Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:22:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Why Do You Look Down On Britney Spears?

Started by Viscova, May 14, 2013, 08:23:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viscova

As it averages out, Britney is the permanent and ultimate icon of the underaged and nihilistic. Same goes for Tatu and the rest of the girl pops. At what point does cynicism turn towards the hegemonically acceptable like Jimmy Hendrix and The Doors?

When are we going to get tired of easy targets and start busting caps at the pseudo-sacreds?

Urinal Cake

Plenty of people hate Morrison, Morrisey, Dylan etc.

Jerzy Bondov

I don't. She's great. Although that song she's done with Will.i.am is pure shit

Kane Jones

Her first batch of Max Martin/Andreas Carlsson-penned songs were about as perfect 'pop' as you're ever likely to hear.  When she tried to go 'cool' and I lost interest (Toxic, etc).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on May 14, 2013, 08:37:19 AM

Agreed, anything the black eyed peas touch turns to shit. They are the band that are most deserving of hatred. Britney did a few catchy pop tunes in the mid-period, but her later stuff has been bland.

Viscova

Agreedly, Will I Fucking Am, is pure shit.

Viscova

Quote from: Kane Jones on May 14, 2013, 09:00:31 AM
Her first batch of Max Martin/Andreas Carlsson-penned songs were about as perfect 'pop' as you're ever likely to hear.  When she tried to go 'cool' and I lost interest (Toxic, etc).

Have to disagree. Toxic was pure sex. It is just about the most perfect song between a Whitby lass and and an Austin Texas boy as you can get.

I used to slag her off when I was growing up with her music but now I just feel an odd respect for her.  But then I'm one of these armchair feminists so I'm bound to.

Gavin M

I only understand every fifth word of the opening post but I do know that Blackout is a great pop LP, and in some ways acted as a precursor to all the glitchy pop that followed.  Before that I always found her a bit 'look at me'.  She does seemed to have settled a bit now.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Viscova on May 14, 2013, 10:26:05 AM
Have to disagree. Toxic was pure sex. It is just about the most perfect song between a Whitby lass and and an Austin Texas boy as you can get.

It's cooler, certainly.  That's what I was saying.  If I have to listen to pop though[nb]And I prefer not to.[/nb], I'd rather catchy anthemic cheese than jaggy urban rhythms any day. But I do realise I'm in the minority here.

Viscova

Quote from: Kane Jones on May 14, 2013, 11:16:07 AM
It's cooler, certainly.  That's what I was saying.  If I have to listen to pop though[nb]And I prefer not to.[/nb], I'd rather catchy anthemic cheese than jaggy urban rhythms any day. But I do realise I'm in the minority here.

Not at all. We, you and me and other like us, reject the hegemony. It isn't about being "cool" anymore. It's about rejecting the cool folks and recognizing that good is good.

Toxic was great. Her early-mid period stuff was great.

The Will-i-am song is awful as you'd expect but she's had some other clunkers too like Slave 4 U etc.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I , for one , think Dylan and the Doors are Godawful shit; and yetI still buy Mojo magazine (mainly for the free CDs, which are usually interesting).Intriguing, eh ?

I quite like 'Toxic", but on the whole beligerently berate Britney's bereft-of-brio blandness (blobby body bowadays....erm, nowadays, too).

checkoutgirl

Are people comparing Spears to Hendrix ? This is fucking bullshit. Spears is a redneck with shit songs. Why do people think that her output is perfect pop ? Is pop really that shit ? Hendrix could play a guitar like a demon, Spears can wear a school uniform. I think there's a huge difference.

I remember in 1999, me and a mate went to see Bentley Rhythm Ace. When they DJed they tended to play a lot of mash ups. Me and me mate pay our money and stroll in, BRA are in session and the tune playing is the instrumental version of "Hit Me One More Time" by Spears with an acapella of Eminem or something over it. We stood there for 3 minutes and then left. Fucking crap.

Britney Spears is the nasty chunks blown out of the arsehole of the music industry.

She looks alright in a red rubber costume though, I'll give her that.

The Roofdog

It is isn't it. Why is she speaking in that weird English accent? Is it even her?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Viscova on May 14, 2013, 11:30:34 AM
Not at all. We, you and me and other like us, reject the hegemony. It isn't about being "cool" anymore. It's about rejecting the cool folks and recognizing that good is good.

Most people come to this conclusion when they're about 25, don't they?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: The Always Red Society on May 14, 2013, 11:34:32 AM
Toxic was great. Her early-mid period stuff was great.

The Will-i-am song is awful as you'd expect but she's had some other clunkers too like Slave 4 U etc.

The Miguel Migs remix of Slave 4 U is one of the best tunes of the 90s.

Kane Jones

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 14, 2013, 12:27:20 PM
The Miguel Migs remix of Slave 4 U is one of the best tunes of the 90s.

Noughties, surely?

kngen

I went to see her once. It was alright. Girls Aloud were much better.

Subtle Mocking

The Doors especially are tedious pub-rock shite.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on May 14, 2013, 03:28:44 PM

I used to think this.  When I was a teenager, my girlfriend worshipped The Doors and had a real thing for Jim Morrison.  Consequently that clouded my judgement somewhat. I went out of my way to hate them.  Now, I actually really like them.  Their debut is near perfect in my eyes.[nb]to my ears?[/nb]

BlodwynPig

El Unicornio, mang

I like that Will I Am one, it's a good sing along dance club song. The only Britney songs I really like though are Hit Me Baby One More Time and Overprotected. Didn't like Toxic. She still has a massive gay fanbase too, natch.

syntaxerror

Interesting that a lot of people mention Toxic - I was listening to Marc Riley's 6 music evening show a while back and he played Toxic non-ironically and was genuinely quite defensive about it and his decision to play it, on the grounds that it was a great pop record.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on May 14, 2013, 03:28:44 PM

On their last two albums, maybe, but there's nothing remotely pub-rocky (or tedious) about the first four. Although I'd happily listen to a shit-hot band playing this in a pub: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tah0OnS3nBU

Vodka Margarine

My favourite single by Britney is Stronger. Stronger than yesterday, now there's nothing but my way. My loneliness ain't killing me no more... I am stronger.

As for the 'sacreds', I hate everything about Led Zeppelin. The songs, the guitars, the hair, the clothes, that fucking fucking voice. Charmless, horrible shite. I would honestly rather listen to Alt-J, and believe me that is saying something.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on May 15, 2013, 12:10:41 AM
My favourite single by Britney is Stronger. Stronger than yesterday, now there's nothing but my way. My loneliness ain't killing me no more... I am stronger.

As for the 'sacreds', I hate everything about Led Zeppelin. The songs, the guitars, the hair, the clothes, that fucking fucking voice. Charmless, horrible shite. I would honestly rather listen to Alt-J, and believe me that is saying something.

I have no strong feelings either way about Britney, but I think Stronger is one of her better songs. As I said up there, I prefer her more anthemic almost 80s rock-style songs with big choruses over her more 'hip' songs like Toxic.  It's that bloody surf guitar line mixed with Bollywood strings. Tries way too hard to be cool and sexy.

Everything else in your post is incorrect though.[nb]In my opinion. I'm too polite to not add this.[/nb]

The Roofdog

Footnotes don't count Kane, you rude bastard.

Kane Jones

Quote from: The Roofdog on May 15, 2013, 09:54:10 AM
Footnotes don't count Kane, you rude bastard.

Okay Mr Roofdog.  Sorry, I wasn't aware of this!  In future I'll be sure to remember this rule.  All the best![nb]P.S. Fuck you, cunty balls.  Doesn't count, right?[/nb]

The Roofdog