Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:38:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ozric Tentacles

Started by Viero_Berlotti, June 02, 2013, 08:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Gozongas

BlodwynPig

Bump for all the CaB Ozricheadz - a new album on the horizon and this single dropped today

Ozric Tentacles - Humboldt Currant

dex

An Ozrics single?! Not dropped one of those since Pyramidian or Sploosh!

earl_sleek

After 1 listen that sounds a bit more classic Ozrics than the recent few albums - less of an influence from non-western music. It's definitely not gonna make anyone who thinks all their music sounds the same change their mind though! But to me they're like the Fall - always the same but always different.

I hope they'll be touring once the lockdown is lifted, I guess 2021 is more likely now. Only saw them once, and it was great, but I was tripping my tits off and can't remember much, it'd be good to see them a bit more sober.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 17, 2013, 11:03:22 PM
The worst I have heard was Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree saying they were very repetitive.

To me that seems a very odd thing to say, like he hasn't actually listened to them in any depth, because one of the things I enjoy about the Ozrics is the sense of journey and motion in their songs (and I like tonnes of repetitive music). I like a lot of Wilson's music but he is a dick.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: earl_sleek on June 20, 2020, 01:46:02 PM
After 1 listen that sounds a bit more classic Ozrics than the recent few albums - less of an influence from non-western music. It's definitely not gonna make anyone who thinks all their music sounds the same change their mind though! But to me they're like the Fall - always the same but always different.

I hope they'll be touring once the lockdown is lifted, I guess 2021 is more likely now. Only saw them once, and it was great, but I was tripping my tits off and can't remember much, it'd be good to see them a bit more sober.

To me that seems a very odd thing to say, like he hasn't actually listened to them in any depth, because one of the things I enjoy about the Ozrics is the sense of journey and motion in their songs (and I like tonnes of repetitive music). I like a lot of Wilson's music but he is a dick.

I love it on here when a comment from nearly seven years ago finally gets a response.

BlodwynPig

I forgot which poster mentioned maybe seeing them at The Cluny in Newcastle, well the tour has been rescheduled and they will play in May. Happy to meet up if a) I'm still in Newcastle, b) < 1 % risk of covid.

Also Gong are playing The Cluny in November.

holyzombiejesus

They're playing Todmorden! Living the dream...

The Mollusk

Old threads like this remind me why I really love this subforum. Loads of thoroughly warm and engaging chat, lovely stuff from Blods. Despite knowing next to nowt about the band I am nonetheless very drawn to how it's been discussed here. I had a similar experience yesterday reading your opening post in the Bergerac thread which I thought was excellent. Thank you for that. And seeing a post from Don_Preston in here got me a little bit choked as well.

Funnily enough, I went to the aforementioned 30th anniversary London gig. My then-girlfriend and I found ourselves at a loose end one evening and decided to jump on this at the last minute. Things I remember despite being very stoned:

Everyone there was at least 10 years older than me and had the "hippie smell".

The band were extremely tight and the sound was excellent, almost to the point of sounding like pre-recorded material. Thoroughly impressive.

The visuals were insane and hilariously corny. The most mental "trippy" 3D digitally rendered aliens and weed leaves and fractals. I actually found it quite distracting and it restricted my immersion in the gig because I was laughing so much. At one point, there was a fucking massive spinning image of a cartoon Ganesh stood at some turntables waving a record in the air. I am lying in bed chuckling uncontrollably right now just thinking about that. Amazing.

BlodwynPig

I too enjoy your music posts Nags, really thoughtful stuff often on artists I don't listen to (although a lot I do).

My first Ozric gig was 1992 at Newcastle University and they had the visuals then, but it was rather a novel thing (although of course the Floyd and Grateful Dead had been doing it for 30 years prior). Around 2002, there were rumours of discord in the band, with I think Brandi appearing on the scene and taking a sort of Yoko role with Ed as John. There was some distasteful stuff on the forums regarding cocaine usage that made previously chilled members turn into monsters and Jon Egan quit. For a time, and only that time, I was disillusioned with the band. While I soak in the 80s tape years sound of the UK underground scene, there really hasn't been an album that dips below a 9/10, but the last one Technicians of the Sacred has not been played more than a handful of times. Some of the magic was lost forever once the dynamics changed. (Brandi is an excellent bassist by the way, and live she was astounding - sadly they are divorced or separated now).

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 22, 2020, 10:22:07 AM
There was some distasteful stuff on the forums regarding cocaine usage that made previously chilled members turn into monsters and Jon Egan quit

Without sounding like a psychedelic Heat magazine reader, can you elaborate on this? I've searched the Ozirc's message board over the years but cannot see any reference to any of this?

Annie Labuntur

His and Brandi's house in Colorado was destroyed by wildfire in 2012 while they were touring. A few years later floods in England destroyed most, if not all, of their equipment and some of his father's artwork. Nothing about the latter on Wiki but I seem to recall they were not insured and fans were asked to fund them. Add the split with Brandi and his rumoured health problems to that, not great for creativity.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Annie Labuntur on August 22, 2020, 03:28:26 PM
His and Brandi's house in Colorado was destroyed by wildfire in 2012 while they were touring. A few years later floods in England destroyed most, if not all, of their equipment and some of his father's artwork. Nothing about the latter on Wiki but I seem to recall they were not insured and fans were asked to fund them. Add the split with Brandi and his rumoured health problems to that, not great for creativity.

However, given his solo album and now this (plus some guest appearances) he keeps on going on.

That fucking fire destroyed loads of unreleased material that I'd been banging on about getting released... I've got about 12 cassettes of stuff from Bolshem people (Martin Clunes on tablas) to the late 80s, but even if the rest was just noodling I was desperate to hear it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Special K on August 22, 2020, 02:18:43 PM
Without sounding like a psychedelic Heat magazine reader, can you elaborate on this? I've searched the Ozirc's message board over the years but cannot see any reference to any of this?

Oh, I'm not sure exactly. The forum in those days was a bit like here, with some "insiders" and some "outsiders". There were two factors that I recall - Brandi taking over the band, Ed kind of submitting to her will, and the cocaine rumours causing aggressive personalities - not sure who were rumoured to be gakking it, but it caused a rift. That has now healed and the last 10 years were pretty stable despite having to deal with God's wrath on multiple occasions.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Boring, stupid hippie music for idiots.

I don't actually think that, Blod, I just wanted to give you a taste of your own Beatle-bashing medicine. Barging into a music thread I don't care about. Making the same old reductive boring points. You must feel terribly chastised.

I saw Gong in concert a couple of years ago, though, and they were mint, skill and ace.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 23, 2020, 10:34:12 PM
Boring, stupid hippie music for idiots.

I don't actually think that, Blod, I just wanted to give you a taste of your own Beatle-bashing medicine. Barging into a music thread I don't care about. Making the same old reductive boring points. You must feel terribly chastised.

I saw Gong in concert a couple of years ago, though, and they were mint, skill and ace.

*shrugs* If you thought that it would be open to debate. Why is my point that the Beatles are not that great boring and reductive? I just don't understand why your holy cows are more sacred than mine. I've made plenty of sensible posts as to why I don't like them. Stop being snippy.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 23, 2020, 10:48:19 PM
*shrugs* If you thought that it would be open to debate. Why is my point that the Beatles are not that great boring and reductive? I just don't understand why your holy cows are more sacred than mine. I've made plenty of sensible posts as to why I don't like them. Stop being snippy.

For fuck's sake, it was a joke. Affectionate, even. Read it back, I'm poking fun at you and me. It's hardly subtle.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 23, 2020, 11:02:59 PM
For fuck's sake, it was a joke. Affectionate, even. Read it back, I'm poking fun at you and me. It's hardly subtle.

I took it as an affectionate joke. Sorry, I was just playing the response as I imagined it would be expected ;0)

Join me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skcuqozYv1Y

No Beatles, No Ozrics SHOCKER

Quote from: Ed WynneWere you encouraged musically from an early age?

"I grew up thinking that being a musician was a completely okay thing to do. My dad was commissioned to [bronze cast] the heads of The Beatles at the height of Beatlemania and, consequently, he became very good friends with them, especially George Harrison and Ringo.

"George used to come around to our house for dinner and sit there playing guitar. And the house next door was rented by Donovan. That's where I used to go after school, because it was more fun than what was happening in my house, generally. I mean that was fun, too, but Donovan had guitars and strange flavors of smoke in the room. It was all fascinating.

When I grew up, I thought, 'I want to be one of those people. They're having fun. I'm going to do that'

Good lord!

We are as one, Blodders. Beautiful.

New album has been released. On first listen, it's not bad. Here's Stripey Clouds - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EJRPrzfNcU

After 1994's Arborescence, they lost a bit of the spark for me. Whether it was Joie and Merv leaving I don't know but the sound is not the same. I've given each release a listen but apart from 2007's live album Sunrise, nothing really stands out. Jurassic Shift and Arborescence are faultless.

BlodwynPig

I got the vinyl just today (no house, so will have to be digital listen). I agree with your last statement, and see where you are coming from post-Arborescence. Become the Other was the only big disappointment (but got over that). But The Hidden Step and Waterfall Cities are immense even for those steeped in the aura of the Windmill and Henge years.

Anyway, will give this a listen tomorrow (I'm super-saturated in music at the moment and getting the new Ozrics is no longer a ritual sadly - modern world, eh!).

NP. Code - Parsifal (The Grand Architect Mix) <--- check that out