 02:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

graffic

My most overrated film of all time, and one that makes me angry and makes me despise the people who defend it, and the more times I watch it the more this is re-enforced, is Goodfella's.

I don't have a problem with people who like films that I hate. For example, I understand Transformers is very popular and I'm fine with that but I personally hated it, and I understand that some people like science fiction, however I'm not interested in that.

However Goodfella's, even for a gangster film, has got to be one of the most cynical, nihilst films that is simultaneously hugely popular and respected. Ray Liotta is shit. He is one of the most greasy, cynical characters ever made in any film. Every single scene of goodfella's is permeated with cynicism. None of the characters have any redeeming qualities.

Those who claim to like watching a bunch of un-refined, greasy, socially retarded Italian American's strut around in suits for several hours, getting all the women and living the life have low self esteem or have a strange interest in American culture that I've never had.

checkoutgirl

Ahh, good times. I have to say that I preferred the film After Hours , not nearly as many mean men doing horrid things. I don't like mean men doing horrid things and enforcing stereotypes.....and decontextualising the radical feminist agenda of the epocal era as regards gender specific roles and classism, I prefer demobilised liberalism with hints of socio political communistic lesbianism....and stuff.

graffic

I don't like the negative karma but I interpret it as a homosexual covert advance, Morrison Lard. You are attratced to me and this is manifested as hate. Sorry I am straight, my answer is no.

Morrison Lard

Quote from: graffic on May 06, 2013, 02:47:45 PM
one that makes me angry and makes me despise the people who defend it

Quote from: graffic on May 06, 2013, 02:47:45 PM
I don't have a problem with people who like films that I hate.
It's been said before, but worth repeating.
Stick to your story you idiot cunt.

graffic

Quote from: Morrison Lard on May 06, 2013, 03:02:03 PM

The point, which you know so I don't why you bothered posting that reply, is that goodfella's is an exception.  The only rational explanation for people  liking  it is that they have low-self esteem/or are uneducated.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Morrison Lard on May 06, 2013, 03:02:03 PM

Morrison, can you not see that you are being blinded by a patriarchal machismo schism that is controlled by the hebrew accountants of the Knights Templar who are hell bent on militarising the male dominated socio macho greaseball initiative conspiracy ?

I would have thought that was obvious.

eluc55

I like the scene where Culkin swings a paint pot into his face.

Thomas

EDIT - Right, yeah, should have checked the opening post first. It's one of those threads.

BlodwynPig

I've never seen Goodfellas, but have noticed Lorraine Bracco from Rizzoli and Isles is in it, so now I am going to watch it.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 06, 2013, 03:19:54 PM
I've never seen Goodfellas, but have noticed Lorraine Bracco from Rizzoli and Isles is in it, so now I am going to watch it.

I'm probably talking out of school here but incidentally, Bracco has fantastic legs. Keep it under your hat though. I don't want to be branded a sexualist by 'im upthread.

vrailaine

...I find it incredibly weird that you didn't say the psychiatrist from the Sopranos.

Blumf

Have you see The Krays yet graffic?

Replies From View

Depressed Beyond Tables

I never understood how he goes from being chased by the FBI to having the top of his head cut open and his brain cooked and eaten.

The Βoston Crab

Goodfella's is shite, thank God someone finally brought these fucks down a peg or two,

BlodwynPig

Quote from: vrailaine on May 06, 2013, 03:30:15 PM
...I find it incredibly weird that you didn't say the psychiatrist from the Sopranos.

I've never watched The Sopranos and am not really into US Mafia films.

Replies From View

I haven't seen it either.  Is it like The Godfather films or did it just rip off the name slightly?  Because I haven't seen The Godfather films either - the closest I've got is Revenge of the Pink Panther.  Is Goodfellas like Revenge of the Pink Panther?  If not then how is it different?

Johnny Townmouse

Lay off the apostrophe you thick cunts.

Replies From View

Exactly and stop shortening it when it's clearly meant to be Goodfellows.

graffic

Quote from: Blumf on May 06, 2013, 04:04:42 PM
Have you see The Krays yet graffic?

I have not seen that film the Krays

I haven't seen it either.  Is it like The Godfather films or did it just rip off the name slightly?  Because I haven't seen The Godfather films either - the closest I've got is Revenge of the Pink Panther.

In my opinion the Godfather is better. The Godfather, although also overrated, is slightly less greacy and laddish and the characters are less socially retarded to an extent. Michael Corleone at the beginning goes in the army and gets dragged into the mafia whereas in Goodfella's right from the first line it's "all my life I wanted to be a gangster" followed by guns being shot, getting women, unrefined Italian Americans cackling at shit jokes and at no point is there any even consideration of the possibility of reflecting on any of it. This continues throughout the whole film, scene after scene of it till the point of boredom. At the end Ray Li Otta grasses all his friends up, gets away with it all and then after being given a new identity still thinks being a gangster was better, and then punk rock music kicks in and the credits roll.

The Βoston Crab

Mean Street's has the same problem, just fucking wankers bigging themselves up about how they're touch enough to live on the Mean Street's. Fucking Pa Cino giving it large.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: The Βoston Crab on May 06, 2013, 06:37:22 PM
Mean Street's has the same problem, just fucking wankers bigging themselves up about how they're touch enough to live on the Mean Street's. Fucking Pa Cino giving it large.

Was All Pasino in Mean Streets ? Did he play the mook ?

graffic

Quote from: The Βoston Crab on May 06, 2013, 06:37:22 PM
Fucking Pa Cino giving it large.

Has this discussion turned into one taking place in a wetherspoons pub? Can you not speak in proper language?

Johnny Townmouse

Scarfface - snorting coke and Pacino chainsawing through people's faces.

Utter shit.

Del Palma?

HELL Palma more like.

wosl

I think Pachinos quite a one-dimesnional actor. RANDOM stresses, yeah we get it LOL

El Unicornio, mang

I've never seen Goodfellas

This makes me cry.

Goodfellas is the best film ever made (I've watched it well over 200 times, that's good repeat viewing quality), and we'll hear no more about it please!

graffic

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on May 06, 2013, 06:54:47 PM
Scarfface - snorting coke and Pacino chainsawing through people's faces.

Utter shit.

Del Palma?

HELL Palma more like.

Scarface is a lot more entertaining than goodfella's. The ending is like a Greek tragedy.

Noodle Lizard

Actually, 'Scarface' would make my list of most overrated films of all time.  'Goodfellas' too, but to a much lesser extent.