Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:12:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

$32,000 Kickstarter campaign piss-take for debut video...

Started by DrunkCountry, May 30, 2013, 01:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrunkCountry

QuoteZosia Mamet, better known as Shoshanna in Lena Dunham's HBO dramedy Girls, has announced a folk music project.

The Cabin Sisters is Zosia's project with her sister Clara (also an actress). They're asking for $32,ooo via Kickstarter to make a video for their song 'Bleak Love'.

Full story here:

http://www.forfolkssake.com/blog/23218/blog-shoshannas-32k-music-video-kickstarter

& actual Kickstarter campaign + heartfelt pleas video here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/512169314/the-cabin-sisters-zosia-and-clara-mamet

Johnny Townmouse

Use the money to fund a cheap $5 entry tour?

Use the money to fund an album or accompanying EP?

Nah use it to make a shitty video.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on May 30, 2013, 01:56:58 PM
Nah use it to make a shitty video.

There's loads of shitty videos already, most of them are German.

Why did I post that ?

kngen

I can only imagine that Zach Braff and her out of the Dresden Dolls put them up to this to take the heat off themselves. I really like(d) Zosia Mamet in Mad Men and Girls, but this is pretty fucking ridiculous.

I enjoyed this takedown of the whole thing - and you can hear their incredibly average song there too.

mook

what happens to the money already donated if one of these kickstarter things fails to reach the goal amount? does it get returned to the people who donated, or do these herberts keep it to themselves?

Geraint

I think the standard is that you 'donate' and give the site your payment details, and they charge you when the goal is reached. So if it falls short nobody pays.

NoSleep

mook

ah right, thanks. so my performance art piece "the flaming demise of 10,000 ukes." will have to be self-funded then.

lazarou

You could always use a "flexible funding" option like IndieGoGo, the last resort of the genuinely scummy.

Formidable lack of self-awareness from the sisters there. $7,000 to be an extra (travel & boarding not included) in a video for a project even the group's supporters probably only vaguely care about. I could applaud the sheer audacity of it, but I suppose I'd have to Kickstart my impending body percussion performance first.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: mook on May 30, 2013, 03:23:42 PM
ah right, thanks. so my performance art piece "the flaming demise of 10,000 ukes." will have to be self-funded then.

Cheques in the post.

boki

Quote from: mook on May 30, 2013, 03:23:42 PM

I'll pitch in £20, that should pay for about a quarter of the cast or summat.

vrailaine

How much is David Mamet worth? Can't imagine him being the kind of libertarian guy who genuinely believes in things like abolishing inheritance and whatnot.

She's doing well enough for herself too.

Is it worse than Sabrina's? To be asking for such a small thing makes me think yes.

vrailaine

When they've backed nothing themselves always pisses me off too. At least both Rob Thomas and Braff had sponsored things across a fair stretch of time, either implying they wanted to help others too or that they at least carefully considered how bad they may look.

Edley

I like that you haven't to pledge $25 to get anything at all.

lazarou

On the bright side, it looks like no-one's buying it, with them barely scraping past $2,000 so far. And the impressively catty backlash is sort of fun.

chocky909

SteveDave

Noodle Lizard

Does anyone know what her average salary per episode is?

olliebean

Quote from: lazarou on June 01, 2013, 07:03:47 PM
On the bright side, it looks like no-one's buying it, with them barely scraping past $2,000 so far. And the impressively catty backlash is sort of fun.

Blimey, that Melissa Joan Hart one is a bit desperate, isn't it?

chand

The weird thing about the Cabin Sisters one is that given the basic, almost acapella sound of the song, I can't imagine it suiting an opulent professional video. They've done a straight one-shot live take on their Facebook page which makes more sense, so this is really just a lot of fucking about for no reason.

Famous Mortimer

I really hope this is the end of it, of people with more wealth and connections than yer average starting-up person could ever dream of attaining, trying to get money from their fans (although it appears in this case they tried to do it before they ever had fans).

Talking of Indiegogo, the only difference (as far as I could tell) is that you pay the person in question, no matter how much / little they get. The film I gave some money to will probably end up being scummy, but it won't be made by scummy people.

kngen

Was having a think about the Kickstarter thing this morning, and wondering why affluent celebs with connections would panhandle on the internet - and it struck me [nb]and this may be obvious to everyone else, but it was a mini-epiphany for me[/nb], it's an even more potent form of instant adulation than Twitter, because it's monetised. I guess the big dick-swinging contest among these attention-craving narcissists from now on is not how many followers they have on Twitter or Facebook, but how much money they can raise in a short amount of time for some half-formed idea they farted out in first class on the way home from Sundance. So that makes failures of the Mamets and Melissa Joan Hart even more enjoyable: 'Look how much value you actually have in this real-life Popex!'

It's only a matter of time before Gervais weighs up his worth on this celebrity-ego Ebay. Unfortunately, he'll probably do quite well with Derek the Musical or whatever.

Danger Man

Quote from: lazarou on June 01, 2013, 07:03:47 PM
On the bright side, it looks like no-one's buying it, with them barely scraping past $2,000 so far.

Asking $8,000 for a chair is hardly the right way to go about it.

They'd probably have reached the target if they had offered a few 'will perform live in your living room'[nb]steady now[/nb] options.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Danger Man on June 03, 2013, 10:32:15 AM
They'd probably have reached the target if they had offered a few 'will perform live in your living room'[nb]steady now[/nb] options.
But that would have involved them actually doing something for their money, which they seem curiously unwilling to do.

lazarou

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 03, 2013, 09:51:32 AM
Talking of Indiegogo, the only difference (as far as I could tell) is that you pay the person in question, no matter how much / little they get. The film I gave some money to will probably end up being scummy, but it won't be made by scummy people.
Oh, I didn't mean it's exclusively used by that sort of person. Just that I've seen one too many projects on there that had no hope of even touching their targets but were all too happy to run off with a few hundred quid from what's left of their fanbase. It's not entirely full of chancers, but it's cetainly more chancer-friendly.

Note that flexible funding is not the only option for IndieGoGo, you have to choose that specifically. It used to be the go-to for UK projects of any stripe as they couldn't legally use Kickstarter, but I think that's changed since.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: lazarou on June 03, 2013, 12:05:49 PM
It's not entirely full of chancers, but it's cetainly more chancer-friendly.
Agreed.

imitationleather

That Cabin Sisters tune definitely has a The Shaggs vibe to it for me. Anyone else getting this?

If it was a campaign for a video for Who Are Parents I'd be all over it.