Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:25:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Please recommend films by directors under 40

Started by Urinal Cake, June 12, 2013, 10:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urinal Cake

For whatever reason I think film really has 'dumbed down' since  the 1990s and would like to be proved wrong.

Paaaaul

Primer. If you can understand it on your first viewing, you're a fackin' genius.

holyzombiejesus

Do you mean people like Richard Linklater and Greg Araki?

Urinal Cake

I have never heard of them but they're a bit older than I expected. Okay less than 40.

Noodle Lizard

holyzombiejesus

Ben Wheately has only just turned 41 so he might count? I'm trying to think of decent debut films as they probbly have younger directors. Skeletons' director Nick Whitfireld might fit the bill but he's only directed on film and I don't know how old he is!

Lynne Ramsay's only 43 and Christopher Smith's 42.

phantom_power

PT Anderson is only 42 so made most of his films so far in his 20s/30s

holyzombiejesus

Subtle Mocking

If you're okay with subtitles, the excellent No was directed by 36-year-old Pablo Larraín.

I think that's a really close-minded mentality to have. Are you talking more about mainstream cinema?
There's a lot of good stuff by younger directors but it's harder to find, as the industry tends to work by making people put in their dues and have them make a few films that run the festival circuit but often don't get picked up for distribution, as it's not hugely marketable. Generally, you need to make a couple films/awards before actually having a big funding body trust you and support you in producing a larger scale film that'll be seen around the world. And it takes a lot of time to get to that stage, so people do end up making these great films towards middle-age.

And on top of that, it's an industry that runs on chasing profits, and films that get made have huge monstrous budgets thrown at them because that's what the people want, and they've been proven to turn a profit. So films are very safe in cinemas, so maybe that's why this feeling's stems from.

Justin Kurzel's (of Snowtown and Blue Tongue) is a brilliant director below 40.
Asghar Farhadi made a Seperation before turning 40, and he's made a number of films before that.
As pointed out, Ben Wheatley's made all his films pre-40's except for a Field in England, and Richard Ayoade made Submarine.
Darren Aronofsky made his brilliant debut Pi in his 20's and has continued to make great films over the years.
I get the feeling he's not hugely popular on here but Edgar Wright is an incredibly solid filmmaker who's been making excellent stuff under 40.
Duncan Jones made Moon pre-40's.
Benh Zeitlin made the critically acclaimed Beasts of the Southern Wild and he's only 30.

There's great stuff out there by younger directors, but it's a tough game to get into when you're younger and seemingly less-experienced. But there's great stuff out there if you look around for it.

vrailaine

anything like this is total balls, I hope I don't start thinking nonsense like this about films and music and whatever when I get older

acrow

zal batmanglij, as well is having the word 'batman' in his name, is 40 years old. he directed and co-wrote sound of my voice which i enjoyed. his co-writer on that film, brit marling, is 31. she co-directed a pretty decent documentary called boxers and ballerinas with mike cahill who is 34. cahill also directed marling in a film they wrote together, another earth.

i think marling could go on to make some really great stuff. batmanglij has a new film out (again co-written with marling) called the east. i'm looking forward to checking it out.

ti west is is 33. i think he's made some pretty good horror movies. i'll definitely watch anything he comes out with.

zomgmouse

Spike Jonze was <40 when he made all of his three films (his fourth's coming out now). Michel Gondry is 50.

Don't worry. If everyone "good" is hitting or has hit middle age, we should get a new batch pretty soon.

Deanjam

District 9 is a favourite of mine. Neil Blomkamp is only 33.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Bored of Canada on June 12, 2013, 12:02:28 PM
I think that's a really close-minded mentality to have. Are you talking more about mainstream cinema?

And on top of that, it's an industry that runs on chasing profits, and films that get made have huge monstrous budgets thrown at them because that's what the people want, and they've been proven to turn a profit. So films are very safe in cinemas, so maybe that's why this feeling's stems from.
More arthouse/independent but even something like 'Drive' (which I found really overrated).

Yes I was pointing to these set of circumstances. I know in China they have a more resilient domestic scene (not without it's own problems) but even then Hollywood has made in roads there.

Also I was reminded the Welles made Citizen Kane when he was 24, Fellini was 34 when he made La Strada and there are probably a few more films I could wikipedia up.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 12, 2013, 11:22:09 AM
Did anyone see 'Kaboom!'?  What a piece of shit that was.

I loved Kaboom!, it's ridiculous and pretentious but also an awful lot of fun if not taken too seriously. But then I'm a fan of Araki in general, and he hasn't made a film I don't like a lot so far.

Mike White's only 42, I know he's written some mainstream stuff that isn't that exciting, but Chuck and Buck and Enlightened are pretty damn amazing and I can't wait to see what he produces next.

Queneau

acrow

jeff nichols done shotgun stories and take shelter. i liked both of those. haven't seen his new film mud but i wanna.

he's 35.

Old Thrashbarg

Wes Anderson's only 44, so watching everything he's done up to and including Fantastic Mr. Fox takes in all of his <=40 oeuvre. Then watch Moonrise Kingdom too because it's also brilliant.