Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:51:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The "Ricky Gervais is a cunt on Twitter" thread [split topic]

Started by Slaaaaabs, May 27, 2013, 09:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 28, 2013, 01:54:17 PM
You didn't have to post that but you did anyway. You were that intent on letting the us know that this is all old news. Do you watch the news and proclaim "Yeah yeah, I get it, crime and natural disasters, change the record grandad" ?

I hope you do.

It's just so easy to say "This is all new information", it's lazy. You lazy cuntbag. Be less lazy you lazy lazy bones. Do some fucking work for a change. You swan on here, write 5 words that add nothing. Next time, why don't you not do that ?

Thanks.
You're spot on there I reckon - there was no point in me posting that because it changed nothing. Extrapolate that to the whole thread. It's the most pointless, circular thing. Gervais repeats some vacuous anti-religious comment, someone repeats the same anti-Gervais thread, a few other people repeat the same anti-Gervias posts and then I repeat the same anti-all-this-repetition-I'm-so-above-it-all post. So yeah there is some hypocrisy on my part for sure. But I don't see why you people bother with it at all...nothing has changed from the last time you had this discussion. It's just a bunch of people holding hands and agreeing that you still don't like Gervais, with no new reasons or arguments from the last time you all agreed that you don't like Gervais.

To try to move the discussion to somewhere new(er)- I don't know why Gervais considers his standpoint to be such a great one to have anyway. I broadly agree with him that there is no God, but I'd far rather have a genuine belief in some higher being, even if it turned out to be untrue. What's so great about being absolutely certain that our entire existence is aimless and pointless?

acrow

i don't think that not believing in god = being absolutely certain that our entire existence is aimless and pointless.

but i do agree with you about the dull repetitive nature of these gervais threads.

Johnny Townmouse

Imagine. People being obsessed with one specific subject. It beggars belief.

Famous Mortimer

It'd be nice if there were other comedy programs on we could watch and have a chat about.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 28, 2013, 02:18:38 PM
You're spot on there I reckon - there was no point in me posting that because it changed nothing. Extrapolate that to the whole thread. It's the most pointless, circular thing. Gervais repeats some vacuous anti-religious comment, someone repeats the same anti-Gervais thread, a few other people repeat the same anti-Gervias posts and then I repeat the same anti-all-this-repetition-I'm-so-above-it-all post.

There is a slightly desperate futility to this thread, even as I was writing that post, the feeling that I had written it before was in the back of my mind and the feeling that it needed to be said had the steering wheel at the front. It's a weird one. All I can say is that Gervais's lunacy has a perpetual fascination for some and we will take ages to tire finding ways to express our interest in his neuroses.

If this bores you, I will try harder next time to find an original tack but it's getting difficult my man. It's getting difficult.

mcbpete

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 28, 2013, 01:10:28 PM
We really ought to start a Twitter account just for Ricky's deleted tweets. This may have already been suggested on here, but I just made @RGsDeletedTweet, which I'll no doubt get bored of almost instantly. Is there an easy-ish way of finding the stuff he deletes?
Good work, there's @deletedgervais but no-one's posting on there. Hopefully you can make this one a bit more active ! (does anyone know if there's a restriction for a twitter account to be used by multiple users, maybe you can PM people here the password so they can add them as they find them)

Famous Mortimer

Cool, anyone who notices his deletions and wants to join in, let me know and I'll send you the password.

phes

Most of his best efforts are probably screen-cap'd in the 'Ricky Gervais is begging...' locked thread. If you're going to include those (and you should, for historical context), perhaps twitter isn't the best way.

DrunkCountry

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 28, 2013, 01:10:28 PM
We really ought to start a Twitter account just for Ricky's deleted tweets. This may have already been suggested on here, but I just made @RGsDeletedTweet, which I'll no doubt get bored of almost instantly. Is there an easy-ish way of finding the stuff he deletes?

How do you plan on displaying them? As links to screen shots? Quotes?

MuteBanana

How come Ricky has escaped the 'Twitter meltdown' style publicity? It seems if a big celebrity has a bit of a strop about something it's referred to as a rant or meltdown. Does this mean his angry atheism is being viewed as just comedy, or are his tweets seen as brilliant statements on religion?

Lost Oliver

Didn't we all agree last time that Gervais is having a break-down and thinks he really is Christ?

Utter Shit

Quote from: Lost Oliver on May 30, 2013, 02:57:39 AM
Didn't we all agree last time that Gervais is having a break-down and thinks he really is Christ?
Give it a week and we'll all reconvene to confirm that we still all agree.

RickyGerbail

I wonder if Ricky is going to cry in the last episode of learning guitar with David Brent.

mcbpete

Quote from: DrunkCountry on May 29, 2013, 11:48:19 PM
How do you plan on displaying them? As links to screen shots? Quotes?
I'm guessing just copy and paste the text (obviously rather than re-tweeting as they'll get deleted)

MuteBanana

Watching the Ricky Gervais Show.

Two hypothetical sketches. In both of them Ricky has resorted to calling Karl a "bald headed" something.

Hidden disdain for his own fucking friends.

MC Root

ha...

QuoteEveryone is famous on Twitter. Everyone has their platform. There are downsides to this and sometimes the internet seems like everyone is just emptying a drawer out of the window, but that's freedom of speech. You can't censor things based on quality. Nor should you. To each his own. I've been critical of this sort of non-regulation in the past and I think I described forums and chat rooms as graffiti. Well, maybe Twitter is just another big toilet wall, but there's as much clean space and spray paint as you'll ever need. What are you going to do with it? Create something or destroy someone else's picture?

Followed by:

Maybe TV should be censored against this kind of self-mythologizing shit about how wonderful one is. You've got to draw the line somewhere. Like painting over graffiti.

Utter Shit

phes

QuoteAn artist moaning about critics is like a fisherman moaning about waves. Tough. They're there. They're there because artists are there

Waves exist because of fishermen. Oh Ricky you thick cunt.

MC Root

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 11, 2013, 04:38:45 PM
Not far off.

If only the bastard left us some room to disagree!

It is sad posting to these threads as we all know he's an unspeakable prick and there's nothing that can be done about it. As you were.

You guys had all convinced me he was unpleasant but now I know. He's a creative artist.

Often the most interesting art provokes a range of responses. Like the work of Jackson Pollock. Or Derek.

I love it when professional comedians say "by the way, that was a joke"

Alright, I don't love it.

BritishHobo

I just love the idea of Ricky as a kid sat on a playground muttering 'God doesn't exist. You're all fucking thick. Critics are just jealous.' and when someone calls him a patronizing dick, he stands up and bellows 'THIS IS CREATIVITY, MATE'.

phes

Haha, I loved his: 

Quote'I'll donate £5000 to a desperate and very worthy charity if nobody re-tweets this'.

followed by

QuoteNot bad. Only 79 RTs in the first minute. So close. We'll try again tomorrow. Sigh.

#twat

MuteBanana

Is it possible to have Twitter bot accounts automatically retweet stuff? Sounds like something that could be done. Oh Ricky, you might have fucked up there.

That screengrab is in his group of tweets regarding Big Brother. He lets you know he finds the people in it deplorable. "Wipe out this shitty species." Get a grip you prick. It's a sodding game show for fame hungry twats. I'm sure it's a joke though, somehow, it's a joke that he thinks those people should be killed and that if he had the power to he would kill more people. It's a joke because he doesn't think they should die. Yeah, he's just mocking those people who hate anyone that goes on Big Brother. That's the joke. He's being sarcastic.

He'll be back to tweeting fan art for KindnessIsMagic and flexing his muscles for the camera tomorrow.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Mister Fahrenheit on June 11, 2013, 03:39:36 PM
Regarding his Twitter behaviour, Ricky Gervais clears everything up. Not sure why I didn't get it before.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ricky-gervais/ricky-gervais-creativity_b_3420632.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

Maybe you missed it the first time around? Ricky's treatise on creativity - which ironically amounts to citing a load of other peoples quotes so he looks knowledgable - is, of course, another lazy Gervais cut and paste: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-10/05/ricky-gervais-twitter

Edit: reading the comments, it seems he's updated the title...

QuoteFrom David Thorne/ 27b/6's Facebook page: Quick whinge: I am a massive fan of Ricky Gervais so was delighted when, six months ago, he emailed me about my easter post ( http://27bslash6.com/easter.html ) and I sent him a copy of my book. That is why I was slightly surprised to see he stopped following me on Twitter a day before he posted an article titled "The Internet is My Playground" on Huffington Post. Everyone sucks.

Derived from a fairly common phrase anyway, obviously, but still...

CREATIVITY!