Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:49:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

18/X/R/NC-17 movies that could quite easily be rated G/PG/PG-13/12/A

Started by Noodle Lizard, May 17, 2013, 11:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MojoJojo

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 17, 2013, 12:11:02 PM
EDIT:  Yeah, 'Dazed & Confused' was originally an 18 but got dropped to a 15 for its DVD release in the early 2000s.

Ah, I did check imdb to see if it had been lowered but they didn't have the DVDs rating for some reason.

I've not seen the film Noodle references where Matt Stone explains Orgazmo got a NC-17 dues to it being an independent film - but I'm going to guess part of the reason might have been that Orgazmo was never going to get a big cinema release, so the MPAA could just slap an NC-17 on it knowing there would be little motivation to challenge it.

garbed_attic

Eraserhead being an 18 seems odd to me... an 18 due to existential horror? Especially odd since  the far more explicit Mulholland Drive is 15 rated.

In fact, I watched Mulholland Drive when I was 14 with my parents. Rewatching it, I'm surprised I don't remember feeling awkward watching the sex scenes and the depressed, fevered masturbation.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: MojoJojo on May 17, 2013, 01:07:37 PM
Ah, I did check imdb to see if it had been lowered but they didn't have the DVDs rating for some reason.

I've not seen the film Noodle references where Matt Stone explains Orgazmo got a NC-17 dues to it being an independent film - but I'm going to guess part of the reason might have been that Orgazmo was never going to get a big cinema release, so the MPAA could just slap an NC-17 on it knowing there would be little motivation to challenge it.

Here you go, you can have this for free:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgyG8y1vg1M 

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 17, 2013, 12:58:51 PM
They didn't want kids to see it

Fair enough but again
Quoteit appears to me that the problem is that cinemas won't carry NC-17

Mister Six

Quote from: Kane Jones on May 17, 2013, 01:01:23 PM
Well, there you are.  Proof that it's gone done you a damage.

Yeah, there's not much to it visually, you do see his head expand and then the 'splat' but it's the build-up, his fear and panic, him screaming "it hurts" - and the callousness of it, I suppose.

Yeah. Whereas the big, tough hero of the movie getting a bollock whipping while cracking jokes - and then having a big action scene shortly afterwards - is absolutely nothing by comparison.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Mister Six on May 17, 2013, 01:51:44 PM
Yeah. Whereas the big, tough hero of the movie getting a bollock whipping while cracking jokes - and then having a big action scene shortly afterwards - is absolutely nothing by comparison.

Also regarding this scene in Licence to Kill, it's the 'Fistful Of Dollars' storyline of Bond creating cracks and sowing seeds of betrayal within their organisation.  The guy who gets splatted is a seedy old crim - no doubt, but he hasn't stolen Sanchez's money, which is why he's being splatted. The fact that he didn't really deserve it and that it was all Bond's fault makes it worse too.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: gout_pony on May 17, 2013, 01:10:47 PM
Eraserhead being an 18 seems odd to me... an 18 due to existential horror? Especially odd since  the far more explicit Mulholland Drive is 15 rated.

In fact, I watched Mulholland Drive when I was 14 with my parents. Rewatching it, I'm surprised I don't remember feeling awkward watching the sex scenes and the depressed, fevered masturbation.

Definitely would be a 15 at most (maybe even a 12) these days.

The Godfather is an 18, part III only a 15 despite it having a lot more bad language and just as much violence.

Black Ship

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - the first and only 18 certificate I've seen in the cinema, is really only an 18 because of the drug use, and even the instances of that are pretty tame, compared to Trainspotting for example.

El Unicornio, mang

I always remember being bemused that dirty stand-up videos and stuff like Bottom Live were 18. Even at 14 I didn't think there was that much in them to warrant being more than 15s.

Here's a pretty comprehensive list of baffling R-rating

http://blog.sfgate.com/hottopics/2013/05/13/r-rated-movies-that-should-have-been-rated-pg-13/

Gavin M

Not a film, but I've never really understood why most series of The Thick Of It are rated 18 when there's no violence, gore or sex and it's purely swearing.  You might argue that it's due to the volume and explicit nature of the swearing, but then that doesn't explain why things like the South Park movie and other sweary-heavy films (including In The Loop) get away with a 15.

mjwilson

I was a bit surprised recently when Trance was a 15, thought maybe it felt more like an 18.

Harry Badger

The one that always confused me is Midnight Run, which has no sex, no graphic violence and no use of the c-word (though heavy use of 'fuck' and 'motherfucker' throughout). It's also a fairly light-hearted romp. Bizarrely, it was rated 15 for the cinema but has remained 18 for all subsequent video releases.

I have absolutely no idea why Carpet Remnant World was an 18 either.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Harry Badger on May 17, 2013, 08:26:27 PMI have absolutely no idea why Carpet Remnant World was an 18 either.

Probably the internet letters bit.  But it seems insane to me that any stand-up DVD could have an 18 rating (not that it really matters anymore).

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Black Ship on May 17, 2013, 03:10:28 PM
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - the first and only 18 certificate I've seen in the cinema, is really only an 18 because of the drug use, and even the instances of that are pretty tame, compared to Trainspotting for example.

There's also that whole bit with Christina Ricci's character which is a bit iffy, I suppose.  It is a pretty soft 18, though, yeah.

El Unicornio, mang

Taxi Driver narrowly avoided getting an X-rating (the kiss of death for a movie in America) by desaturating the colours at the end so the blood looked less red. It actually kind of works with the shift in colours though. Would be seen as relatively tame these days.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was an 18. Can't for the life of me think why.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on May 17, 2013, 08:37:45 PM
Taxi Driver narrowly avoided getting an X-rating (the kiss of death for a movie in America) by desaturating the colours at the end so the blood looked less red. It actually kind of works with the shift in colours though. Would be seen as relatively tame these days.

I was surprised when I saw the super-amazing-digital-remastered-re-release a couple of years ago and they hadn't reinstated the original colour scheme for that end scene.  I think the original footage doesn't exist anymore or something, can't remember.

It's alright, but the blood looks orange and it's a bit shit.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on May 17, 2013, 08:37:45 PMOne Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was an 18. Can't for the life of me think why.

Paedophile cunt.

I'm not calling you one, but it's a film which involves paedophilia (well, not really, but sort of) and Jack Nicholson says cunt a few time, doesn't he?

El Unicornio, mang

Yeah, the film stock had unfortunately deteriorated badly. Although on the bright side I think that was the main impetus behind Scorsese starting his film preservation crusade.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 17, 2013, 08:41:39 PM
Paedophile cunt.

I'm not calling you one, but it's a film which involves paedophilia (well, not really, but sort of) and Jack Nicholson says cunt a few time, doesn't he?

Paedophilia? Billy Bibbit is probably the youngest character, and even then he's got to be over 18. Early 20s at a guess (and going by Brad Dourif's age).

Just one 'cunt' that I can remember in there too.

I always assumed the rating was down to the electro-shock therapy scene and the suffocation (and America's fear of 'cunt'), though it should clearly be a 15 at most by today's standards.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on May 18, 2013, 12:46:12 AM
Paedophilia? Billy Bibbit is probably the youngest character, and even then he's got to be over 18. Early 20s at a guess (and going by Brad Dourif's age).

No no no.  McMurphy's in there for statutory rape, isn't he?  It's not shown or talked about much, but it's something.

QuoteJust one 'cunt' that I can remember in there too.

Yeah, but that used to be enough to get an 18.

QuoteI always assumed the rating was down to the electro-shock therapy scene and the suffocation (and America's fear of 'cunt'), though it should clearly be a 15 at most by today's standards.

I don't know what America's (perceived) fear of the word "cunt" has to do with its UK rating.  Yeah, it's a soft 18, but it still got one when it was last submitted in 1998.

Harry Badger

One of the things the BBFC has traditionally been nervous about is depictions of mental hospitals/asylums etc. There's also a suicide in there (I can't remember how graphic it was).

imitationleather

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 17, 2013, 08:32:40 PM
Probably the internet letters bit.  But it seems insane to me that any stand-up DVD could have an 18 rating (not that it really matters anymore).

When I was very young and I'd see that my Nan had Mike Reid and Jim Davidson videos that were 18 rated (and usually with some massive notice on them saying they were "Too rude for TV!") I'd imagine what sort of filth could possibly be contained within them. I won't go in to details, but despite the internet being a twinkle in Tim Berners-Lee's eye[nb]Okay, not true. I'm not that old. I just didn't have the internet and nor did anyone I know.[/nb] at the time I was still able to get pretty, pretty dark. Then I got a bit older (about 11 or 12) and watched them and while coming to terms with the disparity between what I'd imagined and what I was seeing I couldn't decide if I was a filthy warped child in desperate need of therapy or if Jim Davidson and Mike Reid were just liar shit cunts.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Harry Badger on May 19, 2013, 12:10:35 AM
One of the things the BBFC has traditionally been nervous about is depictions of mental hospitals/asylums etc. There's also a suicide in there (I can't remember how graphic it was).

Really?  I wouldn't have considered that.

The suicide point is a good one, also falling under "imitable actions".  'The Rules Of Attraction' is still cut in the UK, despite being rated 18, just because of the suicide scene.  It's a bit daft, if you ask me, but I'm not the BBFC.

Don_Preston

They could have waited until the film had finished!

mcbpete

Just went to the BBFC site as I thought you were talking shite, but bloody hell it is as well ! I wonder if the justification is that they (I think this happens, haven't seen it for a while)
Spoiler alert
generally abuse and stab to death a mutilated foetus/child
[close]
- it's certainly the only thing I can think of that would raise to to that level.

I was always surprised that The Good The Bad and The Ugly was an 18 but it looks like it got dropped to a 15 back in 2010

Wet Blanket

Quote from: mcbpete on May 19, 2013, 11:51:42 PM
Just went to the BBFC site as I thought you were talking shite, but bloody hell it is as well ! I wonder if the justification is that they (I think this happens, haven't seen it for a while)
Spoiler alert
generally abuse and stab to death a mutilated foetus/child
[close]
- it's certainly the only thing I can think of that would raise to to that level.

I was always surprised that The Good The Bad and The Ugly was an 18 but it looks like it got dropped to a 15 back in 2010

The original examiner's notes for Eraserhead are on the BBFC website. They were on the fence as to whether it should be AA or X, and went for X because the baby was deemed too disturbing for 14-year-old girls.

It says on the website that it's now rated 15, although in my David Lynch box set from last year it still has an 18 on the disc.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/case-studies/taking-look-examiner-reports-two-unique-david-lynch-films

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 18, 2013, 03:01:45 AM
No no no.  McMurphy's in there for statutory rape, isn't he?  It's not shown or talked about much, but it's something.

Oh, yeah. I'd forgotten about that. It was just the briefest of mentions though, I really can't see how that'd have any effect of the rating at all (discounting U obviously).

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 18, 2013, 03:01:45 AM
I don't know what America's (perceived) fear of the word "cunt" has to do with its UK rating.

Hmm... neither do I. The DVD was sat on the shelf right next to me as I was typing that too, with the bright red BBFC 18 logo being the most eye-catching thing on the spine.

El Unicornio, mang

As far as ratings go, I think 'cunt' is considered as bad in the UK. Glengarry Glen Ross uses the word and is only a 15 though, so the One Flew rating is definitely because of the time.

American Beauty is a pretty mild 18

Raging Bull wouldn't be an 18 these days, I don't think.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on May 20, 2013, 10:57:46 AM
As far as ratings go, I think 'cunt' is considered as bad in the UK. Glengarry Glen Ross uses the word and is only a 15 though, so the One Flew rating is definitely because of the time.

It's context-dependent, as I said earlier on.  Generally, you can get away with one or two in a 15 if they're descriptive or integral (like that one in 'Atonement', for example), sometimes if they're played for laughs, but any more than that and you'll get the 18.  For instance, the only few episodes of 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' which got an 18 rating were ones where that dreaded C-word featured prominently (look on the BBFC website).

The BBFC don't like it if it's used aggressively - so if Joey in 'Friends', for instance, had suddenly flipped out and called Rachel a stupid, dirty cunt before immediately apologising and resuming the conversation as if nothing had happened, that would probably be grounds for an 18 as far as they're concerned.  They've relaxed a little bit compared to the past (it's turned up in 'Bridesmaids' and 'Kick-Ass', for example), but it's still a word they have quite specific rules about.

Anyway, 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' was still given an 18 as of 1998, so there's obviously something in there that they have an issue with.

QuoteAmerican Beauty is a pretty mild 18

Probably the underage sex thing.  You even get underage bewbs in this one.

QuoteRaging Bull wouldn't be an 18 these days, I don't think.

It still is as of 2005, though.  Again, a few aggressive "cunts" will still get you an 18 (and there's a bit where he's shouting "YOUR MOTHER'S CUNT!!!" for a little while).  It's also pretty violent, I suppose (man on woman violence in particular is in the guidelines).

Wet Blanket

Yeah Raging Bull is pretty full on, I'd expect that to remain 18 for the foreseeable.

Fargo always seemed pretty mild to me. Is it the leg sticking out the woodchipper? Likewise I thought No Country for Old Men should have got the top category. The blood spurting out of a neck in the first five minutes - Yikes.  I'd take 20 cunt-bombs over that in a 15 film.