Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:25:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The audacity of hype - when the music industry failed

Started by Pepotamo1985, June 05, 2013, 09:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

23 Daves

Quote from: Goldentony on June 06, 2013, 03:01:41 PM
Tell you who was best out of all those Busted-lite bands who got shat out by labels around the time Busted got huge/split up and McFly turned up - Love Bites. They had this one single -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW6BYHiQHko

About beating the fuck out of people who've broke your heart. Forget sleeping with the light on and rooms on the third floor and whatever the fuck else everyone was trying to shovel - just beat the tar out of them and vandalise their shit. Brilliant. Definitely less contrived than The Faders, better songs and seemed SOMEWHAT like a real band, but I don't really know any details about them because as far as I remember they just sort of stopped after this, I think.

According to Wikipedia, three singles then career death, it seems ("He's Fit" was the brilliant title of one of the others).  And also:

QuoteShortly after the band went on a tour to schools in the UK, including a sell-out performance at Norton Knatchbull Language College in Ashford.

Christ, the noughties were like the sixties all over again, in that if your third single didn't perform that well you could forget all about the label releasing that album, matey. There must be a lot of - erm - interesting material left lying around in last decade's can. 

As for Leilani, she's quite remarkably awful. What were ZTT thinking?! "Flying Elvis" was her last hurrah, it reached number 73 in the charts in 2000.  http://youtu.be/blv5ZV6o2tk 

She really has fallen completely off the radar, though. Her Wikipedia entry just blandly states that she was a pop singer from Hertfordshire, and there's very little other information available at all.

And thinking much more recently (and at the risk of being accused of sexism by listing so many ladies) Daisy Dares You is a very recent bafflement.  Nominated in the BBC "Sound of 2010" poll, then one minor hit single, one flop... then absolutely nothing at all. According to Wikipedia again:

Quotes of September 2012, the album has still not been released. As it has now been over a year since the original release date, it's quite likely that the album has been dropped.
As of 2012, Daisy's website is still deleted and her Twitter feed has been inactive for a vast period of time. Due to unknown reasons that the public have never been addressed of she has most likely either been dropped from her record label or decided to quit the music industry all together.

Seems so bizarre that an acclaimed and feted artist could just rise and fall so swiftly.  That said, she was only ever mediocre at best.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Does anyone remember Charlie Angels? (the group, not the tv show)

Don_Preston

Quote from: 23 Daves on June 06, 2013, 10:34:13 PM

And thinking much more recently (and at the risk of being accused of sexism by listing so many ladies) Daisy Dares You is a very recent bafflement.  Nominated in the BBC "Sound of 2010" poll, then one minor hit single, one flop... then absolutely nothing at all. According to Wikipedia again:

A name I vaguely remember. And not the one from Zzzap! I seem to recall she was part of that movement with the Dolly Rockers, in that they couldn't really sing so just brashly talked over a sampled melody.

Edit: Seems I was wrong. Auto-tuned pop

PaulTMA

All I remember is that the zz zap! Daisy Dares You looked a but like Kim Deal.  This may have been wrong, though.

Don_Preston

No wonder Black Francis hated her, wot with all those buckets of gunge.

Tairy_Green

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Gay Dad - although they do have the distinction of following their initial hype with one great album.

The Plunger

Did they have a second album after that piss-poor debut album then ?

Tairy_Green

I thought it was pretty OK - perhaps (conversely) I have a slightly rose-tinted view of it due to the backlash that followed. Anti hype hype?

doppelkorn

Does anyone remember The Others? They were riding high on a post-Strokes-post-Libertines mid-noughties indie wave and not one fucker managed to notice they were absolute shite, and seemingly a right bunch of dicks at the same time.

Led by one preening twat called Dominic Masters, they only seemed to appeal to idiots[nb]Their fan club was called the '853 Kamikaze Stage Diving Division'[/nb] their debut album was panned and they faded to obscurity. This didn;t stop some weirdo updating their Wikipedia page with a load of thinly veiled puff about how they're still amazing though.

This band was the moment for me, aged 19 or so, where I stopped liking new music. Thanks Dominic.

They are still going apparently. Noticed them low on the bill for a small stage at Glastonbury.

A far cry from 2005 when the festival put them on a stage they named after them.

bigfatheart

I remember reading an article in the Guardian years back about Never Mind the Buzzcocks in which Phill Jupitus said the lead singer of the Others was the worst guest they'd ever had, so they've got that going for them, I suppose.

Spiteface

Mark Lamarr berating him was fantastic though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5ciGksRcQA

Makes me wonder what he'd have been like around the likes of Dappy.

Tairy_Green

The Others may not have been the worst of the post-Libertines bandwagoneers, but were up there.

I remember their 'breakthrough' single - This Is For The Poor, "and not you rich kids!" as the lyrics insisted, which, were it anything like The Libertines records, would pretty much have been exclusively bought by students and NME readers.[nb]Except Wikipedia tells me that it "narrowly missed" the top 40, so it doesn't even look like they bought it.[/nb]

Subtle Mocking

Oh so many semi-forgotten, once-loved landfill-indie darlings from NME circa 2004-2008. The Twang, The Enemy, The Paddingtons, The View, The Fratellis, The Futureheads, Razorlight, The Zutons, The Kooks, Pete and the Pirates, Hot Hot Heat, The Rakes, Mystery Jets, The Pigeon Detectives, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, The Maccabees, Black Kids, Good Shoes...

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on June 09, 2013, 09:55:27 PM
The Fratellis
The only thing I remember about them is the redhead from their video -

&http://youtu.be/sEXHeTcxQy4?t=51s

who I rather liked. If only she'd gone on to better things, and the Fratellis career...well, did exactly what it did.

23 Daves

Oh so many semi-forgotten, once-loved landfill-indie darlings from NME circa 2004-2008. The Twang, The Enemy, The Paddingtons, The View, The Fratellis, The Futureheads, Razorlight, The Zutons, The Kooks, Pete and the Pirates, Hot Hot Heat, The Rakes, Mystery Jets, The Pigeon Detectives, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, The Maccabees, Black Kids, Good Shoes...

The Futureheads and Pete and the Pirates were quite good, I thought. I could take or leave (or actively despise) most of the rest.

And you missed The Automatic. I realised that indie had reached its commercial peak when I was in a horrible pub near Liverpool Street filled with suited financial workers screeching "What's that coming over the hill? IS IT A MONSTAHHHHH!!!!" to themselves in a very pleased, drunken way. Not that there's anything wrong with wealthy city boys getting into indie - it's music, not a bloody cult exclusively designed for middle-class students - but such occurrences usually indicate the start of its decline. It can only usually sit in the mainstream for about nine months before everyone gets sick of it.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: 23 Daves on June 10, 2013, 08:38:43 AM
And you missed The Automatic.

Oh christ, yes. Also I missed The Wombats. "Let's dance to Joy Division and celebrate the irony." Cunts.

The Roofdog

Quote from: 23 Daves on June 06, 2013, 10:34:13 PM
And thinking much more recently (and at the risk of being accused of sexism by listing so many ladies) Daisy Dares You is a very recent bafflement.  Nominated in the BBC "Sound of 2010" poll, then one minor hit single, one flop... then absolutely nothing at all.

The BBC "Sound of..." poll would surely be a rich vein to mine for this thread.

I'm another one who quite liked Pete & the Pirates, though not that much obviously as I've only just realised they've split up. The Futureheads were diabolical though. Barbershop reggae, who the fuck ordered that? That Kate Bush cover was actively offensive.

To be fair, they badly needed to back some commercial successes for the future of their magazine at that time, after spending the late nineties/very early 2000s heavily hyping some bands which proved to be spectacularly unpopular with the public - Campag Velocet, Lo-Fidelity Allstars, Regular Fries, Terris...

The Roofdog

I think half of those bands Subtle Mocking listed did the job in the eyes of their record company didn't they? The Twang, The View, The Fratellis, The Zutons, Razorlight especially, all shifted enough units.

23 Daves

Quote from: The Roofdog on June 10, 2013, 10:31:03 AM
The BBC "Sound of..." poll would surely be a rich vein to mine for this thread.

I'm another one who quite liked Pete & the Pirates, though not that much obviously as I've only just realised they've split up. The Futureheads were diabolical though. Barbershop reggae, who the fuck ordered that? That Kate Bush cover was actively offensive.

I think The Futureheads, like They Might Be Giants or Bis, are a band whose quirkiness could aggravate as many people as it appeals to.  Personally, I found them enjoyable in a "would listen to them on Spotify but can't be bothered to buy their albums" kind of way.

I spent most of 2004 living in Australia, and that made following the UK music scene really strange. In the eyes of the Australian music press (such as it is) any UK band touring down under was automatically "important" and guaranteed a disproportionate amount of column inches and hype.  Hence I managed to get the bogus impression that Dogs Die In Hot Cars and Pink Grease were a big deal and about to seriously break through in my home country, whilst thinking that Goldie Lookin Chain were some joke band who only ever managed to sell a few hundred copies of anything.  Nobody really gave much of a shit about The Libertines down under either, let alone any of the other bands and copyists in their clan. 

Wet Blanket

The Automatic's USP was one of them would shout over the song wasn't it? That was never gonna last. They played at an end of year ball when I was at university, but made the mistake of opening with Monster, their one and only recognisable tune, so by the end of the set half the crowd had drifted away.

I really liked an early Noughties band called Dogs. They had one major label album but struggled to make an impact, and a couple of years later I saw them playing a bar in Hull to about 12 punters. After the gig they mingled with us, and all seemed really sad by what had(n't) become of them. The guitarist said something like 'it's a bit of a slog to be honest, but wahey I'm a rock star' in a voice just like that of Eeyore off Winnie the Pooh. 

Don_Preston

Were the Young Knives ever hyped during the landfill indie era? I saw them on 'Later...' and thought they were interesting. Then nothing ever came of them. Browsing on Youtube, they remind me of a three piece Cardiacs.

Blinder Data

CYHSY's first album's fucking great! But yes to the rest of them. I spent many sunny days in front of MTV2 as a pimply adolescent enjoying all of those top bands. The Vines should definitely go in that group after being touted as the new Nirvana.

Who remembers The Datsuns? Though they're Kiwi and it's possible they retain some small audience in NZ.

boki

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 10, 2013, 07:05:26 AM
The only thing I remember about them is the redhead from their video -

&http://youtu.be/sEXHeTcxQy4?t=51s

who I rather liked. If only she'd gone on to better things, and the Fratellis career...well, did exactly what it did.

It's definitely not her now that I've actually looked at the video, but in that still she looks a tiny bit like the the lead singer from The Smears[nb]who, I ought to mention, rock[/nb].

I would also dispute Futureheads being considered landfill indie, even though I've not quite been arsed enough to acquire any of their records.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Blinder Data on June 10, 2013, 12:15:48 PM
Who remembers The Datsuns? Though they're Kiwi and it's possible they retain some small audience in NZ.

Their debut album has been in my local charity shop for months. I was going to pick it up out of curiosity, but decided it probably wasn't worth the 50p.

George Oscar Bluth II

The Futureheads were far more interesting than the rest of the bands mentioned there. And a few of them were pretty successful. The Fratellis' 'Chelsea Dagger' is played at every sporting event ever, for instance. Razorlight were huge. Sadly. And The Zutons wrote 'Valerie', so must have made a few quid.

'The View' were dreadful though. Uninspired plodding shite. They had a song in which the singer boasted about having "the same jeans on for four days now".

Four days! In the same jeans? Better write a fucking song about it then!

As for hype, has anyone ever failed to live up to the hype as much as this man:

Were they being ironic? (Although I do quite like 'Party Hard', it was never going to go mainstream was it, NME?)

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on June 10, 2013, 01:04:32 PM
Were they being ironic? (Although I do quite like 'Party Hard', it was never going to go mainstream was it, NME?)

I remember them describing him as like 'Meatloaf on Nazi crack'. Stupid NME. I Get Wet is a good laugh, but not something I'd break out very often.

23 Daves

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on June 10, 2013, 12:47:51 PM
Their debut album has been in my local charity shop for months. I was going to pick it up out of curiosity, but decided it probably wasn't worth the 50p.

The Datsuns are like Gay Dad in more ways than one - I also paid to see both those bands live in the belief that their hype had to add up to something, only to be bitterly disappointed.  In Gay Dad's case, I was actually on the dole and short of money and still paid money for a ticket, only to stand around with a lot of other bemused audience members who were also clearly wondering why they were there.  I stuck it out to the bitter end determined to get my money's worth, even though I'd have felt better if I'd left early.

By the time I saw The Datsuns I was older, wiser, richer and much more jaded, and I left after about five songs along with my friends who were equally unimpressed.  Two of us gave the finger to the band as we left not really expecting to be seen, and of course the guitarist clocked us immediately and looked surprised and genuinely hurt before swiftly putting his head back down again to focus on the rather average matter in hand.  It does feel like a bit of an over-reaction on our part these days - the last time I listened to them they sounded like a rather run-of-the-mill rock band who probably would have had some minor success anyway, it's just that at the time we were all assured that they were one of the best live bands you'd ever watch in your lifetime (see also: The Vines).

At least these days you can thoroughly investigate acts on YouTube or Spotify before deciding if you want to risk parting with your money to see them play. 

Famous Mortimer

Andrew WK seems to be doing alright for himself, for the former drummer of a noise-rock band, he's over-performed if anything. His performance at the Gathering of the Juggalos is a superb instance of trolling an entire field full of people.

Although, admittedly, he's not been lighting up the charts recently.