Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,174
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:27:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The worst song you've ever heard

Started by the psyche intangible, May 30, 2013, 04:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kngen

Regarding Future Islands, I think, away from the Letterman appearance, the song seems pretty slight and doesn't do a whole lot for me - but I fucking love that bit of video. It's pretty electrifying, and - even if the schtick is rehearsed and done elsewhere - it's still a lovely, goosebumpy thing to behold. A true Great Pop Moment, which - in our fractured modern world - don't come around too often anymore. When it comes to music, I'm as snobby, contrary and cynical as they come, so it was a pleasant surprise that it moved me in the way it did (especially when it was emailed to me by endless friends, acquaintances and band mates as the 'the most amazing piece of fuck known to shit'). It made think that, despite my world-weary countenance, yes, I would have been knocked on my arse had I seen Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show, Grand Master DXT on the Grammys or Fear on Saturday Night Live[nb]Not suggesting that the Letterman performance is equal to these world-shaking events, just that it operates on the same frequencey[/nb] in their respective epochs, rather than going 'Pfft, laaaaame!'

So, aye, well done.

23 Daves

Quote from: kngen on December 31, 2014, 04:32:19 PM
Regarding Future Islands, I think, away from the Letterman appearance, the song seems pretty slight and doesn't do a whole lot for me - but I fucking love that bit of video. It's pretty electrifying, and - even if the schtick is rehearsed and done elsewhere - it's still a lovely, goosebumpy thing to behold. A true Great Pop Moment, which - in our fractured modern world - don't come around too often anymore. When it comes to music, I'm as snobby, contrary and cynical as they come, so it was a pleasant surprise that it moved me in the way it did (especially when it was emailed to me by endless friends, acquaintances and band mates as the 'the most amazing piece of fuck known to shit'). It made think that, despite my world-weary countenance, yes, I would have been knocked on my arse had I seen Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show, Grand Master DXT on the Grammys or Fear on Saturday Night Live[nb]Not suggesting that the Letterman performance is equal to these world-shaking events, just that it operates on the same frequencey[/nb] in their respective epochs, rather than going 'Pfft, laaaaame!'

So, aye, well done.

I don't get it, I'm afraid. It's like an Odd Pop Moment in Eurovision (as I piss-takingly observed in my last post) rather than a Grand Moment. And part of the oddness actually stems from the way the lead singer looks so incredibly ordinary yet is doing a kind of New Wave dance. Not much to get fired up about.

It's not exactly the White Stripes on Letterman, something I genuinely did get over-excited by.

kngen

Quote from: 23 Daves on December 31, 2014, 04:42:31 PM
I don't get it, I'm afraid. It's like an Odd Pop Moment in Eurovision (as I piss-takingly observed in my last post) rather than a Grand Moment. And part of the oddness actually stems from the way the lead singer looks so incredibly ordinary yet is doing a kind of New Wave dance. Not much to get fired up about.

It's not exactly the White Stripes on Letterman, something I genuinely did get over-excited by.

Funny, because that White Stripes appearance (and the White Stripes in general, to be honest) was exactly the kind of occasion where my snobby 'Pfft, it's not exactly (insert more obscure, never-going-to-get-on-TV-ever band here), is it?' outlook reared its head and meant I missed out on all the fun (like not going to see them at their now-legendary - in Glasgow, at least - gig at the tiny King Tuts when I was sat drinking in a pub around the corner).

It's almost entirely subjective, of course, and no amount of message-board debating is ever going to resolve the arguement that boils down to 'that thing you think is shit is actually brilliant' or vice versa. But yes, I do think it's the oddness that grabbed people - the incongruity of a middle-aged bank manager crooning over an early New Order B-side then doing death-grunts and slapping his chest like a 20-year-old hardcore kid is not something that we've been oversatured with, even on a DIY underground level[nb]which was definitely my feeling when the White Stripes arrived, who came on the tail-end of a pretty long and increasingly dull garage-rock revival. In retrospect, of course, they definitely had something that set them apart, even aside from the 'are they? aren't they' two-piece thing. But at the time, I was convinced this lot were going to be the big breakout stars of the garage rock scene, and the biggest thing that happened to them was that the singer appeared on a couple of Basement Jaxx songs, so what the fuck do I know?[/nb], so for me - and a several tens of thousands other people - there was a graitfying feeling of 'Well, this is new!' And I thought it was interesting that two of the singers in my bands (different ones) both emailed me the link with 'have you seen this guy? Amazing!' sentiments attached.

But I can easily see why folk would find it risible. Maybe that's why I thought it was cool, too. Like I said, I'm a contrary cunt.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: DJ One Record on December 31, 2014, 12:43:37 PM
"The only reason you all hate it is because YOU are Future Islands."

Ha, yes. Should say, I was plastered when I posted all that, so at least half the arse that was coming out of me was just a bit of drunk ribbing. Still think Future Islands are wonderful, though.

Gulftastic

23 Daves

Yeah, I like that one as well. It's playful enough to get away with it.

newbridge

Quote from: Camp Tramp on January 01, 2015, 12:18:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxxajLWwzqY

God awful dance tune that manages to be quite insidious too!

Glad to see tATu were able to reinvent themselves for a new decade.

Camp Tramp

Some more dreadful songs from opposite sides of the spectrum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGwB-f1xfxM

I suppose this song was made with the intention to be dreadful, still.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX0uEs3I6TA

The band name is somewhat ironic.

Well that's 3 songs I have posted now, so obviously my grasp of the subject matter is tenous at best?

Jockice

I'm sure I read somewhere that the Vanilla record was a result of a bet to get the worst song possible into the charts. If it was whoever put the bet on won.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: kngen on December 31, 2014, 04:32:19 PM

So, aye, well done.

The thing is, right, that I reckon it speaks more to the lack of frontmanship from other mainstream bands than it does to this particular fella's onstage charisma.  Almost every band I choose to see live (you wouldn't have heard of them, daaaarling) has ten times the presence that this Dancing Priest does, but nobody gives a fuck because it's "odd music".  But if you do it with unchallenging derivative synth-pop, you're GOD[nb]EDIT:  I don't hold any ill-will against Sam Herring, he does what he does and he does it fairly well, but fuck the audiences who think they've had a transcendent experience as a result of his antics just because they haven't bothered to look anywhere else[/nb].

St. Vincent's doing a similar thing far, far better (and I don't particularly care for her music).

Camp Tramp

Quote from: Jockice on January 03, 2015, 01:04:54 PM
I'm sure I read somewhere that the Vanilla record was a result of a bet to get the worst song possible into the charts. If it was whoever put the bet on won.

The bet was to reach #1 I believe? It made #2 so the bet was lost!

kngen

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 03, 2015, 01:23:48 PM
The thing is, right, that I reckon it speaks more to the lack of frontmanship from other mainstream bands than it does to this particular fella's onstage charisma.  Almost every band I choose to see live (you wouldn't have heard of them, daaaarling) has ten times the presence that this Dancing Priest does, but nobody gives a fuck because it's "odd music".  But if you do it with unchallenging derivative synth-pop, you're GOD[nb]EDIT:  I don't hold any ill-will against Sam Herring, he does what he does and he does it fairly well, but fuck the audiences who think they've had a transcendent experience as a result of his antics just because they haven't bothered to look anywhere else[/nb].

St. Vincent's doing a similar thing far, far better (and I don't particularly care for her music).

Context, though, innit? Even by Fear's own standards, their performance on SNL was pretty toothless[nb]Lee Ving singing 'homosexuals' off-mic, so as not to offend too many people[/nb], but it was fucking exciting to watch, as it prompted a bit of anarchic behaviour (a 'riot', according to a scandalised New York Times) and shocked/thrilled the nation in the process. Like I said before, I'm not comparing the two directly, just saying that they are in the same vein - and your speed-skating bank manager man showed a bit of passion and stage-craft that - yes - hardy gig-going types like ourselves probably see on a weekly basis but this lept out at me in an environment where the likes of Adele and Ellie Goulding are seen as cutting edge. There have been bigger, more charismatic personalities who, having outgrown the scenes that begat them, have then shriveled up under the undiscerning gaze of the mainstream, so fair play to yer man for grabbing his chance with both of his herky-jerky arms. 

I'm aware that, the more I defend them, the more I sound like a unquestioning fanboy (or worse, someone who's only recently been introduced to the concept of music, and finds moving pictures of people singing unbelievably exciting). I just think it was a cool little pop happening that made me sit up and take notice[nb]and I even checked out some of their other stuff. But, nah, not for me really. Too bland.[/nb], and I really can't remember the last time that happened. Nirvana doing Territorial Pissings on the Jonathan Ross Show, maybe.

Due to un-asked for exposure to Kiss FM at work, I'm forced to endure "L.A.LOVE" by Fergie at least once an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLyP0B2Q-R4

Her voice is so fucking annoying. That LA LA LA LA LA hook is like nails pounding into my skull.

jenna appleseed

Necro bump - had to search for the thread because this came on internet radio.

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTZZjemferM

repressed 80s horror / kiddy holiday disco desolation (probably alongside The Birdy Song).

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: jenna appleseed on August 25, 2018, 10:56:35 PM
Necro bump - had to search for the thread because this came on internet radio.

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTZZjemferM

repressed 80s horror / kiddy holiday disco desolation (probably alongside The Birdy Song).

i was born in the wrong generation this iREAL MUSIC NOT LIKE THAT HAAHNNA MONTANTA CRAP

Jockice

Quote from: Borboski on June 29, 2013, 09:41:38 PM
Kill the thread, War is Over by Speak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--Vaz9jW054

BIZNUTS.

But that's not as bad as our very own Ocean Colour Scene's Profit In Peace. I bet they were sitting there writing it thinking this is our very own Give Peace A Chance. It'll sell millions and save the world.

And all the people who lost their feet or hands don't wanna fight no more. Except against leprosy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythCSNqa3gA

Jockice

Quote from: Retinend on November 20, 2013, 12:49:46 AM
My favourite bad Razorlight song is In The Morning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZNq43OnuSg especially when he sings "but last night, was so much fun." Just what is that video all about?

I woke up with this in my head this morning. It's been uphill all the way ever since.

Jockice

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 03, 2015, 01:23:48 PM

I always thought that Future Islands fuss was similar to the first time people in Britain saw Pulp on telly. The singer looks like that and yet he's 'dancing' like he's some sort of sex symbol...

jenna appleseed

Michael Jackson and Eddie Murphy - "What's Up With You?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9cQOcAC_K8

Eddy Murphy as a Clone & Michael Jackson as a Budweiser frog.

Retinend

Unfortunately this still exists:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlAKU0S37EM
I hate everything about it. The lyrics, the keys, the singer, the bassline, the vocabulary, the guitar solo...
The band used to do some amateur e-commerce marketing on Last.fm by spamming pages.

And if that wasn't weird enough, try this candidate on for size:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JVfVHblAn8&;

famethrowa

Quote from: Retinend on January 13, 2019, 10:41:35 PM
I hate everything about it. The lyrics, the keys, the singer, the bassline, the vocabulary, the guitar solo...
The band used to do some amateur e-commerce marketing on Last.fm by spamming pages.

Is it meant to be some kind of Divine Comedy ripoff?

SteveDave

"Rockstar" by Nickelback
"This Is How You Remind Me" by Nickelback
"Something Human" by Muse (AKA Space Nickelback)

monolith

Quote from: SteveDave on January 14, 2019, 12:06:03 PM

"Something Human" by Muse (AKA Space Nickelback)
The fart noises are good though.

Chollis

Gotta be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yBnIUX0QAE

Probably not the worst song I've ever heard but fucking hell I hate it so much. It was played on repeat for what felt like forever when it was released. And everyone who liked it was an unmitigated cunt, including my little sister

famethrowa

Quote from: Chollis on January 16, 2019, 12:07:04 PM
Gotta be

Probably not the worst song I've ever heard but fucking hell I hate it so much. It was played on repeat for what felt like forever when it was released. And everyone who liked it was an unmitigated cunt, including my little sister

I'm sure I remember Q magazine sucking these clowns off massively, making them sound like rock messiahs. That was about the time I stopped buying Q magazine.

Jockice

Quote from: Chollis on January 16, 2019, 12:07:04 PM
Gotta be

it's much better if you sing along to the chorus but change the words 'the moonlight' to 'baboon shite.' It's such a fine and natural sight.

Lordofthefiles

"I Just Called to Say I Love You" - Stevie Wonder

It's a) shit as fuck, b) weirdly off kilter, just slightly too slow, so it has a plodding shitness about it from the very start, c) it's chord progression is so simple, unvaried and 'special school' in its execution that even Pete Waterman would demand a rewrite, and d) It reminds me of the bleak, bleak 1980's.

Another "worst song" thread, another chance to mention that the worst song ever is DJ Otzi's 'Hey Baby (Ooh Aah)'.  Same time next year lads.

Icehaven

Quote from: Retinend on January 13, 2019, 10:41:35 PM

That sounds so much like a shiter version of a Brum band I saw a few times back in the 2000s, Envy and Other Sins (who also had a historic aesthetic, although theirs was more Victorian/Edwardian) that I wondered if it was the singer as after EAOS split he went on to try and do something else musical. But it isn't.