Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:19:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Most overrated films of all time

Started by graffic, May 06, 2013, 02:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: graffic on May 06, 2013, 07:08:56 PM
Scarface is a lot more entertaining than goodfella's. The ending is like a Greek tragedy.

Your absolutely right.

But neither are as good as Martin Scorcece's Ca$ino.

nickopedia

Shawshank Redemption. Disgustingly average.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: nickopedia on May 06, 2013, 07:44:33 PM
Shawshank Redemption. Disgustingly average.

Here here. At the time, of course, it stood out...watching it now, its not as good as escape from alcatraz.

El Unicornio, mang

Danger Man

Pulp Fiction.

What a load of shite.

El Unicornio, mang

Rear Window - Not a bad film, but it's genuinely regarded as Hitchcock's best and I'm not sure I'd even have it as top 10 of his films.

Johnny Townmouse

I think it is probably the most 'entertaining' and least demanding of his films, and people like it for that. It doesn't confront or demand much from the viewer. However Vertigo is generally regarded as his best work, if I had to pick one.

I am luk-warm to Hitchcock, and always have been. Despite that, I do really like Psycho a lot.

Sam

I love Goodfellas Pizza. Matthew Scorsaisy's finest baking. I like the topping that says 'I'm too old for this shit', as a guest star in the films with that man from the Bravehart films. I know what graphic means, though, the crust a bit greasy, making it all over-rated, like the early expressionist 'The Cabinet of Dr Oetker'.

On the box it says 'Funny How?' and I agree. I'm not ah-mew-zshed. Like The Queen. Of Comedy. With that Rupert fellow. Didn't like his scarf, or his adventures for that matter. More of a Beano fellow.

I didn't like Ray the Otter. His fur wasn't realistic enough. Robert Dinero told him off for buying an otter coat too soon after the Lufthansa heist, after the Lufthansa heist. He said everthing twice, you see. I though using Robert Dinero (Spanish for money in Spain) was too heavy handed symbolism for the film, about the cynicism of money.

Joe Peshi? Short for Peshiwari Nan, another reason to hate the film, as it's racist towards Chinese people.

The more you pick at the pizza, the worse it gets. Graphite's bang on.

chocky909

Thomas

Is this just a thread where we name films we don't particularly like, then? Or does 'overrated' also imply that too many people like a certain film, or that they like it 'too much'?

How much can I enjoy Withnail & I, for example, before I overate it? I'll need a percentage, please.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on May 06, 2013, 09:08:22 PM
I think it is probably the most 'entertaining' and least demanding of his films, and people like it for that. It doesn't confront or demand much from the viewer. However Vertigo is generally regarded as his best work, if I had to pick one.

I am luk-warm to Hitchcock, and always have been. Despite that, I do really like Psycho a lot.

I'd say Psycho and North by Northwest are my favourites. Vertigo probably third (although James Stewart was miscast). I am a bit lukewarm to Hitchcock as a Director though. I think his best work owes as much to the people he worked with (Bernard Hermann, Robert Burks, Cary Grant, etc) and the source material as to him.

Quote from: Thomas on May 06, 2013, 09:20:04 PM
Is this just a thread where we name films we don't particularly like, then? Or does 'overrated' also imply that too many people like a certain film, or that they like it 'too much'?

Pretty much. Threads like this are always a bit pointless really.

Consignia

The Βoston Crab

Click, everyone goin on about it but at the end of day its just a film like another.

Adam Sadler use to be one of the biggest stars of comedy but Click ruined all for me.

Thomas

I went to see Click at the cinema with two not-quite friends whilst trying to make actual-friends. We also went to see She's the Man.

We didn't become actual-friends.

graffic

Quote from: chocky909 on May 06, 2013, 09:17:37 PM
shit thread

It was such a shit thread yet you cared enough to write a comment out and contribute to it.

It's uncalled for, trollish comments like this that make posting on c&b such a trial.

wosl

Scoresases suppose to be influenced by Robair Bresson but I can never see where its rubbed off.  Goodfella's is about as close to A man ecscaped as Faulty towers is to something from the 60s that people who were born in the 40s wouldn't watch.

chocky909

Quote from: graffic on May 06, 2013, 10:56:39 PM
It was such a shit thread yet you cared enough to write a comment out and contribute to it.

It's uncalled for, trollish comments like this that make posting on c&b such a trial.

shit post.

Thomas

Says Captain I Hate Dad's Army, posting in the Dad's Army thread telling everyone they've got 'shit taste.'[nb]to be fair, you did delete that comment when nobody bothered replying.[/nb]

Replies From View

Quote from: Thomas on May 06, 2013, 09:20:04 PM
How much can I enjoy Withnail & I, for example, before I overate it? I'll need a percentage, please.

I do think there's a point there with that.  I grew up with Withnail and I being treated as a brilliant film by friends who'd encountered it at an event that I hadn't been at - it was their discovery of a film that hadn't been massively mainstream, and being quite a bitter teenager I consequently found myself less drawn into any magic it might have.  Really I was jealous because I hadn't discovered that one for myself.

Films that I saw on my own before I even knew what they were, and found them to be great and had to rush out to tell people about them - those are never overrated.

Thomas

I'm one of the 'lucky ones,' barely having heard a word about the film before seeing it. A lot of general criticism[nb]not all, obviously. I do accept that someone can hate Withnail & I.[/nb] I've read is to do with it having been hyped up and quoted to the point of irritation.

Kane Jones

Or alternatively, why start a thread stating for the umpteenth time how much you despise a film that you know the majority of people who post on here like?

It's usually only 17 year olds who have to keep reinforcing the same opinion about something time and time again.

Operty1

Relax, will ya? Ya flip right out, what's got into you? He's just breaking your balls a little bit, that's all. only kidding with ya...

Now go home and get your fucking shine box

holyzombiejesus

Seconding (or thirding) The Shawshank Redemption. Doesn't it frequently win 'best film ever' polls? Laughable schmaltz. It's not even anything approaching the best prison films ever.

The Βoston Crab

All the films I am able to define viewers by, such as Fight Club or Trainspotting or Lock Stock. They're terrible film's and so are there audience.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: The Βoston Crab on May 07, 2013, 11:34:21 AM
All the films I am able to define viewers by, such as Fight Club or Trainspotting or Lock Stock. They're terrible film's and so are there audience.

Their. I like Fight Club and Trainspotting, but regard Lock Stock as a truly awful film. So by your reckoning, I suppose that makes me only a partially terrible person. That's good to know.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: The Βoston Crab on May 07, 2013, 11:34:21 AM

I don't think any of them are terrible, but I'm instantly suspicious of the taste of anyone who says they're their favourite films.  See also 'The Godfather', 'Scarface' etc.

The Βoston Crab

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 07, 2013, 11:48:04 AM
Their. I like Fight Club and Trainspotting, but regard Lock Stock as a truly awful film. So by your reckoning, I suppose that makes me only a partially terrible person. That's good to know.

Pastiche.

graffic

Quote from: Kane Jones on May 07, 2013, 07:13:28 AM
Or alternatively, why start a thread stating for the umpteenth time how much you despise a film that you know the majority of people who post on here like?

It's usually only 17 year olds who have to keep reinforcing the same opinion about something time and time again.

A lot of posters on this forum have good taste and take on "trends" like the Ricky Gervais trend, and other trends. I don't see why the trend of Goodfella's shouldn't be taken on. And I know I'm right about this.

Goodfella's isn't just a shit overrated film like Scarface which is also unpleasant and greasy. Scarface does have a good ending and is entertaining. Goodfella's is scene after scene of nihilist, unrefined Italian Americans killing people without even entertaining the idea of reflecting on any of it. It's been described as the best American film ever made.

It's  "17 year olds" in the bodies of grown men who think a story told by Ray Liotta about unrefined, Italian American social retards with borderline gypsy like social graces, shooting people, never reflecting on any of it, whilst women fawn over it  is a "masterpiece" and one of the best films ever made.