Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:02:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The worst song you've ever heard

Started by the psyche intangible, May 30, 2013, 04:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

There's something deeply unsettling about that

The last 5 seconds are demented

Don_Preston

Quote from: jenna appleseed on December 13, 2014, 10:16:24 PM
Well, this is certainly a thing that just happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQvJ85yS-qI#t=96

Norman's latest work with the Fannies isn't quite up to scratch.

chand

As a result of being too lazy to get round to editing the menu music on PES 2015 yet, I'm now regularly subjected to this fucking atrocity that's inevitably been on an advert:

American Authors - 'Best Day Of My Life'

Everything about this sets my teeth on edge, from the banjo intro, to the guy's charmless shouty voice, to the clichéd lyrics. Something about the lyrics makes it sound like it was written to be advert-friendly. It also has some of the shittest "Whoo" and "Whoa-oh" moments in rock history.

The Wiki page explains how this terrible mess came about:

QuoteZac Barnett told an interviewer for Blueprint Magazine, "Recently we have been experimenting with a lot of different instruments including banjo, mandolin and various percussion toys. Africa-influenced rhythms have been taking more of a prominent role in our songs which has then opened up our ideas on melodies. We're always open to trying new things and we get very excited to learn new instruments and experiment with new sounds. ... "Best Day of My Life" was an idea that James and I had been messing around with. We had the pre-chorus and chorus but once we showed the idea to the rest of the guys they came in and restructured the verses and added the stuttered "life" chorus. Looking back on it, the song changed a lot from the initial idea but that's what I love so much about it. I'll always remember that song being started on acoustic guitars in my tiny Bushwick bedroom, but all of us together as a band really took the song to a completely different place."[1]

(Barnett mentions "the stuttered 'life' chorus"—as in "the best day of my li-i-i-i-ife"; the "stuttering" also occurs in a recurrent "whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh"—by which he refers to a lyrical tradition of stuttering in rock music, popularized by Buddy Holly,[2][3] David Bowie ("Ch-Ch-Changes"),[4] Elton John,[5] and others.)

Every bit of that makes me want to throw stuff at their heads.

Subtle Mocking

Imagine Dragons have a very similar song that I always confuse with it, 'On Top of the World' (that too was in a football game). Far from the worst thing ever for me, but still completely toothless, lame garbage. Like they've taken Sunshine Pop and stripped out all of the interesting harmonies and melodies.

Jockice

It's Shiny Happy People by REM. And don't argue, cos I'm right.

Treguard of Dunshelm

The original was never much cop anyway, but the new xmas/WW1 version of All Together Now is one of the most rancid heaps of cack my ears have been unfortunate enough to hear. It's not just bad it sounds half finished, fucking shambles.

Don_Preston

Quote from: Treguard of Dunshelm on December 21, 2014, 06:55:08 AM
It's not just bad it sounds half finished, fucking shambles.

It's a delightful cacophony from the get-go, with the tuneless layering of the vocals. I had to make sure I didn't have two videos on at once when I started hearing the Roland drum machine.

And Suggs' rap...

jenna appleseed

not sure if this belongs here, worst Christmas songs (well the tune is a Christmas song), or (ultra) bleak things posted on facebook.

eta: Probably needs a trigger warning.
Alex Chilton during a radio session in 78 while in a very, very dark/fucked up place emotionally. Contains Nazis and a soul crushing sense of nihilistic emptiness. 10000x bleaker than Big Star's Holocaust.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgjbJpanUCM

PaulTMA

Quote from: jenna appleseed on December 22, 2014, 11:58:26 PM
not sure if this belongs here, worst Christmas songs (well the tune is a Christmas song), or (ultra) bleak things posted on facebook.

eta: Probably needs a trigger warning.
Alex Chilton during a radio session in 78 while in a very, very dark/fucked up place emotionally. Contains Nazis and a soul crushing sense of nihilistic emptiness. 10000x bleaker than Big Star's Holocaust.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgjbJpanUCM

The vocal is up there with his best though - he sings the word "nazis" beautifully.

I posted the rest of the session in the comments, it's a right good jam overall

jenna appleseed

Quote from: PaulTMA on December 25, 2014, 12:51:35 AM
The vocal is up there with his best though - he sings the word "nazis" beautifully.

I posted the rest of the session in the comments, it's a right good jam overall

It's good but too bleak/horrific for me right now (plus the whole weight of something that was a read about & half forgotten rock n roll dark myth suddenly becoming all too real) but thanks (I think) for uploading + the full session (grabbing it now). 

(bit wierd it turning out to be from someone from here, just turned up on my facebook feed via a random bloke from a Clash fan group .)

Hypodeemic Nerdle

PaulTMA

cosmic-hearse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTA6T5Tj4Fo

Not the worst song I've ever heard, but the late Michael Elphick's upbeat ode to abducting young women is, as the song's uploader writes, "mis-judged"

Chriddof

Ha, I'm the uploader of that! "Mis-judged" is a major understatement, yes, and it's really weird how it didn't seem to get any mention at the time. It's off a compilation called "Music For Mentalists", which is mainly full of oddball shite of the sort you'd normally find uploaded to WFMU's blog, only British in origin. The same thing has that "Music Man" track by Rusty Goffe.

DJ One Record

This song has been tipped by the big indie rags as the song of the year. And it's absolute fucking arse granite:

Future Islands - Seasons (Waiting On You)
http://youtu.be/e8Uhf3gM1m0

Clearly an attempt at a Springsteen style power ballad, but jeezus F cunts, it's so tepid it looks like a bad wedding band having a breakdown. Lyrics half-inched from an eight year old's creative writing project: "People change, but some people never do." OH BIG FUCKING LESSON MR CENSUS TAKER

And then he points thoughtfully as if to say "That's profound, lads." 'coz Sam Herring really feels it, MAAAAN. You can tell, 'coz he beats his chest like an ape and Linda Blairs a guttural gurgle even Dani Filth would be ashamed of.

Fuck's sake, just look at that dancing bellend. LOOK AT HIM. He makes Andy McCluskey look like Pina fucking Bausch.

Apparently, Bono called this song "a miracle". It's not a miracle, it's a fucking mercy flush.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

You'd better watch what you say about that bloke, mate - he might be reading this thread. In fact, given his hairline, he probably is.

Garam

I just spent 3 hours going through this thread. Weirdly really enjoyed it.

This is the first song that comes to mind, played constantly when i worked in a restaurant. I quit because of it, vowed never to work in a job where i couldn't choose the music i'd listen to ever again. This song changed my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG9C0VwruXE

Youtube comments about how superior the 90s were tops it all off.

Brings to mind the ennui felt when pretending to be sick to twag school as a kid, and watching Party of Five or Dawson's Creek on daytime tv. Purgatory. I hate 99%+ of 90s culture, fucking terrible.

billyandthecloneasaurus

mr chriddof will forever be the king of youtube

non capisco

Quote from: DJ One Record on December 28, 2014, 02:09:02 AM
This song has been tipped by the big indie rags as the song of the year. And it's absolute fucking arse granite:

I really like that song but watching any performance of it after seeing the one they did on Letterman is a bit like when you realised the 'ad libs' on the Bottom live tours were the same every night.

thraxx

Clearly an attempt at a Springsteen style power ballad, but jeezus F cunts, it's so tepid it looks like a bad wedding band having a breakdown. Lyrics half-inched from an eight year old's creative writing project: "People change, but some people never do." OH BIG FUCKING LESSON MR CENSUS TAKER

And then he points thoughtfully as if to say "That's profound, lads." 'coz Sam Herring really feels it, MAAAAN. You can tell, 'coz he beats his chest like an ape and Linda Blairs a guttural gurgle even Dani Filth would be ashamed of.

Fuck's sake, just look at that dancing bellend. LOOK AT HIM. He makes Andy McCluskey look like Pina fucking Bausch.

Apparently, Bono called this song "a miracle". It's not a miracle, it's a fucking mercy flush.

It's basically Keane for 2014.

DukeDeMondo

Folk like it because it's beautiful and they are beautiful and to hell with you if you thought that was the first anyone ever heard of them.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: thraxx on December 29, 2014, 11:12:47 PM
It's basically Keane for 2014.

Thraxx, come on. That's just fucking ridiculous.

DukeDeMondo

A lot of folk here blaming the record because you didn't clock the band six years earlier. Not the band's fault.

monolith

Quote from: monolith on December 31, 2014, 01:25:46 AM
Babycakes.
I posted this just before I went to bed last night, the masochist in me decided to check to see if this song was really as bad as I remembered and before the 3rd syllable was uttered I had already been violated. Had this ear fuck of a song in my head all sodding night.

Spiteface

Easy target, maybe, but pick any N-Dubz song. "Papa Can You Hear Me?" for example.

And yes, "Babycakes" is godawful. More horrifying than if someone actually did make a cake out of babies.

In general, mainstream dance music in the late-naughties was pretty awful.

The best thing that came out of this song was a TV Burp bit.[nb]Shaking up the Funky House scene![/nb]

DJ One Record

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on December 31, 2014, 04:04:40 AM
A lot of folk here blaming the record because you didn't clock the band six years earlier. Not the band's fault.

"The only reason you all hate it is because YOU are Future Islands."

SavageHedgehog

I love that Babycakes kept "band of a generation" The Libertines off No. 1 (the only time they came remotely close)

23 Daves

"Dave, come quickly! The Czech Republic have put forward a pretty odd band for Eurovision!"
"Oh wow! Yeah, this is a bit different... er.... but it's not actually much good, is it?"
"I know".
"They're not going to get through the semi-final stage, are they?"
"No".