Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:53:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Router palaver! (ie, shit router problems)

Started by hedgehog90, June 05, 2013, 11:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgehog90

I've had this router for a year and a half now, but in the last 6 months it's started disconnecting from the internet 5-10 times a day, and the little indicator flashes red for a couple minutes while it reconnects.
When this happens, I can still access the home network wirelessly/wired, it's just internet access that fucks off.

Here's what I realised though. It only disconnects when:
a) Someone walks near the router (the router sits on the floor in a corridor)
b) On the odd occasion it happens when the home-phone rings. This might be coincidental though or an entirely separate problem to the one above.

I've tried changing the cables from the telephone wall socket to the router, and it didn't help.
Maybe it's the socket of the router that's messed up, but it's not like people kick it when they walk past it. The wires don't move in the slightest, except for the vibration caused by stepping near it.

I've tried to recreate the problem by wiggling around the telephone wire and banging the floor with my hands but it does nothing. It only happens when someone casually strolls past it.

If there's a single piece of hardware that has given me more bollocks in my short lifetime, it's a fucking router. They're bastards to diagnose and you get the worst advice from people.

"Have you made sure your ethernet cable is straightened?"

I cannot tell you how withering I find that response to any technical question, "try straightening the wires". I want to shout back in their stupid faces "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING!?"
Has the wire straightening 'trick' ever worked for anyone ever?

Anyway... I'd like some help with my minor problem, and maybe just for fun we can have a discussion on what you do when you have connectivity problems with your router. For instance, 2 routers ago (about 5 years ago) after many hours of tinkering around with a faulty router, I somehow fixed it after dropping it onto a hard floor in frustration. These devices truly don't make any sense.

SetToStun

Quote from: hedgehog90 on June 05, 2013, 11:29:05 AM"Have you made sure your ethernet cable is straightened?"

I cannot tell you how withering I find that response to any technical question, "try straightening the wires". I want to shout back in their stupid faces "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING!?"
Has the wire straightening 'trick' ever worked for anyone ever?

Straightening the wire might actually work: binary is all 1s and 0s, as you know; the 0s are nice and round and can get round bends in the cable quite easily, but the 1s are all spikey and get caught, eventually blocking the cable and downing the connection.

Back on topic, I have a similar problem with a BT Home Hub 2.0 - I think I'm just going to shell out for a normal router to see if it's this Home Hub bollocks that causes the connection to drop every time I try to do anything more exciting than check my e-mail. Have you tried borrowing a router from a chum and seeing if that works any better?

mcbpete

Quote from: jonbob on June 05, 2013, 11:53:22 AM
Try replacing the adsl splitter
Yep, definitely try that. Also how is the phone line - is it quite crackly ? If so the noise level might be too high for a stable signal

Steven

Fairly prosaic advice, but I've had similar problems in the past and think it was caused by inference from the phone. Try plugging the router into a filter going into your main socket, then plug the phone into another filter and plug that into the filter in the main socket. Therefore the phone is being filtered twice.

Also, if there are any other things plugged into other phone sockets in the house make sure they are also using filters.

WesterlyWinds