Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:27:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The "Ricky Gervais is a cunt on Twitter" thread [split topic]

Started by Slaaaaabs, May 27, 2013, 09:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crabwalk

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 07, 2015, 07:50:29 AM
I am drunk and watching Starship Troopers.  Fuck Ricky Gervais.

Chance would be a fine thing. We don't all get to meet him at afterparties you know.

Edit: Oh great, new page. Sorry all.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 07, 2015, 08:19:40 AM
Chance would be a fine thing. We don't all get to meet him at afterparties you know.

Edit: Oh great, new page. Sorry all.

Still hasn't happened.  I reckon he's a CaBber in disguise who actively avoids any of the stuff I proudly announce my attendance at on here.  My friend in Belsize Park, on the other hand, sees him all the time.

I was just watching that bit where they're blowing all the arachnids to smithereens and thought ... y'know ... this should be Gervais, really.  A fuckload of Dereks just getting wiped the fuck out.  Fuck that show, it was so shit.

Crabwalk

If he does lurk here then statements like that aren't going to help you when it comes to negotiating a fee for Robot Grief Dog WHICH YOU PROMISED YOU'D LAND FOR US.

MuteBanana

Limmy mentioned a track he'd made called Robot Dog. Never bothered to listen to it but was it a reference to Derek?

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 05, 2015, 10:59:07 PM
It is fairly interesting that Pilkington's dropped out of circulation. As Noodle Lizard says - go back a couple of years and you couldn't get Gervais to shut up about the guy.

It's Robin Ince all over again.

The Bumlord

I can't really imagine Gervais having sex, can you?

I mean, I'm trying.

Dusty Gozongas

You're not trying hard enough. Be very happy about this.

Steven

It's his long-time partner I'm imagining has had to suffer that fate, the Derek faces and expressions he does while bearing down on her "I'm gonna cumses!" which probably eventually evolved into the kindness-botherer character like Mike Myers annoying his wife with Austin Powers.

Replies From View

Quote from: MuteBanana on February 07, 2015, 08:59:19 AM
Limmy mentioned a track he'd made called Robot Dog. Never bothered to listen to it but was it a reference to Derek?

Hmm, well what kind of Robot Dog, specifically?

MuteBanana

Something else. He isn't one to sit through something he's not enjoying and he would have mentioned Derek if he'd got 3/4 of the way through the two series.

Came here straight from the bleak Facebook thread thanks to that Scottemyers fella.

Nothing going on as amusing as that on the real thing. Just a typical flurry of self promotion as he has fuck all else to say on his Twitter. Equality Street video, a news story from last year about him making a Brent film, his favourite outtakes(which are of course from Derek), a re-re-re-recycled tweet about his stand up and the Netflix advert. It must be so boring actually following him to see the same things posted again and again.

Spiral King

Quote from: MuteBanana on February 10, 2015, 02:35:54 PM
Something else. He isn't one to sit through something he's not enjoying and he would have mentioned Derek if he'd got 3/4 of the way through the two series.

Came here straight from the bleak Facebook thread thanks to that Scottemyers fella.

Nothing going on as amusing as that on the real thing. Just a typical flurry of self promotion as he has fuck all else to say on his Twitter. Equality Street video, a news story from last year about him making a Brent film, his favourite outtakes(which are of course from Derek), a re-re-re-recycled tweet about his stand up and the Netflix advert. It must be so boring actually following him to see the same things posted again and again.

It's all worth it when he posts those "delightful" film parodies, where he does his OTHER disabled person impression. Top laughs... top laughs.

MuteBanana

http://www.rickygervais.com/thissideofthetruth.php

Reminding people again on his blog that The Office won that award so he could link to a story from August about him making a Brent film and finishing off with a link to his merchandise.

Stunning work. Edit - The merchandise link is fine of course. It's treating his audience like idiots and repeating things over and over that's amusing yet weird.

Pit-Pat

I imagine Ricky Gervais reacting by tweeting in a deliberately vague way about it being undignified to be a performing monkey for one's fans.

Utter Shit

I agree, Karl Pilkington making a short video helping a guy propose...what a cunt Gervais is.

Pit-Pat

If you hate people talking about Ricky Gervais, and you've negged enough people for doing it, why are you venturing into the Ricky Gervais is a cunt on Twitter thread?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 17, 2015, 02:58:31 PM
I agree, Karl Pilkington making a short video helping a guy propose...what a cunt Gervais is.

Oh so Gervais is responsible for Pilkington's actions now? Come on. Get real.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Pit-Pat on February 17, 2015, 04:23:58 PM
If you hate people talking about Ricky Gervais, and you've negged enough people for doing it, why are you venturing into the Ricky Gervais is a cunt on Twitter thread?

Because I find the logical twists and turns people in here are willing to make in order to convince themselves of Gervais' ongoing bastardry absolutely hilarious.

Replies From View

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 17, 2015, 04:45:07 PM
Because I find the logical twists and turns people in here are willing to make in order to convince themselves of Gervais' ongoing bastardry absolutely hilarious.

I find the logical twists and turns you make in order to justify obsessively checking this thread similarly amusing.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Replies From View on February 17, 2015, 04:59:23 PM
I find the logical twists and turns you make in order to justify obsessively checking this thread equally hilarious.

It's a nice rebuttal, "stop talking about yourself" sort of thing, but it doesn't really stand up does it?

I come into this thread because I find a lot of the more out-there 'examples' of Gervais being a cunt weird, inexplicable and funny. I don't complain when people post evidence of him actually being an arsehole, which I freely admit he often is...I find that obsessiveness quite odd too, but at least it's justified if he is being a dick.

There's no logical hoop-jumping needed for me to justify viewing this thread - it's the same kind of "so bad it's good" incredulous viewing that made Derek such a hit on here. Whereas using an unamusing but inoffensive video of Pilkington to slag off Gervais is completely barmy. It doesn't make any sense. That video isn't evidence of Pilkington being a cunt, let alone Gervais - he had nothing to  with it!

BritishHobo

Most of you probably don't know this about me, but I hate Ricky Gervais.

Mobius

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I've had to watch this video about 10 times in the past 24 hours, as precedes basically anything you click on Youtube if you happen to live in Australia.

https://youtu.be/waymSm5lP-k

""Key to the strategy was to approach this through a lens of entertainment and let Ricky interpret the message in his own style. The result is content that will drive social media conversation whilst delivering our core message of Optus and Netflix, which has become part of Ricky Gervais unique comedy.""

Simon Joyce, CEO of Emotive said: "Allowing Ricky to take control of the scripts and deliver it with his globally renowned comedy style was a bold move which could only happen with a progressive brand like Optus. We're all chuffed with the result.

Quote from: Mobius on March 25, 2015, 07:47:22 PM
Sorry for bumping an old thread but I've had to watch this video about 10 times in the past 24 hours, as precedes basically anything you click on Youtube if you happen to live in Australia.

https://youtu.be/waymSm5lP-k

""Key to the strategy was to approach this through a lens of entertainment and let Ricky interpret the message in his own style. The result is content that will drive social media conversation whilst delivering our core message of Optus and Netflix, which has become part of Ricky Gervais unique comedy.""

Simon Joyce, CEO of Emotive said: "Allowing Ricky to take control of the scripts and deliver it with his globally renowned comedy style was a bold move which could only happen with a progressive brand like Optus. We're all chuffed with the result.

Luckily..... 

Mobius

Oh, bugger. Well it's him doing his faux arrogance thing saying he can't be arsed to advertise it and needs loads of money to bother , brilliantly turning the concept of an advert on its head with irony.

MuteBanana

He's proud of that. Tweeted four times in the past two days. Just in case enough of his six million followers don't see it the first time. I know, it's fine, nothing wrong. Though I'd like to know his thought processes to going back and retweeting year and two year old interviews and articles about himself.

'Oh I should remind people of that time I was asked the secret of my success in 2013. Because I'm great like that with my success and knowledge and knowledge of my success.'

Also enough with the cat videos. In a world obsessed with cats his contributions are utterly pointless. Just him creeping up on a sleeping cat and filming its reaction.

Noodle Lizard

Glad to see he's brought this gem back:

It inspired me to YouTube search "Gervais Depression" to find that US chat show rant he did about it.  Instead I found this one, in which he literally says the words "pull yourselves together" about celebrities with depression (1:03)
https://youtu.be/i2PTK1ymams

It's fucking unbelievable.

EDIT: Perhaps he saw my instinctive ragetweet response in which I linked to that YouTube video:

' played, Gervais.

BritishHobo

Would that mark the first time in known history that Gervais has actually developed an opinion he holds?

BritishHobo

Fuck me, how have I never seen that clip before? It's one of the most ignorant, hateful, reactionary things I've ever heard out of the cunt's mouth. He literally said ''Oh, I drink too much.' Well stop then!' as if he'd solved alcoholism. I can't believe anyone has ever given this man's opinion any weight whatsoever. It's not like he was sixteen when he said that, like it was his first encounter with complex issues and he was struggling to understand and form a reaction, so it came out a bit confused and lacking in nuance. He was a fully-fucking-grown adult man.