Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,207
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:57:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The "Ricky Gervais is a cunt on Twitter" thread [split topic]

Started by Slaaaaabs, May 27, 2013, 09:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaaaaabs

Subtle Mocking

I feel like starting to believe in God just to spite him.

phes

Yes

Well said

It's like he's actually a bit ill or something. He just keeps repeating the same things over and over again. I'd be the first to admit I have a slightly odd obsession with Ricky and his career and even I can't take it.

Urinal Cake

I think it's because in the US it's seen as clever and provocative[nb]Maher makes a career out of it still[/nb] while most other  anglophone countries religous jokes have been done to death

Thomas

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: Thomas on May 27, 2013, 10:08:21 PM
Nobody involved was really annoyed that the Derek thread had moved away from the discussion of the show, were they?

I think it's more the fact that the thread was fucking gargantuan at this point, and I know there's been a thing about that on here recently.

Slaaaaabs

Ah shit, now my name is on the thread. I'll surely be blacklisted by radical atheists across the planet!

up_the_hampipe

I hate atheists that brag about being atheists like they've won life.

Thomas

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 27, 2013, 10:19:40 PM

That's one of my problems with Richard Dawkins. He's very fluent when discussing evolutionary science, and, as his conversation with Wendy Thingy, a creationist gal in that America, shows, is incredibly patient and coherent when doing so. He also has a great voice, I think. A woodpecker's voice.

But his atheism material is very much '14-year-old me,' an incarnation I'm sure many can relate to. I don't know what intellectual stuff was to supposed be gained from that discussion he had with Ricky Gervais for some documentary. 'Aren't religious people stupid?'

graffic

Quote from: Slaaaaabs on May 27, 2013, 09:50:19 PM

Hateful on a variety of levels there. Complexity.

What you have to remember about Gervais is that he's just a common as the day chav from Reading.

Urinal Cake

Odd thing iirc even Maher recognised people with no hope[nb]prison qualifies[/nb] really have little choice than to believe a higher being will eventually save them in that movie he made.

BritishHobo

It's just inane. He's not insightful, he's not interesting, he's not funny. It's just the same old tired jabs at 'people who think there's a man with a big white beard'. He has nothing of any worth to say on extremism and terrorism, just 'LOL ATHEISTS WOULD NEVER HURT PEOPLE', he has nothing of any worth to say about the mindset behind religion, just 'LOL ATHEISTS WOULDN'T BE SO STUPID AS TO BELIEVE IN A SKY MAN', and he has nothing of any worth whatsoever to say about religion in politics. Literally the only points of 'discussion' he does have are 'the story of Adam and Eve is a little silly' and 'the story of Noah is a little silly'. It's just two years of inane bile that even a child would be embarrassed to be caught tweeting.

It's a great medium for him, because it means he never ever has to engage anybody in a genuine debate. He can just deflect with a lame attempt at a crack, and his followers instantly regard him as a genius.

#BEMORELIKEDEREK

MuteBanana

I'm sure that word is just a get out to make fun of certain people. He's an atheist in the same way he pretends to be in awe of Pilkington and Davis.

Such contempt for people.  Hate the game not the player. Or something.

Oh yeah, does anyone run that Dale Gribble account? They make some amusing comments. I liked this one.

graffic

Ricky Gervais seems almost like he has aspergers like Gary Numan. Gary Numan suffered from aspergers and  wrote a load of songs attacking religion. The dead certain way he attacks religion similar to Gary Numan makes him look like has aspergers. Otherwise perhaps Gervais is a creep. He brings up conflicting emotions. On the one hand he seems ok and friendly, and then on the other he seems totally ingenuine and takes things too far.

"Enjoy your life.
It's all you have.
Peace."

A genuine tweet from Gervais. This is like something a chav would post as an update on facebook.

Unoriginal

If the most interesting aspect of your identity is that you're an atheist, you must be a boring bastard

Hat FM

Gervais is one of those people who go on about unfollowing someone if you don't like their tweets. Does he not realise that these people follow him in the hope that he will say something funny one day and not just this boring aetheist guff that he constantly serves up? Richard Herring says the same thing.  it'd be alright if there was a 'follow but ignore medicore or annoying tweets' button but unfortunately there isn't.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Hat FM on May 28, 2013, 10:19:33 AM
Richard Herring says the same thing.  it'd be alright if there was a 'follow but ignore medicore or annoying tweets' button but unfortunately there isn't.

He should just unfollow Emma Kennedy then.

George Oscar Bluth II

Militant atheism pushed me into the arms of radical islam.

Fuck you, Gervais.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 27, 2013, 10:19:40 PM

#secularfirstworldproblems

I

checkoutgirl

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 27, 2013, 11:29:56 PM
Literally the only points of 'discussion' he does have are 'the story of Adam and Eve is a little silly' and 'the story of Noah is a little silly'.

I think we all have our bugbears and Ricky's is The Bible and that, mine's Justin Beiber and stuff like that. The difference is that I get no enjoyment out of going on the internet and calling Beliebers idiots. It holds no appeal to me, I'm pretty much beyond calling fans of shit music idiots. I don't want to write 20 tweets a day about it. And it's odd that a 50 year old man wants to call atheists brilliant all the time and call theist stupid heads. It could be something to do with the fact that

1. He's insane and ego maniacal and

2. He probably never went on the internet until he was 45 years old and rich and famous

It must be weird to go on Twitter and immediately get 2 million followers. Even if the followers hardly ever bother with their timelines, it must still be weird. I bet Ricky is fascinated by the internet, although he would never admit it.

Johnny Townmouse

Imagine. People being obsessed with one specific subject. It beggars belief.

Famous Mortimer

We really ought to start a Twitter account just for Ricky's deleted tweets. This may have already been suggested on here, but I just made @RGsDeletedTweet, which I'll no doubt get bored of almost instantly. Is there an easy-ish way of finding the stuff he deletes?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 28, 2013, 11:58:55 AM
This is all new information!

You didn't have to post that but you did anyway. You were that intent on letting the us know that this is all old news. Do you watch the news and proclaim "Yeah yeah, I get it, crime and natural disasters, change the record grandad" ?

I hope you do.

It's just so easy to say "This is all new information", it's lazy. You lazy cuntbag. Be less lazy you lazy lazy bones. Do some fucking work for a change. You swan on here, write 5 words that add nothing. Next time, why don't you not do that ?

Thanks.

Thomas

It's a bloody annoyance when 'atheism' is taken to mean 'active hater of religion.' Especially when it's done by an atheist.

Subtle Mocking

He's not an atheist, he's a very naughty boy an antitheist.

kngen

Quote from: Thomas on May 28, 2013, 02:02:32 PM
It's a bloody annoyance when 'atheism' is taken to mean 'active hater of religion.' Especially when it's done by an atheist.

Quite - and when you start to define yourself by what you are not rather than what you are, you end up in all kind of moral and ethical cul-de-sacs.

bradaaron87

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on May 28, 2013, 02:06:05 PM
He's not an atheist, he's a very naughty boy an antitheist.

"I wish there was a God. It'd be great" - He said that to James Lipton in his Actors Studio interview. Not the statement of an anti-theist, though he may've altered his position since then.