Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:13:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Can you dig iiiiitttttt?

Started by VegaLA, May 29, 2013, 04:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegaLA

Any other fans of the cult hit 'The Warriors'?

Despite its campness it is easily up there in my all time fave films, so I was impressed to find some kind soul had gone through the trouble of locating the shooting locations and comparing them to how they are today.

http://www.scoutingny.com/?p=6629

I'm guilty of this too, as i've been watching 'The Rockford Files' and 'Starsky & Hutch' lately and spotting various areas i'm familiar with. Paid tribute to New Order's TOTP appearance on the Baywatch beach (Will Rogers beach near Mailbu) as it was 20 years ago last month since they performed 'Regret' there. Sad I know, but the kids had a fun time on the beach nonetheless.

Johnny Townmouse

I was thinking of posting a new thread about Film location pilgramages just today!

Kane Jones

"What the shit are we gonna do?"

I adore The Warriors. Not so keen on the director's cut with the comic book stuff though. It was nice to see James Remar turn up in Django Unchained recently.

Morrison Lard

The soundtrack is fucking corking.
Bought it on 12" vinyl in a second-hand shop in Leipzig for 5 Euros, near-mint!

Kane Jones

Quote from: Morrison Lard on May 29, 2013, 05:26:50 PM
The soundtrack is fucking corking.
Bought it on 12" vinyl in a second-hand shop in Leipzig for 5 Euros, near-mint!

Is the Desmond Child & Rouge song on it?

SteveDave

I got it on CD about a month ago. Last Of An Ancient Breed is an amazing tune.

Morrison Lard

Yeah, last one on it.
The opening theme still gets me all excited, the synths/keys are fantastic. Perfect build-up to it too.

El Unicornio, mang

Love this film. Probably due a rubbish remake sometime soon.

I like those filming location sites, although there's not really any need to go the places themselves a lot of the time, as they can be found easily on google street view (even some interiors now!)

Kane Jones

Quote from: SteveDave on May 29, 2013, 05:30:13 PM
I got it on CD about a month ago. Last Of An Ancient Breed is an amazing tune.

That's the one. I'm quite the fan of Des. Sure, he's a bit of a cheese monger, but he has a real ear for catchy melody and arrangement. The first DC & R album is a bit of a lost classic.

Quote from: Morrison Lard on May 29, 2013, 05:32:06 PM
The opening theme still gets me all excited, the synths/keys are fantastic. Perfect build-up to it too.
Must track that down. I love those synthy 70s movie soundtracks, John Carpenter, etc.

Old Thrashbarg

I bought one of the cheap[nb]not cheap at all, but much cheaper than an 'official' version[/nb] knockoff[nb]two words, surely? Firefox doesn't seem to mind though[/nb] leather vests/waistcoats a few years ago to wear on a fancy dress night out. It was cold, so I wore a black vest underneath, which had the added benefit of making my get up look very similar to Ajax's outfit. One other friend wore a Warriors vest too, making us a gang in the loosest possible terms, so that night, walking around Hull, we were essentially The Warriors. We coincidentally[nb]fairly remarkable really, the only time I've ever seen anyone else wear anything from that film and it was the one night I've done likewise[/nb] bumped into another group of people all dressed as Baseball Furies and joked about happening upon the other gangs from the film. This story has got no ending. It wasn't even really a story, was it?

I like the film.

Cohaagen

Quote from: VegaLA on May 29, 2013, 04:30:52 PMI'm guilty of this too, as i've been watching 'The Rockford Files' and 'Starsky & Hutch' lately and spotting various areas i'm familiar with. Paid tribute to New Order's TOTP appearance on the Baywatch beach (Will Rogers beach near Mailbu) as it was 20 years ago last month since they performed 'Regret' there. Sad I know, but the kids had a fun time on the beach nonetheless.

If only there were someone else on CaB who lived in America and could visit locations with you...has anyone mentioned it recently?

VegaLA

Quote from: Cohaagen on May 29, 2013, 06:09:13 PM
If only there were someone else on CaB who lived in America and could visit locations with you...has anyone mentioned it recently?

My closest CaB neighbour is Noodle Lizard who Suggested I head to the LACMA to see the Kubrick exhibition but i've yet to get there.

The shocking thing i've discovered while location hunting is the waste of some of the buildings in Downtown LA. Many of those sleazy hotels seen in 'Starsky & Hutch' are borded up and just left there rotting. I'm hoping the recent interest in remodelling/refurbishing the warehouses/lofts extends to these buildings bringing more life to downtown LA.

I do miss living at 'The Langham' building which is just off of Wilshire Blvd. Would constantly see that in commercials from Honda, MacDonlads, Morgan's Rum etc. Honestly surprised i've yet to see it feature in any of the 70s shows i'm watching now.

But yeah, i'd be down for some CaB location hunting.

Gulftastic

'I'll shove that bat up your ass and turn you into a popsicle' said with Ajax's lisping, campy voice is my favourite line. A film I've loved since I was a teen.

The leader of The Orphans looks like David Schwimmer's Dad.

SteveDave

Quote from: Gulftastic on May 29, 2013, 07:36:06 PM
'I'll shove that bat up your ass and turn you into a popsicle' said with Ajax's lisping, campy voice is my favourite line. A film I've loved since I was a teen.

Eliot Gould?

Saucer51

Quote from: Gulftastic on May 29, 2013, 07:36:06 PM

He's the one on Crocodile Dundee who is accosted by the eponymous hero in New York and told he'd probably see him around some time.

Warriors is a great film. I grew up on it as my older brothers always had it on.

One of the Lizzies looks like Jennifer Lopez. The one who plays Luther has such an archetypal Irish look about him that his real name more or less gives it away. I have only one gripe and perhaps it's unfair to question what is no doubt artistic licence: it was annoyingly convenient at the end where the Riffs overheard Luther's confession at the beach. Luther and Swan both stood with their profiles to the sea. They should have seen the swarm of Riffs approaching.
Other than that, an epic that should not be remade.

VegaLA

I must be one of the few people who is not against a Warriors remake then? Obviously could not be done in NYC now, but would certainly work in LA. The rumours a few years back indicated the remake would be based there but nothing came of it.

Also think this is a franchise Rockstar should revisit. Their original Warriors game fell flat on the last gen platform but a revised online gang based version would be more of a hit this time around. I think we tried to recreate gamplay in GTA IV but there was not enough of us to get it moving.

Fun times.

BlodwynPig

billyandthecloneasaurus

...SUCKERRRRRRRRRRR ?????????

I love it. Did anyone here ever play the game that Rockstar made a few years back? That was ace too. Not sure if it's considered 'canon' or not but there's loads of added backstory there for all the gangs and stuff. A little daft in places but well worth a look if you're a fan of the film.

lazarou

Quote from: VegaLA on May 29, 2013, 09:10:31 PM
Also think this is a franchise Rockstar should revisit. Their original Warriors game fell flat on the last gen platform but a revised online gang based version would be more of a hit this time around.
Eh? The game was a critical and commercial success. It's getting a PSN re-release this very week I believe. After Vice City I'd say it's still my favourite Rockstar game, I loved it.

Jim_MacLaine

When I was in Coney Island about 10 years ago they still had the Warriors graffiti on what was left of Stauch's baths. Dunno if it's still there today.

El Unicornio, mang

VegaLA

Quote from: lazarou on May 29, 2013, 11:58:46 PM
Eh? The game was a critical and commercial success. It's getting a PSN re-release this very week I believe. After Vice City I'd say it's still my favourite Rockstar game, I loved it.

Was it? It came out so late in that Gen's lifecycle and I remember posters from this board stating it was a dud. I didn't play it myself so I guess that was harsh of me to say but can only recall the reception from here.

Still, REALLY would love them to redo that title, so much more they can do with it now.

Famous Mortimer

I didn't love the game, but I only played it for a few hours after getting bored of the mechanics of it.

The film, though, is one of my absolute all-time favourites. The original version, that is – the blu-ray director's edition adds comic-strip intertitles to the scenes, which ruins it for me. A case of an old director who doesn't understand what made his film great in the first place. I did find out some good trivia though – the DP was a star, he got them to spray the streets where they were filming so the lights would reflect off it and create an interesting visual style.

It's slightly camp, action-packed, still an enormous amount of fun to watch, and I absolutely bloody love it.

babyshambler

You think the Orphans aint tough?

Great film. A lot of the OST reminds me of something that Parker and Stone would write, but that's not a bad thing.

Gulftastic

I watch it now and wonder how I ever could have not realised it's a fake Fox (faux fox?) that gets chased and thrown under a train.

lazarou

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 30, 2013, 10:14:23 AM
I didn't love the game, but I only played it for a few hours after getting bored of the mechanics of it.
It's not the best game ever, but the mere fact that they made an all-out multi-million dollar adaptation of a cult favourite played completely faithfully and entirely straight still blows my mind a little bit. Those parts where you're fleeing the baseball furies and the soundtrack kicks in are making me a little tingly just thinking back to it.

The film itself is a masterpiece, I love the daftness, the crazed individuality, but above all else the sheer energy of it. I'm a big fan of Bronx Warriors too (for slightly different reasons), but you can't beat the original for me.

Kane Jones

The brawls in The Warriors are fucking amazing too.  Particularly the bathroom fight near the end.  They're both beautiful and hard-hitting, like a good movie punch-up should be.  The tempo, the choreography, the editing; all brilliant, almost balletic.  There's some ridiculously violent moments, but they're choreographed and shot so wonderfully, you watch with a feeling of joy rather than wincing all the way through it.

kidsick5000

Quote from: VegaLA on May 29, 2013, 09:10:31 PM
I must be one of the few people who is not against a Warriors remake then?

You're not alone though. It's a film that if you watch it after the age of 13 is pretty baffling. Just what did make the kids from Fame turn out so bad?
But it's got some awesome ideas. I'd say Detroit would be a good location for its much needed remake.