Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:14:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Movies about artists

Started by Urinal Cake, May 25, 2013, 07:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urinal Cake

This often is a maligned genre because of the subject matter. Nobody seems to get it 'right'. Except this one 'Mishima[nb]Current terrorist acts using bladed weapons cast my mind to the great author and facist\traditionalist Yukio Mishima[/nb]: A Life in Four Chapters'[nb]available in full on youtube[/nb]

Famous Mortimer

Does "The Draughtman's Contract" count? Cos it's fuckin' brilliant.

Also, "Lust For Life" seems to be pretty well regarded, but I can't say owt because I've not seen it.

Canted_Angle

Max is quite fun, John Cusack plays Hitlers Jewish art teacher.

Garam

I watched Mishima when I came back pissed one night, very hypnotic. Got the soundtrack on vinyl, it's fucking amazing.

I think Basquiat's pretty good, though the cameos don't really add anything, 's just people wanting to be a part of the film cause they're mates with the director/respected Basquiat...

Andrei Rublev is fucking amazing, need to watch it again though, i just let that one wash over me. Always takes at least 3 viewings for a Tarkovsky to form for me.

Pollock is pretty good, not great. Ed Harris's reproductions of his paintings are good though.

Naked Lunch is one of the greatest book adaptation/biopics ever made, I think. It'll probably go over your head if you're not familiar with the book and the backstory but it's still an interesting watch. Love the free jazz soundtrack. Love how it totally dismisses the rest of the beats, it doesn't go for the quick gimmicky references that other directors might go for. Maybe my favourite Cronenberg film.

Ghost World can be seen as a 'birth of the artist' type film, mos def. Amazing film.

Is the Robert Altman film about Vincent and Theo van Gogh worth watching? I still haven't seen a bad Altman film but i've avoided all the ones that have a concensus red flag against 'em...

Icehaven

Fur; and Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus is dreadful. Nicole Kidman is herself, as always, so dire, and the whole film is just a mess. Robert Downey Jnr. was still getting his career back together then, so he's obviously excused, but everyone else involved should be slapped. 

Serge

'Lust For Life' is fantastic, though I don't think Kirk Douglas captured Iggy Pop that well possibly my favourite Kirk Douglas film. I love the conceit they have throughout the film of showing you real-life versions of the things that Van Gogh is painting before cutting to the actual paintings. Anthony Quinn is great as Gauguin and cult favourite Niall 'Doctor Karswell' MacGinnis pops up at one point, but it's Douglas' film.

I can't think of any others that I've seen. Does 'Exit Through The Gift Shop' count?

zomgmouse

"Life Lessons", Martin Scorsese's part of New York Stories, is one that comes to mind right now. Nick Nolte and Patricia Arquette (and Steve Buscemi's in it, too) are very good, and there's a smashing Procol Harum soundtrack.

Don_Preston

I remember watching Frida, the Salma Hayek biopic of Frida Kahlo.

Quote from: Don_Preston on May 26, 2013, 11:03:21 AM
I remember watching Frida, the Salma Hayek biopic of Frida Kahlo.

Excerpt from the latest volume in the 'Films I Recall Having Watched' collection.

Quote from: icehaven on May 25, 2013, 08:36:31 PM
Fur; and Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus is dreadful. Nicole Kidman is herself, as always, so dire, and the whole film is just a mess. Robert Downey Jnr. was still getting his career back together then, so he's obviously excused, but everyone else involved should be slapped.

One of the worst films I've ever seen.