Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:06:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Films where the baddies win

Started by Famous Mortimer, May 09, 2013, 05:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

I got home from work to find the last half hour of "The Anderson Tapes", an excellent tense thriller from the early 70s, directed by Sidney Lumet, featuring Sean Connery, a very very young Christopher Walken, and a host of others.

Anyway, the original ending..."Columbia Pictures was not happy with the planned ending of the film, in which Connery escaped to be pursued by police helicopters, fearing that it would hurt sales to television, which generally required that bad deeds not go unpunished."

It got me thinking about films where the baddies, or the people on the wrong side of the law, get away with it. I was trying to think of earlier examples, because nowadays it's all criminals doing bad things and being rewarded for it. What are your favourite early examples?

Egyptian Feast

The Parallax View. For the test sequence alone it's a classic, but the ending is also chilling.

Thomas

Skyfall. But Bond essentially regenerates in the process and so also wins, sort of. It's a personal victory.

EDIT - Ah, wait, you said early examples.

Noodle Lizard

'Se7en' DUH.

'Final Destination'?

Blumf

The Conversation

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978 version obviously)

Brazil

El Unicornio, mang

Chinatown. One of the bleakest endings I've ever seen.

Carlito's Way

Johnny Townmouse

Very recent, but given that the protagonist is not a baddie, I would nominate Eden Lake.

And Irreversible.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on May 09, 2013, 06:32:10 PM
Very recent, but given that the protagonist is not a baddie, I would nominate Eden Lake.

Not a baddie?

Johnny Townmouse

El Unicornio, mang

Putting a tire round a kid's neck and setting it on fire is pretty bad, I'd say

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on May 09, 2013, 07:05:35 PM
Putting a tire round a kid's neck and setting it on fire is pretty bad, I'd say

I think they're trying to say that the chick wasn't a baddie ... but I honestly don't know why they mentioned it.  They really should have just said "I nominate Eden Lake because it satisfies the criteria of this thread".

El Unicornio, mang

But she dies at the end!* In that house with the kid and his dodgy parents

*Plus she's not a baddie

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 09, 2013, 05:58:51 PMIt got me thinking about films where the baddies, or the people on the wrong side of the law, get away with it. I was trying to think of earlier examples, because nowadays it's all criminals doing bad things and being rewarded for it. What are your favourite early examples?

I was merely indicating that I mentioned it was a recent film, but not one in which the main characters are baddies/criminals.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on May 09, 2013, 07:10:18 PM
But she dies at the end!* In that house with the kid and his dodgy parents

*Plus she's not a baddie

FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

YES, SHE'S NOT A BADDIE.  SHE DIES AT THE END, AT THE HAND OF THE BADDIES.  HENCE IT'S A FILM IN WHICH THE BADDIES WIN. 

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on May 09, 2013, 07:15:08 PM
I was merely indicating that I mentioned it was a recent film, but not one in which the main characters are baddies/criminals.

Yeah, you shouldn't have fucking mentioned that last fucking part.  Look what you've done to this forum.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 09, 2013, 07:16:18 PM
Yeah, you shouldn't have fucking mentioned that last fucking part.  Look what you've done to this forum.

I should have learned by now the CHAOS that ensues with such posts.

El Unicornio, mang

That's my bad, I was getting 'protagonist' and 'antagonist' mixed up. Although I thought this was just general films where baddies win, not when the baddies are the protagonists.

BlodwynPig

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on May 09, 2013, 07:19:29 PM
That's my bad, I was getting 'protagonist' and 'antagonist' mixed up. Although I thought this was just general films where baddies win, not when the baddies are the protagonists.

NurseNugent

Die Sehnsucht der Veronika Voss. Not that any of the characters are particularly good, but the most evil characters profit from their crimes and get away with murder. 

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Scanners might not be the best example but seeing that picture reminded me that it was a film where right up until the end, nearly right at the end of the film you have no idea who is going to win.

garbed_attic

Blade Runner / controversial

And less controversially, Herzog's Bad Lieutenant which is still dizzyingly amoral in its worldview, though wryly.

Black Ship

Gulftastic

Sweeney!

The shadowy people pulling the strings get away with it.

Mustow Green

Little Shop of Horrors, (Frank Oz remake).  The ending was filmed and then cut to the happier ending.
Here's the 'Don't feed the plants' song where Audrey 2 and friends destroy New York.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSPsyCYaIW4

There is more, the old, unfinished work print includes the scene where Seymour feeds a dead Audrey to the plant then he also get's eaten, (all these clips are on Youtube in B&W - almost 15 mins in total was changed).

SavageHedgehog

The Lawnmower Man? He wasn't mowing lawns anymore by the end, that's for sure

Kane Jones

Johnny Townmouse

biggytitbo

All Quiet on the Western Front.