Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:38:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Repetition Repetition Repetition Repetition

Started by alan nagsworth, May 27, 2013, 12:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

I've had this idea for a project for ages now and I think it's about time I actually started work on it.

Basically I'm looking for sections of music that preferably denote repetition in the lyrics and are easy to loop. The phrases usually loop for repetitive effect in the song but I'm looking to loop them to an almost irritating degree and put them all together into one piece of music.

I don't know whether or not I will stitch them together quite roughly and disregard tempo entirely or whether I'll attempt to beat-match them nicely. The latter seems like a good idea on paper as one tempo throughout will increase the insistence of the music and help it to bore into your mind. Either way, all suggestions are welcome and I'll make my decision as they come in and I can assess what I'm working with.

Two that instantly spring to mind:

The first line of the chorus of Hot Chip's 'Over and Over' is an easy one.

The bit in Kylie's 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head' where she sings 'Forever and ever and ever and ever...'

That's easy enough isn't it? I'm sure you all know lots of songs with bits like this. Cheers in advance!

Petey Pate

First thing that entered my mind is "On and on and on and on, the beat don't stop to the break of dawn" (or lyrics to this effect) from Rapper's Delight.  I'm sure I'd be able to think of more.

EDIT: Also on the old school hiphop tip: "Rocking don't stopping, rocking don't stop" from Planet Rock

Shoulders?-Stomach!

"On and on and on. And on. On and on and on."

Youth Group - In My Dreams

Harry Badger

Some non-verbal ones might be the na-na-na-na bits from Hey Jude or Give It Up.

At some point, I am going to have to embark on my own musical project of inserting the phrase "y'cunt" into pauses in songs.

small_world

At the - the gay bar gay bar gay bar.

* this was honestly the first thing that came in to my head.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotesections of music that preferably denote repetition in the lyrics and are easy to loop

Unless the words gay and bar have new meanings.

Harry Badger

Whoops, didn't read the OP properly.

How about 'again again again' from Down Down?

alan nagsworth

Yeah I'd really prefer bits that go on about things repeating first and foremost, please!

Squink

An obvious one, perhaps: the last few lines of "Repetition" by TV on the Radio. "My repetition, my repetition is this, my repetition, my repetition is this, etc."

Noodle Lizard

'The Seer' by Swans has the bit which goes "I see it all, I see it all, I see it all" x1000.  Could be useful.

vrailaine

Quote from: Together
I've got so much love to give, I've got so much love to give, I've got so much love to give, I've got so much love to give, I've got so much love to give, I've got so much love to give, I've got so much love to give, I've got so much love to give, I've got so much love to give...

I know I know I know I know I know I know I know I know I know I know I know I know...

from 'ain't no sunshine when she's gone'

All Surrogate

Lee Dorsey - Working In A Coal Mine
QuoteLord, I am so tired!  How long can this go on?

And the Devo cover, which might be better for a sample:
Devo - Working In A Coal Mine

Another Devo:
Devo - What We Do
QuoteWhat we do is what we do
It's all the same, there's nothing new
What we do is what we do
It's turning 'round on me and you

What we do is what we do
Just different names, it's nothing new
What we do is what we do
'Cause all we do is what we do

Paaaaul

Phil_A

The intro to "Ready For The Floor" by Hot Chip - "Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it now / say it, say it, say it, say it, say it, say it, say it now"

Also the "again and again and again and again and again" bit from "A Forest" by The Cure.

buttgammon

"Over and over and over again. Over and over and over again. Over and over and over again. Over and over and over again" repeated ad nauseum on 'Olio' by The Rapture.

vrailaine

Sleep by This Heat ("sleep sleep sleep, go to sleep")
Collapsing on your doorstep by air France("'sorta like a dream?' 'no, better'", it's a sample, mind)
Secret meeting by the National (possibly "don't draw the ace and fold it", not sure)

Thomas

The song The Earth Goes Around by Pizzicato Five is just

Quotechikyu wa mawaru yo
la la la la la la la la

repeated, and it translates to 'the Earth goes around, la la la la la la la la.'

Brundle-Fly

The end of If I Was With A Woman by Ian Dury And The Blockheads. Actually, made my father furiously storm into my bedroom and rip the stylus off the LP.

At 2:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrodsrcrfxk

And the end of I Am The Beat by The Look. On 7", the run out groove repeats the title ad nauseum until you lift the needle. Forever catching out lazy, sex pest Radio 1 DJs at the time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWe9SPwR1JM

The Average White Band - Let's Go Round Again -  "let's go round again/one more time....one more ti-i-i-i-me! etc. etc."

Soul II Soul - Keep On Movin' - the "keep on movin, don't stop, no" vocal hook - but I think it's mainly a backing vocal, so would need to be separated out from the rest of the track.

glitch

falafel

falafel

Neverending Story

Don't stop till you get enough

Do It Again by Primal Scream

Bobby Ralgex

Towers Of London by XTC - The Lon-Lon-Lon-dinium bit at the end

Victoria Gardens by Madness (Album version) - Said They Had Every Right To Be There....

glitch

footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab footcrab

Bobby Treetops

Disco Inferno by Starbound : All Burnt Out & Nowhere To Go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eP8vjeb8lI

I adore the repetitive female tribal sample that goes on throughout this record.

If anyone can tell me where they sampled this from then I'd be eternally grateful.