Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:40:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Free shit to give away...

Started by Lieutenant Longstay, May 30, 2013, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QRDL

Quote from: Bhazor on March 06, 2018, 01:31:18 PM
Longest Journey is my favourite adventure game. Classic adventure game puzzles with a really likeable cast and an utterly charming setting. Just lovely stuff.

Same here, along with Grim Fandango. That's why I was a backer of Dreamfall Chapters. However, I must say it's an overall disappointment. The lore of this series grew into a gigantic burden for the final game. Let me know how you like it.

Wilbur

I've taken shadowrun returns, thanks.

Bhazor

Shadowrun Returns is good but Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall is fantastic. So if you like the style and combat of Returns get Dragonfall on your wishlist. It's usually at least 50% off during any sale season.

olliebean

And I've grabbed Tesla Effect, ta muchly.

Bhazor

Satellite Reign free for next 5 minutes

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/satellite-reign?hmb_source=humble_home&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=mosaic_section_1_layout_index_1_layout_type_twos_tile_index_2

Quote from: QRDL on March 06, 2018, 01:40:36 PM
Let me know how you like it.

A little over half way just finished chapter 3 of 5. But its reminded me exactly why I didn't like Dreamfall. Fucking Kian. A tedious boring genero cunt whose mere presence seems to remove all charm and personality from everyone else. Just got to arcadia as Zoe and within 5 minutes the game is overflowing with charm and I'm getting a dialog tree with a dozen choices and its funny and filled with wit but still with dark undercurrents about interdimensional time travel through dreams and then its back to Kian and everyone's deadly serious and dull exposition and no dialog options and irritating characters and its a dull generic story about "How could you betray me? No, how could you betray me!".

Yet again just like with Dreamfall I'm holding my breath at every loading screen just in case I need to sigh in resignation when it turns out I'm playing Kian.

Beyond that it has some of the same problems as Dreamfall. Big 3D world that doesn't really add anything and is too low budget to be really impressive. A severe shortage of actual puzzles with at least a couple that are dragged out due to the need to walk everywhere and so its like pixel hunting except if it took 2 or 3 minutes to walk from one screen to the next. The worst of which are all in Kian chapters because of course they fucking are. But I'm enjoying it more than Dreamfall. Kian's chapters are certainly better than they were in Dreamfall to the point that they're merely tedious as opposed to actively hateful. Zoe's story is great and filled with character. There's also no stealth or combat although their absence makes the whole 3D aspect even more unnecessary. It also unlike Dreamfall doesn't ruin April's character by turning her from a funny relatable out of her depths college dropout into a monotone goth warrior with scant character development. Nah, they just fucking kill her.

Zoe also has a smashing arse on her.

So far 8/10. Probably the best "your choices matter" point and click adventure game I've played.

I've been replaying Longest Journey just as a story refresher and I still think its fantastic. Though it does look like absolute dogshit filled with visual glitches, terrible compressed FMVs and so many jaggies the world looks like it was cut out with safety scissors.

bgmnts

I remember Dreamfall had the cool Zoe sections with the cute little teddy bear and the cool crow and all that but then there was the boring section with the dude who's name I can't remember.

Bhazor

Just finished Dreamfall Chapters. The final episode dropped it from an 8 to a 6. One of the worst endings I've seen in a while. Fuck sake. Zoe still gets a 9 for her arse though.

Longest Journey still lovely.

brat-sampson

I'm not giving it away myself, but Monument Valley is free on Android for a bit. Bite-size, engaging, fairly simple but clever enough puzzling fun for free on your phone. Not what's to like?

Zetetic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth