Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:25:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Pegg

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, May 08, 2013, 01:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: icehaven on May 08, 2013, 08:58:17 PM
Theoretically I like him because of Spaced, but...I always have this sneaking suspicion that the relaxed, funky fellow persona is a tad false. Partly because it usually is, isn't it, partly because I cannot stand (and never, ever believe) people who claim their massive success (particularly in the entertainment industry) has happened to them virtually by accident, and I'm sure I've heard him peddling that schtick a few times, and partly because I remember reading an interview with Jessica Hynes/Stevenson where she practically burst into tears over the way him and Edgar Wright basically took off together after Spaced and left her out. Which is probably not exactly how it happened anyway. I'm sure he's lovely really.   

I never saw the Hynes interview myself, but my friend told me about it - in fact, he's the only person I've ever heard mention it, so it's good to hear someone else being aware of it. Doesn't she essentially say that, after Spaced, she assumed she, Pegg and Wright had a good thing going that they would build on as a team, only for the two chaps to go off and do their own thing. From what I heard, it sounded like she genuinely didn't understand why she was left out/not considered part of what came next.

Even her cameo in SotD seems to be about making her part of the past. I remember a promotional character guide where Yvonne was described along the lines of 'the type of old friend you've been through it all with and will always love, but have grown apart from'.

Kane Jones

Interesting because I'm a huge Spaced fan, but SotD and Hot Fuzz less so.  Just goes to show that the magic for me was all three of them, not just Pegg and Wright.  Perhaps Jess was the 'heart' of Spaced.  Aside from the gags/references, it's the warmth and heart of Spaced that made it so great to me.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 09, 2013, 04:24:46 PM
Star Trek reminds us that in the far off future the hair styling and fashion trends of the 1960s, 1990s and 00s will be very popular.

But no rastabilly skank, apparently.

chocky909

Quote from: Kane Jones on May 09, 2013, 05:45:55 PM
Interesting because I'm a huge Spaced fan, but SotD and Hot Fuzz less so.  Just goes to show that the magic for me was all three of them, not just Pegg and Wright.  Perhaps Jess was the 'heart' of Spaced.  Aside from the gags/references, it's the warmth and heart of Spaced that made it so great to me.

I remember being hugely disappointed by SOTD the first time I saw it and I do put it down to that lack of warmth that I assume Jess brought to the table. All the Spaced characters were massively more likable than the borderline unpleasant ones that we are supposed to root for in Shaun and Fuzz. I especially disliked Frost's character in Shaun being such a departure from the lovable Mike in Spaced.

It makes me properly sad to hear that Jess was left behind by the three boys. I'm even a little bit angry. Then of course we don't know the entire story.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I agree completely. Hot Fuzz in particular for me felt hollow, like they were going through the motions, but didn't really care, beyond getting their celeb mates cameos.

I will say that I thought Timothy Dalton was that film's one redeeming feature, playing his part like the Cheshire Cat.

Icehaven

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on May 09, 2013, 05:41:01 PM
I never saw the Hynes interview myself, but my friend told me about it - in fact, he's the only person I've ever heard mention it, so it's good to hear someone else being aware of it. Doesn't she essentially say that, after Spaced, she assumed she, Pegg and Wright had a good thing going that they would build on as a team, only for the two chaps to go off and do their own thing. From what I heard, it sounded like she genuinely didn't understand why she was left out/not considered part of what came next.

Yep that was the gist, and it didn't come across as if she was trying to make them sound like bastards or anything, just that she really felt abandoned. Pegg and Wright might believe she has a point too, as if they'd thought her feelings were unjustified it's unlikely they'd have given her a cameo in SOTD. 

I mean this as no insult to her whatsoever as I loved her in Spaced, but there's a bit in Family Guy that made me think of this a bit. Peter, Chris and Meg are trying to write a sitcom, and although they're all coming up with awful ideas, Peter and Chris keep poo-pooing Meg's suggestions while championing each others, then sneaking off to bitch about her, then they eventually fire her. (I imagine it's probably supposed to be a reference to US comedy writing rooms or something.)

That Jessica Hynes thing has given me a fucking monumental sad.

Icehaven

Quote from: clingfilm portent on May 12, 2013, 09:48:00 PM
That Jessica Hynes thing has given me a fucking monumental sad.

Sorry! If it's any consolation she was just on the BAFTAs and she seemed fine. She didn't win but still looked happy.

Small Man Big Horse

Famous Mortimer

I just watched Pegg and Frost on Australian interview show "A Quiet Word With", and he mentions Jessica a few times. He says that they had the idea for the show because the sitcoms aimed at their age bracket (Coupling, Game On) said nothing to them about their lives.

He's neither complimentary or critical about her, then just says he and Edgar Wright had the idea for Shaun of the Dead, and they went off to do that. No mention of why they stopped working together though.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

On the upside Hynes/Stevenson ceased to be as a funny person ten years ago. I doubt we'd have missed much.

The only thing she's been good for is as a role model for geeky slightly dysfunctional girls of average looks who seem to oddly hang on to everything she does and says even though she became an anodyne boring make-up an high heels type ages and ages ago.

olliebean

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 23, 2013, 08:21:30 AM
On the upside Hynes/Stevenson ceased to be as a funny person ten years ago. I doubt we'd have missed much.

You didn't watch Twenty Twelve at all, then?

checkoutgirl

Interesting because I'm a huge Spaced fan, but SotD and Hot Fuzz less so.  Just goes to show that the magic for me was all three of them, not just Pegg and Wright.  Perhaps Jess was the 'heart' of Spaced.

I have to agree, I've always loved Spaced, it's so well written and shot and it took me about 10 years to realise that Jessica's character is probably the funniest and most likeable and that Jessica is the most naturally funny out of all of them. At the risk of cheapening that sentiment, I hope this realisation is not connected to my midlife-crisis-lite attraction to Hynes.

phantom_power

The only thing she's been good for is as a role model for geeky slightly dysfunctional girls of average looks who seem to oddly hang on to everything she does and says even though she became an anodyne boring make-up an high heels type ages and ages ago.

I think that is more to do with the opportunities open to women in comedy than a reflection on her. Spaced was a once-in-a-lifetime confluence of people and circumstance so I doubt it would be easy to create another vehicle for her talents like that so she has to rely on acting gigs.

Also, twenty twelve, as mentioned above.

Also also what's wrong with make-up and high heels?

checkoutgirl

The only thing she's been good for is as a role model for geeky slightly dysfunctional girls of average looks

I hope you die in a car crash.

Beagle 2

She might have been involved in some none-too-brilliant stuff, but she's always the best thing about whatever she's in, and she really could have elevated Hot Fuzz and SOTD. As for the second part, in casually dismissing geeky dysfunctional women and women who wear make up and high heels, you're only left with about 2% of the gender left to choose from, so congrats on finding a partner who meets your very specific criteria!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteYou didn't watch Twenty Twelve at all, then?

I watched the rubbish bits, I can't remember the good ones.

olliebean

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 23, 2013, 05:21:03 PM
I watched the rubbish bits, I can't remember the good ones.

A lot of the best bits were the bits with Jessica Hynes in.

olliebean

Good timing for this discussion about Hynes, as I notice she's written and is starring in a new sitcom, Up The Women, starting next Thursday.