Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:27:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The "Ricky Gervais is a cunt on Twitter" thread [split topic]

Started by Slaaaaabs, May 27, 2013, 09:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

On "The Big Think", no less.  You'd think he'd have prepared.

But I knew he'd defend that as a "comedy routine".  So it was just ironic, yeah?

MuteBanana

To be honest if you reach your 40s and still find the idea of someone having depression to be hilarious, it's a bit fucking rich to start doling out sarcastic quotes at the people you used to agree with. Figuring all this out at his age is nothing to boast about.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 29, 2015, 06:16:37 PM
But I knew he'd defend that as a "comedy routine".  So it was just ironic, yeah?

aaaaaaaand there it is:

Curiously, he's also deleted his previous, somewhat reasonable explanation of "I used to think that, but I was wrong".  So now he's just solidly going for the "GOD IT WAS A JOKE GUIZ SERIOUSLY!" angle yet again.

It wasn't a fucking joke.  The Big Think isn't a stand-up show, nor a vehicle for saying things you don't really mean.  It's the opposite of that.  You fucking meant it, you admitted as much, and you admitted you were wrong - why backtrack now, you mad cunt?!

Or was the "don't tell people with depression to snap out of it" statement the joke and you don't actually mean it?  I JUST CAN'T TELL RICKY, YOU'RE TOO MUCH IRONY !!!!1

HappyTree

Some people have a massive anxiety issue about ever being wrong. He was probably made to feel unimportant by one or both of his parents because of being a child and thus sometimes wrong about stuff. It got linked to his self worth and receiving love so now it's his greatest fear. Some people will do anything to avoid having to admit they were wrong. I have a boss like that, she's quite insane and a nightmare to work with. I just stay away as much as possible.

Noodle Lizard

He admitted it, though.  He said "Yeah, I used to brush off depression but now I've changed my mind".  That's perfectly reasonable, so much so that I deleted my initial response so as to let that be the end of it.  But it obviously stuck in his mind because he then felt the need to go back, delete that reasonable response and revert back to the "You can joke about anything!" shite for the millionth time, prompting his fans to go on about people being "delicate little flowers" who just want to be offended by everything and thanking him for all his charity work.

I'd take any one of those cunts to a Sadowitz gig and watch them cry.

EDIT:  Sorry for harping on, something about him just really pissed me off today.  Maybe it's the quitting smoking, I don't know.  But he does deserve it.

MuteBanana

I think I have to disagree with his statement that comedian's jokes don't reflect their real feelings. Their real feelings are surely 'this is funny, I can get laughs from this'. Joking about an something you disagree with surely only works if you're lampooning the people who do believe it. The only person Gervais wants you to laugh at is the one with depression.

Is he saying you can make jokes about anything and then off stage deny any association with the things you've just said?

Noodle Lizard

Right.  And he wasn't even fucking on stage, he was on The Big Think.  You know, where people answer questions about their opinions on stuff.  Also, I know he may not have much faith in us plebs down below, but most people are smart enough to gauge the sincerity of something, regardless of whether it's exaggerated for effect or not[nb]Maybe George Carlin doesn't think all Guys Named Todd should be disemboweled with wooden cooking spoons, but it's a minor grievance he quite possibly has.  Likewise when Ricky Gervais says he raped an old woman he hit with his car during his stand-up set, nobody thinks he actually did it.[/nb]

BUT HE ADMITTED IT ANYWAY FOR FUCKING CUNTS SAKES!!!!

MuteBanana

There are exceptions obviously. How convenient that the joke Gervais doesn't believe in is the one that just so happens to make him look like a prick.

HappyTree

"It was just a joke" is the standard denial written into human DNA.

Gervais is the epitome of cowardly jokesmiths. He really should not be doing ironic comedy at all. To pull it off you have to stick to what you said, weather the criticism, and have faith in your material and ability as a comedian to deliver it.

As has been said, you don't get Larry David going on Twitter explaining to everyone "Hey, I didn't really mean that mean joke, ok guys?"

Steven

It's as if Ricky Gervais is above us all, he's a quantum witticist. The subatomic particles that make up his opinions exist only if someone observes them passing through twitter without being offended, if the observer happens to be offended the particles instantly become jape particles. You see it's the observer whose actually causing offence, not Gervais.

Victor The Giraffe

I think Gervais deleted his apology for mocking depression sufferers because he realised it drew attention to his old 'edgy' and cruel comic persona. A persona which was either forgotten by, or not known to the Derek fans.

With the Derek special coming out on Netflix in a few days, now is not the best time to remind people of Gervais's jokes about people with mental health problems. I thought it was a nice tweet, but I can see why he felt he had to get rid of it. Gervais is kind. Gervais has always been kind. No evidence can exist to contradict that.

It's clear to me that Gervais felt he had to say something about the press coverage of that german pilot. Unfortunately for him, doing so meant admitting his own crassness . Can't deny it, all out there. Best stick to animal welfare, much simpler.

BritishHobo

Yer man's new movie is going straight-to-Netflix (in the US at least):

Quote from: http://deadline.com/2015/04/netflix-ricky-gervais-movie-special-corrspondents-eric-bana-1201405057/Netflix has acquired rights to Special Correspondents, the satirical comedy movie written and directed by Ricky Gervais and starring Eric Bana. It will premiere worldwide next year and marks the latest feature film play for the streaming giant, which has now pacted with several big comedy names for original movies including Judd Apatow and Adam Sandler.

In this one, Bana plays a struggling New York-based radio journalist whose arrogance and decadent lifestyle has hindered his career. With his job on the line, he fakes front-line war reports from the comfort of his hideout above a Spanish restaurant in the heart of Manhattan. The movie was first revealed in October. Sales kicked off the next month at AFM where Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions bought a package of overseas rights, with production slated to start this spring.

Bron Studios and Unanimous Entertainment are producing thie pic, with Gervais, Unanimous' Chris Coen, Bron's Aaron L. Gilbert, Manuel Munz and Larry Sanitsky on board to produce.

Noodle Lizard

Didn't he only write that about a month ago?  How is he able to get things made so easily STILL?!

I guess going straight to Netflix means it's less of a gamble.  He's never exactly been a box office draw, but I suppose having him on-side is good for a company that's only just starting to make films.

HappyTree

Adam Sandler. Judd Apatow. Ben Stiller. Ricky Gervais.

Not really the group of comedy stars he wanted to end up with, but hey. Adam Sandler.

MuteBanana

Quote from: BritishHobo on April 06, 2015, 10:27:05 PM

QuoteBana plays a struggling New York-based radio journalist whose arrogance and decadent lifestyle has hindered his career.

Hahaha.

phes

Has anyone seen the original?: Envoyes Tres Speciaux

I'm hoping to watch it later this week. It has an IMDB score in the 5. somethings, where a lot of the films i enjoy seem to reside

aaaaaand

those comments aren't about Derek: The Special. Sly twat.

MuteBanana

Didn't he use a variation of that cancer line on something to do with religion?

Pit-Pat

Quote from: BritishHobo on April 06, 2015, 10:27:05 PM

I guess it's too big for the big screen.

Or we'll read some absurdly obnoxious tweets about "Big screen or bigger paycheck? You decide"

MuteBanana

Found the quote I was thinking of. From 2013.

QuoteSuggesting I hate people with religion because I hate religion is like suggesting I hate people with cancer because I hate cancer.

Also this one on the same day.
QuoteI wish people would stop saying religion is like a cancer. It's not. Cancer sufferers don't go door to door forcing their cancer on you.

BAFTAs announced today. Nothing for Derek again.

Amusingly Rev has a couple of nominations and Detectorists is up for best scripted comedy.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Toby Jones has also been nominated for Marvellous, which was everything Derek tried and failed miserably to be.

chrispmartha

Properly late to the party here, but, saw something on twitter from Mr Gervais that really shows what a smug twat he is, complaining about a 'barman' from 'Sheffield ' said he was a shit comedian, he ended the tweet with 'gutted' obviously trying to belittle the guy, he did get pulled up on it but mostly people just commented about how much richer and popular gervais is tban the barman.

He really is s smug cunt isn't he, Gervais not the Barman from Sheffield!

Sin Agog

Looked for that tweet and found yet another tweet where he talks about being inspired by something (in this case Stan Laurel), as if that means Stan Laurel's talent somehow osmosed onto him.  Reminded me of the time he asked Karl to review that Lying movie (and looked genuinely fucked off that Karl didn't, for the first time in his life, gush all over it), before cutting Karl off and saying how he was inspired by every comedy great ever, thus being as good as them all.  Just be thankful he is an atheist, otherwise he'd be inspired by God and his ego would enter celestial levels.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: chrispmartha on August 20, 2017, 11:02:52 PM
Properly late to the party here, but, saw something on twitter from Mr Gervais that really shows what a smug twat he is, complaining about a 'barman' from 'Sheffield ' said he was a shit comedian, he ended the tweet with 'gutted' obviously trying to belittle the guy, he did get pulled up on it but mostly people just commented about how much richer and popular gervais is tban the barman.

He really is s smug cunt isn't he, Gervais not the Barman from Sheffield!

The irony being the further away Gervais gets from having a proper day job the worse at comedy he gets.

BritishHobo

He's doing that "he though he could hurt my feelings, and he can't" shit again. First of all, calling it 'hurting my feelings' is so fucking telling because second, if you have to pull info from someone's Twitter bio to scoff at them to your however many followers, it clearly did hurt your fragile feelings.

I don't get how people fall for it. He's always talking about ignoring critics and trolls and just living the best life, but he always gives them attention because they've always clearly affected him.

notjosh

Is this really the first time in two years that Ricky Gervais was a cunt on twitter? Fair play to him, he's clearly making an effort.

Jockice

A barman in Sheffield? Hope I know him. I'll buy him a pint anyday.

The other day I went to the Rifftrax live event where they riffed on Doctor Who: The Five Doctors and Mike Nelson had this line:

"It's atheist and former comedian Ricky Gervais!"

Quote from: Weeping Prophet on August 21, 2017, 09:55:45 PM
The other day I went to the Rifftrax live event where they riffed on Doctor Who: The Five Doctors and Mike Nelson had this line:

"It's atheist and former comedian Ricky Gervais!"

Haha! It is as well. No wonder he's obsessed with new regenerations - as an atheist he knows there's no Time Lord afterlife.

Ferris

Quote from: MuteBanana on December 15, 2013, 08:23:58 PM

Yes those are the same.

Ah, he's onto us. Might as well stop now.

Wearing a Yankees cap, not from New York. Opinion discarded.