Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:29:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The "Ricky Gervais is a cunt on Twitter" thread [split topic]

Started by Slaaaaabs, May 27, 2013, 09:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

The idea that his stand-up persona is a satirical character is an interesting one when you consider that his material on depression, about how it's not a real illness, actually - by his own admission - reflected his mistaken real-life views at the time.

And all the 'mong' stuff that he loved to do - why did he eventually apologise for it, and admit to being 'naive' to use the word? Surely that had all been 'in character' as well?

And when he wrote Derek, and grossly misjudged the disability angle. Was he actually writing as the satirical character of Ricky Gervais, and deliberately sending himself up by writing a bad and clueless show?

If so, and his entire career has actually all just been a brilliant, suicidally subversive attack on himself, he might, to be fair, be a genius. 

spamwangler

proof that youve got to give this whole 'character' thing a little bit of thought before hand i think. it dosent work as an excuse later

Cuellar

Surely you can't be both completely ironic and deliberately 'offensive', as he seems to want to be.

If it's all done ironically, it wouldn't be offensive, would it? You can't be trying to offend people AND be ironic at the same time - the 'offence' part relies on (certain) people assuming you're sincere.

That's why better comedians DO get away with saying offensive things, because everyone is well aware it's ironic.

I suppose this is just a continuation of the point someone made above that if a transgender person has to ask if he really thinks they're basically just pretending, the irony can't be very well deployed.

sevendaughters

in my experience, people who make you wonder if they're 'doing a bit', without exception, are just actually like that.

QDRPHNC

It is telling that both versions of Gervais (himself, and the so-called satirical version of himself) both punch down at precisely the same targets.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Thomas on May 16, 2018, 12:32:23 PM
Bragging about the size of one's bank account to deflect artistic criticism.

Bernard Manning did that on Mrs Merton. You're racist. Look at me Bentley, look at me gold watch, I don't care.

I remember thinking Manning was an idiot and had no defence at all. Maybe it's if you come from nowt and make a few quid for thouself, the money becomes the defence against criticism. 4 million punters can't be wrong.

Cuellar

Phil_A

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 17, 2018, 07:58:48 PM
Bernard Manning did that on Mrs Merton. You're racist. Look at me Bentley, look at me gold watch, I don't care.

I remember thinking Manning was an idiot and had no defence at all. Maybe it's if you come from nowt and make a few quid for thouself, the money becomes the defence against criticism. 4 million punters can't be wrong.

Manning used to brag on and on about how he played Vegas, bet you've never played Vegas have you, etc etc. It was his big put-down for other performers.

Turns out Manning's Vegas stint was a one-night-only deal arranged for a 1978 TV documentary. The way he described it made it sound like he was practically one of The Rat Pack.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Phil_A on May 17, 2018, 10:36:44 PM
Manning used to brag on and on about how he played Vegas, bet you've never played Vegas have you, etc etc. It was his big put-down for other performers.

Why do some people carry on like that? Must be a deep seated insecurity. Footballers are known to do it too. I make more than you ha ha. You only make 100,000 a week whereas if you check my contract you will see I make 250,000 a week and am considerably richer than yaow. I suppose it falls under the banter category, one of my least favourite categories.

Gervais is similar. He goes on Twitter looking for approval and when he isn't being appraised or approved 100% of the time he gets the old one-two punch of offence and his considerable wealth to counter with. I mean he could always just ignore them but no, they must be put in their place by my high status as a millionaire.

Next time he mentions his bank manager just post a couple of pics in return. I wonder if  Gervais would take it as a compliment. "Yes I do have loadsamoney and am considerably richer than yaow, thank you"

Jockice

Quote from: Phil_A on May 17, 2018, 10:36:44 PM

Turns out Manning's Vegas stint was a one-night-only deal arranged for a 1978 TV documentary. The way he described it made it sound like he was practically one of The Rat Pack.

He used to go on about his club in Manchester as well, like it was the north's premier nightspot. I got lost in the city once and ended up driving past it. It looked like a youth club.

phes

Ferris

saltysnacks

Quote from: gatchamandave on June 10, 2018, 03:55:04 AM
Airbrushtastic, mate

To be fair, I think that was back during those 5 minutes when he was actually thin.