Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:46:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Kimble Justice - Youtube retro game reviewer

Started by babyshambler, June 12, 2013, 05:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babyshambler

Has anyone ever watched this lads videos? They're really bloody good. Tons of research and love clearly goes into everyone and the narration is informative and often very funny. The editing is great an'all. His Sensible Soccer review had to stretch to four videos as it included so much of the history and influence of the game.

I recommend the following to start with:

Road Rash! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbw1xB2uqAs

Weird Basketball games: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJSmXAm72zI

Sensible soccer #1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f9RNup5rEs

pillockandtwat

This guy deserves an OBE for reminding me about Shadow of the Beast 1. God, 1989. Come back.

Wants to work on his diction and speaking pace a bit though. You can train that. Is it unfair to bring that up? Anyway, fucking first class. Medal.

PS He's also a fucking genius. He's like the Nicklaus Pevsner, the Brian Sewell, of the Sega Megadrive.

Replies From View

MojoJojo

David Schneider to my ears. I'll need to watch these properly at home.

Obel

Couldn't bear it. His slow pace and over pronunciation of words really irritated me. Also I just found him really boring!

Though I won't doubt he has passion and definitely knows his stuff. Just not for me.

Detective John Kimble

Well, this is a pleasant surprise!  I wonder what the people of CaB think about my vids then...

Quote from: ObelCouldn't bear it. His slow pace and over pronunciation of words really irritated me. Also I just found him really boring!

*runs off in floods of tears*

babyshambler

Wait, that's actually Kimble?

Prove it. Do a review of Mega Games 2 in only your pants.

Replies From View

I'm glad I didn't make the observation that the Mega Drive font makes "Kimble" look like "Wimble".

Detective John Kimble

Quote from: babyshambler on June 13, 2013, 07:25:24 PM
Wait, that's actually Kimble?

Prove it. Do a review of Mega Games 2 in only your pants.

Yes, it is indeed me.  I'm glad I can now describe myself as "the Brian Sewell of the Megadrive" :)

That one bit in the Basketball games vid is all Youtube's ever getting though.  Sorry!

And yeah, I'm always trying to improve my diction.  The woah-matism doesn't help matters much...

Replies From View

Cold Meat Platter

From what i saw before my internet crapped out it was more informative, funnier and less po-faced  than most of youtube's retro game stuff.
Fuck i'll bet Ashen is on here as well. Hello! I liked it when you reviewed that thing that was rubbish.

thugler

These are great. I love Skitchin is probably my favourite mega drive game, so nice to see that getting a mention.

lazyhour

Watched a few of these in bed last night, and thought they were really excellent. They flow well, they're full of information, they're passionate and entertaining. Well done!

My biggest piece of advice would be: don't be afraid of speaking more in your natural voice. You generally adopt a 'presenter' voice, enunciating every T, but just sometimes a more natural, rough voice pops out of your gob and I instantly think 'Oh, I wish he spoke like that for the whole video!'. If you listen to professionals on TV and radio, no matter what their accent or how 'posh' they are, they all blend their words together. Even the plummiest nob doesn't say, for example, "West Street". They say "Wessstreet".

All in all, keep up the good work.

I enjoyed the Sensi one. Brought back memories but more importantly, reminded me that it's a genuinely brilliant game which stood apart from its contemporaries for numerous reasons, not just nostalgia.

mcbpete

Ooh it's like an English version of Lazy Game Reviews  (For those who've never seen them: http://www.youtube.com/show/lgr ). Subscribed.

Small Man Big Horse

Ha, I love the way this thread turned out, with the creator turning out to be 'one of us'. I've only watched the first Sensible Soccer video so far but really loved it, your knowledge about and passion for the Amiga is beautiful to witness, and you are indeed correct about just how good it was / is.

Detective John Kimble

Yeah, I find myself driven more and more towards the Amiga/British computer stuff in general these days, although Mega Drive is usually my bread and butter.  Mind you I pretty much cover anything that I feel like regardless of system (some of which I can capture on the real thing, some not...least not yet).  Generally I like to do stuff that's not super well-known amongst the denizens of Youtube, or tends to get the shitty end of the stick. 

The Sensi vids were a crazy undertaking.  It's close to a year since those and I've barely been able to play Sensi since.  I tend to bite off more than I can chew a lot of the time...whenever I think that I'll just relax, maybe even just do some gameplay vids or something for a spell as opposed to full-on reviews, that's normally the cue for me to think up another big retrospective or top 10 or whatever that requires a ridiculous amount of footage.

Quote from: mcbpeteOoh it's like an English version of Lazy Game Reviews  (For those who've never seen them: http://www.youtube.com/show/lgr ). Subscribed.

Thanks!  The comparison warms my heart - I think LGR's one of the best YT reviewers around.

Quote from: lazyhourWatched a few of these in bed last night, and thought they were really excellent. They flow well, they're full of information, they're passionate and entertaining. Well done!

My biggest piece of advice would be: don't be afraid of speaking more in your natural voice. You generally adopt a 'presenter' voice, enunciating every T, but just sometimes a more natural, rough voice pops out of your gob and I instantly think 'Oh, I wish he spoke like that for the whole video!'. If you listen to professionals on TV and radio, no matter what their accent or how 'posh' they are, they all blend their words together. Even the plummiest nob doesn't say, for example, "West Street". They say "Wessstreet".

Aye, this is good advice.  I do enunciate a lot, mainly because I'm always watching my R's and what have you.  I probably confuse enunciation for expression a bit too much...I'm scripted of course, and I generally don't think I do too badly off a script, but yeah - sometimes it comes off a bit too presenter-ish.  I'm probably comfortable enough with it now that I could try and speed it up and make it a bit more natural. 

babyshambler