Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:17:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'Create Desktop Icons'

Started by Zetetic, May 31, 2013, 04:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

(as seen in a Windows installer)

Does anyone do this on purpose? What's the matter with you?

mcbpete

Not me (my current Windows desktop) -

Blumf

It's handy for certain situations, stuff like the computer in question is a single use machine with very non-IT literate users. Even now, in the second decade of the 21st century, there are a lot of people out there who haven't a clue how to use PCs.

Otherwise, horrible thing, should be off by default if it's on the installer at all. You come across peoples PCs with their desktop jammed full of pointless icons, idiots!

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: mcbpete on May 31, 2013, 04:07:08 PM

How do you get them all apple like at the bottom there?

mcbpete

ObjectDock (though there's a free alternative called RocketDock)

Mildly Diverting

I think that's rocket dock (reading a tablet in the sun, so probably wrong).

Edit ^ told you.

chocky909

What's the point in keeping your desktop clear? I have icons for the programmes and folders I use on my desktop. I use the Show Desktop button to get there. If someone can explain why using a dock is a better way then I'm all ears.

mcbpete

For me personally it means loading new apps with just one click, rather than minimising everything else (or Windows+D). I know it's just the one click but after a long while it really does speed up the OS usage.

misterfridge

Quote from: mcbpete on May 31, 2013, 04:07:08 PM

Where's that image from, it's awesome?!

weekender

I've gone one step further with ObjectDock and set it to minimise automatically.  Proper full screen usage, one-click to open an application, it's a whole new world!

Thanks for the heads-up!

mcbpete

Quote from: misterfridge on June 01, 2013, 07:39:53 AM
Where's that image from, it's awesome?!
It's from the near the end (19:10) of Genius Party Beyond - Dimension bomb: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPrYk-IWy2Y