Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:39:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PC Gaming - Patronise a Newbie

Started by Johnny Townmouse, May 19, 2013, 04:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Townmouse

It was one of those games where 3-hours of hard work could be lost in a random moment where you would get 'mugged' out of nowhere for no reason. It is basically a stocks and shares game sexed up with drugs. I still don't know what 'ludes' are.

Zetetic

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on May 20, 2013, 05:24:01 PM

Battlefield sounds like it might be up my street, so I think I will look into the older games in the series which will be cheaper and will probably run on my PC. I really lover Mario Kart so thanks Zetetic for the reference to those two racing games - I will be looking to get them first.

Despite looking like it could serve 2 or 5, Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed is the name of a single game.

QuoteFor reference, I am not interested in world-building games, role-playing, clue solving (apart from Grim Fandango), and so I imagine my tastes are rather unrefined and basic.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 20, 2013, 05:27:32 PM
Those games where you don't just point a gun and fire at people but do other things.

Have a look at Mirror's Edge and Dishonored. They're not what S?S! meant - one's about running past people, and one's about pointing yourself at people and cutting them - but still.

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on May 20, 2013, 05:24:01 PM
In terms of going retro, I am about to embark on the first S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game as part of my research into Tarkovsky!
Hmm. I'd count STALKER[nb]P.S. Don't bother with  the second one - Clear Sky.[/nb] and certainly the Fallout games as 'role-playing'. That's not to put you off them, but perhaps you're more tolerant than you think.

(They'll also be good games to get you into mods...)

Still Not George

Minecraft.

You may think you don't want to play Minecraft.

You are wrong.

Everybody has some kind of strange creepy iron hook deep in their souls which is just waiting for Minecraft.

EVERYBODY.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Zetetic on May 20, 2013, 06:18:22 PM
Despite looking like it could serve 2 or 5, Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed is the name of a single game.

Ohhhhhh. I feel like a very old person when discussing games, I really do.

QuoteHave a look at Mirror's Edge and Dishonored. They're not what S?S! meant - one's about running past people, and one's about pointing yourself at people and cutting them - but still.

Thanks! My research into these games is involving me looking up gameplay on youtube. Not a very scientific method but the best I can come up with at short notice.

QuoteHmm. I'd count STALKER and certainly the Fallout games as 'role-playing'. That's not to put you off them, but perhaps you're more tolerant than you think. (They'll also be good games to get you into mods...)

I see, well yes I guess I am misunderstanding what 'role-playing' means and associate it with dungeons and dragons, and/or games in which you have to solve loads of clues.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Here we go. Proper fucking games discussion this.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 20, 2013, 07:48:15 PM

Are you punching down on me? I can't keep up.

madhair60

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 20, 2013, 07:48:15 PM

Would you please do my taxes for me? Pretend it's SimDoingMyFuckingTaxes and you'll love it.

Quote from: madhair60 on May 19, 2013, 05:09:42 PM
I beat it the other day and it's kind of resonated with me in a way that I'm going to every cunt who'll listen "PLAY THIS GAME"

*shudder*

No, you didn't: you completed it. Negged.

Hangthebuggers

Spreadsheets eh?

http://www.eveonline.com/

One of the finest games I've ever played.

STALKER's genius but it's connections to the Tarkovsky film are relatively loose. I mean, it's Russian, you're in the zone and you throw screws sometimes whilst walking through fields, but that's about the extent of the similarities. It may be a bit too fiddly to download the Complete Mod to fix up all the glitches in the game if you're just coming back into this, but if the game crashes on you enough and you're genuinely enjoying it, it might be a good idea to look into it. They're pretty simple and user friendly to install.

You ARE diving right in though with STALKER. It's a bit on the fiddly side of the spectrum, and doesn't explain how to play at all really, so according to memory, it's not immediately huge amounts of fun, but stick with it and it's definitely rewarding, albeit oppressive. 

I'd definitely agree with the suggestions of Company of Heroes if you're into war-games and the actual strategy behind it. It's pretty realistic in terms of historical context, I mean, as far as games go without going into the ultra spreadsheety kinda game. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare has a really effective single-player, with some genuinely clever moments, before it all became a bit too bombastic.

Despite not being particularly war-like, Half-Life 2's still an INCREDIBLY solid shooter with a great atmosphere. Hell, I'd even shout you a copy over Steam if you wanted.
And if you liked that kind of thing, I'd give Bioshock a whirl after that. They're both not as grounded in reality as something you might be after but give a trailer a watch and see if they interest you.

madhair60

Still Not George

Quote from: Hangthebuggers on May 21, 2013, 01:30:29 AM
Spreadsheets eh?

http://www.eveonline.com/

One of the finest games I've ever played.

See, while EVE is one of the best games in existence purely for having a real working economy, it's also the worst offender in the "doing a job in your leisure time" stakes. I mean, once you get into EVE you find yourself literally doing a job for a corporation made of other real people also doing jobs for the corporation.

My shark-jump moment was when I fired up Dwarf Fortress to while away the time while I was mining (there were no alliance ops that day). I sat watching my dorfs mine and realised that I was mining while I mined. Xzibit immediately screamed in my ear that I needed to stop playing at least one of those games, and astonishingly, DF required less time.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Bored of Canada on May 21, 2013, 08:38:10 AM
STALKER's genius but it's connections to the Tarkovsky film are relatively loose. I mean, it's Russian, you're in the zone and you throw screws sometimes whilst walking through fields, but that's about the extent of the similarities. It may be a bit too fiddly to download the Complete Mod to fix up all the glitches in the game if you're just coming back into this, but if the game crashes on you enough and you're genuinely enjoying it, it might be a good idea to look into it. They're pretty simple and user friendly to install.

The connections are tenuous at best, but I am currently researching and writing about Tarkovsky remediation. This is an example where the original film is associated with Pripyat despite the it being made (and the Strugatsky novel written) prior to the Chernobyl disaster. I like how the game combines these two elements, and the way in which it does not purport to be an adaptation as such. Interestingly, fans of the game have made patches to make the main character in the game look like the Stalker in the film, which is just bizarre, but very interesting.

QuoteYou ARE diving right in though with STALKER. It's a bit on the fiddly side of the spectrum, and doesn't explain how to play at all really, so according to memory, it's not immediately huge amounts of fun, but stick with it and it's definitely rewarding, albeit oppressive. 

I'll give it a go, but appreciate it is not one of those immediately rewarding games with lots of things to blow up to get you quickly through levels.

QuoteI'd definitely agree with the suggestions of Company of Heroes if you're into war-games and the actual strategy behind it. It's pretty realistic in terms of historical context, I mean, as far as games go without going into the ultra spreadsheety kinda game. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare has a really effective single-player, with some genuinely clever moments, before it all became a bit too bombastic. Despite not being particularly war-like, Half-Life 2's still an INCREDIBLY solid shooter with a great atmosphere. Hell, I'd even shout you a copy over Steam if you wanted. And if you liked that kind of thing, I'd give Bioshock a whirl after that. They're both not as grounded in reality as something you might be after but give a trailer a watch and see if they interest you.

These are great - thanks so much! I downloaded Steam last night and I set about playing one of the free games as a starter, but after an hour it was still on 7%. I think I need to get my head around how it works. The pay-for games are expensive (naturally). I don't know how to share on Steam as I need to give it more of my time, but Half-Life 2 is a game that my students are constantly telling me to play so I would be interested, thanks.

mikeyg27

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on May 21, 2013, 01:17:57 PM
The pay-for games are expensive (naturally).

Wait for a massive Steam Sale. Buying cheap games quickly becomes a compulsive habit.

madhair60

If you like Grim Fandango, you might enjoy Psychonauts from the same creator.  It's a platform game, but with some great writing and memorable envirionments, as well as a darker edge (without being daaaaark).  If you fancy a go I've got a code you can register on Steam, along with a couple of the developer's other games (Stacking and Costume Quest).

Zetetic

NOOOO If anyone's getting rid of a free copy of Half-Life 2, it's me. I'll even throw in the sequel (sort of).

Johnny Townmouse

I just wanted to give a hearty thanks and non-gay man-hug for your advice about gaming. I am all up in Steam's shit and Bored of Canada has sent me a copy of Half-Life 2 which I am merrily ploughing through.

I am naturally not that great at games, and there is a lot of knowledge I do not have that holds me back. Simple things really - I took a look at someone playing the game on youtube and they are doing things like picking up barrels to shield themselves from bullets, and throwing oil drums and shooting them to kill beasties. So I have a steep learning curve, but I love the genuinely creepy dystopian tone.

I also find the button choices for movement quite bizarre. The awkwardness of pressing shift and w to run fast is most perplexing.

THANKS GUYS.

THIGHS.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: madhair60 on May 21, 2013, 01:02:01 AM
Would you please do my taxes for me? Pretend it's SimDoingMyFuckingTaxes and you'll love it.

I was being seriousURNS.

madhair60

I can't decide whether to play Alan Wake or Deus Ex: Human Revolution. #firstworldproblems

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I can't decide whether to play Alan Wake or go to Alan's Wake.

I'm here, all weak.

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on May 23, 2013, 05:34:11 PM
I also find the button choices for movement quite bizarre. The awkwardness of pressing shift and w to run fast is most perplexing.

It won't be long until you find you naturally always have your fingers on WASD when at a computer.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnojOGjz578

Surely a large pancreas sized portion of you yearns to meddle in the economy of the country.

SEVERE RIOTING OCCURRED IN PARTS OF MANY CITIES LAST YEAR

FUCKING HELL LADS

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 23, 2013, 05:56:44 PM
I can't decide whether to play Alan Wake or go to Alan's Wake.

I vote Alan Wake, quite dark, a bit silly, Twin Peaksy, Stephen Kingy, only needs one playthrough, some headfucks.

mikeyg27

Quote from: madhair60 on May 23, 2013, 05:52:03 PM
I can't decide whether to play Alan Wake or Deus Ex: Human Revolution. #firstworldproblems

Actually, is Alan Wake any good? I notice that it's going for £4.49 on Xbox GoD right now[nb]Yes, I know it's on Humble Bundle too right now, but I have no PC capable of such things unfortunately.[/nb]. That seems worth a punt. Is it?

EDIT: Big Jack's reply came in as I was typing this. Now I think buying it is inevitable.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Steve Lampkins on May 23, 2013, 05:58:54 PM
It won't be long until you find you naturally always have your fingers on WASD when at a computer.

I already have that shit down pat. But the idea that I press shift & W to run fast - something that you need to do rather a lot in Half-Life 2 - is confusing. Is it a little finger thing? I had the same thing when learning the mandolin and also anally masturbating.

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: mikeyg27 on May 23, 2013, 06:06:30 PM
Actually, is Alan Wake any good?

Its certainly got an atmosphere, told in chapters which usually close with some calamity where you go 'Ooooh shiiiit'. I played it over the space of three days (fairly lengthy sessions though), it's like a TV mini-series, *something* happens and you're left scavenging for ammo and light to escape the encroaching darkness which suddenly descends on your taking-a-break-from-it-all cabin in the hills, helping (or doing other things) to the local townspeople affected by (or infested with) it.

El Unicornio, mang

This page has PC games (going back to the mid-90s) all sorted by gamespot rating. Not a bad guide for finding good stuff.

http://uk.gamespot.com/games.html?platform=5&type=top_rated&mode=all&sort=score&dlx_type=all&date_filter=all&sortdir=asc&official=all

Johnny Townmouse