Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:38:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Giving back... s a d o w i t z - gobshite mp3

Started by Jarmo, July 23, 2004, 09:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarmo

Been helping my Dad clear out his loft today and came across a cassette a mate did for me back in '87 of Jerry S a d o witz's very limited-edition and long-deleted "Gobshite" LP, which was a recording of his 1986 debut Edinburgh Fringe gig. Unfortunately, the last few seconds are missing due to the old (gone but not forgotten) album-not-quite-fitting-on-one-side-of-a-C90 problem.

However, the sound quality's not too bad, and - since Google throws up nothing for it and I've never seen it on any of the p2p networks - I've ripped it for the delectation of you 'whores. It's 46 minutes of Jerry at his bile-spewing best - with all the slanderous gags (that got cut out of the similar set on his subsequent Virgin-released video) still intact.

It's 25Mb (but well worth it) and can be right-click downloaded here - [edit 26/7: sorry, now removed due to bandwidth restrictions] - for a very limited time only, (but P2Pers please put it in your shared folders, and if anyone else wants to host it please feel free).

For those who are interested, my own comedy MP3s, cutups, irreverent odes and cartoons (including new "Evil Elf", which is very, very sick indeed) continue to be available at http://www.headpaste.com.

Chiz chiz,
Jarmo.

Pinball

Peking O

Thanks for that. Just tried to listen to it but it gave me a headache! Will return to it later. Thoughts so far: His coke habit must've been monstrous.

weekender

Jarmo, that's great, thanks!

Quote from: "Jarmo"for a very limited time only, (but P2Pers please put it in your shared folders, and if anyone else wants to host it please feel free).

Ok, have done, alternate URL is here:

http://week.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/gobshite.mp3

alan strang

Beaten to it! I was going to offer my own encode of this.

Tell me at which point it cuts off and I'll fill in the blank.

RHX

Many many thanks, I've been looking for Sadowitz stuff for a long time, thanks for this :)

Jarmo

Glad to be of service.  I've downloaded loads of fantastic stuff from here over the years thanks to Neil's and other 'whores splendid archival efforts, so it was about time...

Thanks AS,

it cuts off after the line, "You'll call me John, you fucking hippie!" in the Christ routine. But if you've got an original to encode, great - mine's a second or third-hand cassette copy which, while perfectly listenable to my unfussy ears, no doubt grates with some of the hi-fidelity audiophiles round these parts...

J.

A Passing Turk Slipper

That's brilliant, thanks. "I look at Denis Thatcher and think somebody's forgotten to add water". A laugh every few seconds, I can't wait untill I see him which I should be doing quite soon.

Rats

Thankyou so much, Scoffed it down like a bag of sweets, I was going to just listen to 15 minutes and then watch twin peaks but I had to sit right through it. I'd shove it on my webspace but our very own rosey cheeked angel has already obliged, good man.

Bert Thung

That album has special memories for me, as I was at that show.  

Well, not that specific performance, but the same "Total Abuse" show at the Assembly Rooms in Edinburgh, a week later on the last night of Fringe 87.

Good news, I managed to sneak in a tape recorder, and have a bootlegged c90 cassette of the entire performance (save a few seconds for me to sneak into my holdall and change the tape over at the 45 minute mark). Once I get the right equipment, I'll bung it up either here or soulseek.

alan strang

"You see, what Norman Tebbit means when he says he loves The Iron Lady... is that he FUCKS HIS WIFE'S WHEELCHAIR! I'll just repeat that..."

The LP captures a more frenetic performance than the video version. Often wondered why that is.

There's only two and a half minutes missing from the end of that capture by the way, most of which involves Sadowitz performing the punchline to a magic trick set up earlier in the show. Most of this takes place away from the mic (and is a little incomprehensible on my old encode - maybe I'll try and capture it again at some point). I'll upload the missing bit somewhere in a bit anyway.

Jarmo

Thanks AS and BT. Yeah, I saw "Total Abuse" in London and also saw Jerry at  the Comedy Store two or three times around 87/88 (though not on the night when one of the punters famously punched him out!)  Also remember seeing a solo show of his around 1990 at the Raymond Revuebar in Soho, where his encore involved squirting 'spunk' over the audience from a huge prosthetic phallus (around 8 feet long) . ISTR the show wasn't as good as "Total Abuse", but don't suppose anyone has a capture of that?

BTW, I'm probably going to have to take down the "Gobshite" MP3 after today as  I've nearly reached my ISP's monthly bandwidth limit. It wIll remain in my shared folder on Soulseek, though, and presumably weekender's alternative URL will still be working for a while. I can always stick it back up in a few weeks if needed in case anyone misses it.

Jarmo.

The Plaque Goblin

Quote from: "Jarmo"...It's 46 minutes of Jerry at his bile-spewing best - with all the slanderous gags (that got cut out of the similar set on his subsequent Virgin-released video) still intact.

It's 25Mb (but well worth it) and can be right-click downloaded here - http://www.headpaste.com/gobshite.mp3 - for a very limited time only...
Hold on there, I downloaded this last night and it's only 26:49 and 15.5Mb.

Is this the result of some technical thing? Thanks anyway.

Jarmo

Sounds like your download got interrupted. The whole file is definitely up there.

J.