Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 10:46:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

comedians in cars getting coffee season 2

Started by acrow, June 13, 2013, 09:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acrow

the first episode of this is online now. sarah silverman is the guest. it's mildly entertaining. much like the first series.

the next episode's guest is david letterman. i'm quite looking forward to that.

i tried searching for the old thread i thought was on here but no luck.

do you like this show?

Cold Meat Platter

I liked it better when the exposition robot from Red Dwarf was doing it.

I prefer this one to that, mainly because it's edited, I liked the one where Michael Richards was talking about playing chess with a savant a lot.

Rolf Lundgren

Really like it, wish it was longer than 10 minutes though. Michael Richards was a good one but it had that really odd bit where he went round to Sugar Ray Leonard's house.

It's a rip-off of Carpool but it's plausible that Seinfeld or whoever came up with the idea has never seen it. It wasn't a massive hit and the format isn't complicated. The good thing about Seinfeld's is that he's only chatting to his mates and the best episodes of Carpool were the ones where Robert was with people he'd worked with. 

Depressed Beyond Tables

That's a lot of fawning over Sarah Silverman. Shame, it would have been a better interview with someone who was prepared to bounce off her. Intellectually.

Wet Blanket

I wish he'd do a whole series just hanging out with Larry David.

McFlymo

It is possible that this isn't copying Carpool, but it's irking me all the same.

And I'm really hung up on the way programmes are SLICED AND DICED in America. The editing makes me feel seasick and I always feel like I'm watching a trailer for events to come, rather than anything real or interesting.

If I can get over these things I might enjoy it.

checkoutgirl

The one with Robert Lewellyn was a good idea and the interviews were interesting enough but I couldn't get past the sound of the car, it really put me off. I could barely hear a word of it. Is this one any better ? And do we really need another Sarah Silverman interview ? She's rubbish isn't she ? Don't answer, the answer is yes.

Natnar

Has Carpool finished for good now? All i can find out online is that the last episodes were in 2011 with a promise of a return in 2012.

McFlymo

Watched the Sarah Silverman and Ricky Gervais ones. They weren't that badly edited after all. I kinda enjoyed them. What's happened to me? I thought I was supposed to hate these people?

Replies From View

The Larry David one is probably my favourite.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Natnar on June 14, 2013, 12:26:28 PM
Has Carpool finished for good now? All i can find out online is that the last episodes were in 2011 with a promise of a return in 2012.

Not officially - Lewellyn was a bit vague when the next episodes would be shot exactly (sometime towards the end of last year, IIRC) and my feeling it would be a case of as and when he was able to do it, and not busy with other work.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Natnar on June 14, 2013, 12:26:28 PM

It tried a move to TV but it's ideal format is youtube. Same for the seinfeld series.
All those daft late night itv shows, post pub channel 4 things from the 90s - all ideal for youtube.
Whats Epic Mealtime but a beefed up Get Stuffed?
I wouldn't want to watch these on TV. Theres a looseness that fits the internet.

I'm quite prepared to believe that Seinfeld's happened independently of Carpool. Robert Llewellyn can't have been the only media type to realise that great conversations happen in cars. Same for music. I used to love making mixtapes for driving my pals around. sigh. I'm ancient

Replies From View

Seinfeld's version makes the car much more a subject than Llewellyn's.  Occasionally Llewellyn or one of his guests will start talking about alternative fuels and that industry but it's not the same as "look at this different vintage car every single week".

Both are clearly vehicle enthusiasts and I can believe the idea of chatting with guests in cars was arrived at independently.  It's just an obvious set up for a relaxed interview.

phes

I enjoyed the Brian Regan and Joel Hodgson episodes as much as much as any other. The Joel Hodgson one is a bit slow, but once it got going their imagined ketchup conversation and pitch had me chuckling a lot. Michael Richards I enjoyed immensely, especially his taking Jerry to Sugar Ray Leonards house.

Looking forward to seeing who the other guests for this series are.

acrow

the wikipedia page for the show says "Upcoming guests include Gad Elmaleh, Seth Meyers, Don Rickles, and Chris Rock."

it also says there will be 24 episodes.

I watched the first few episodes when it started. Gervais did his... Gervais thing. Larry David acted all Jewish and stuff.

Although I like Seinfeld, I couldn't help feeling that I was being gloated to by a super-rich egomaniac. Let me show you my collection of classic cars and my smaller but no less impressive collection of celebrity chums. Fuck's sake, Jerry.

This might just be my own bitter little projection though, and I accept that. A lot of people will see the series as a sincere attempt to give viewers the experience of going for a drive and a coffee with people like Larry David.

Replies From View

Yes, you have a point.  There's something about the editing too that takes out the rough, honest, unpolished sincerity that you get with Robert Llewellyn's version.  What you get in Seinfeld's one is something transparently attempting to appear spontaneous, but all the cutaways to carefully framed cakes and coffees makes the experience feel staged and promotional, and as they point out in the Silverman one there are things like a sponsor's car carefully placed that they have to deliberately manoeuvre themselves to, taking away the sense that they're just doing their thing of going for a coffee. 

And they pointed out the car in a way that seemed like they were reacting rebelliously to it being there at first - mocking the fact that it had been placed there for sponsorship reasons - but actually by drawing attention to the brand they just seemed to be doing as they were told.

acrow

i think the audience is supposed to know the spontaneity is fabricated though. every episode starts with an "unexpected" call from jerry to invite the guest out for coffee after all.   

Replies From View

Quote from: acrow on June 15, 2013, 06:42:56 PM
i think the audience is supposed to know the spontaneity is fabricated though. every episode starts with an "unexpected" call from jerry to invite the guest out for coffee after all.

But it teeters in that space where it's clearly meant to be taken as genuinely spontaneous at the same time, because what happens between comedians and friends in a natural, relaxed environment is the whole conceit of the show.  And I don't really think the overly polished presentation and almost insidious incorporation of products really helps with that.

phes

I'm not sure how natural or relaxed it was for Barry Marder, who was collected in a 1960s Porsche, Dutch police car. With a set-belt that wouldn't fit around his tummy.

mr. logic

The Michael Richards one ended on a really sad note. Richards still seems tortured about the Laugh Factory incident and it made the preceding wacky and self-conscious Kramer stuff seem actually quite heartbreaking.

McFlymo

Quote from: Replies From View on June 15, 2013, 07:01:08 PM
But it teeters in that space where it's clearly meant to be taken as genuinely spontaneous at the same time, because what happens between comedians and friends in a natural, relaxed environment is the whole conceit of the show.  And I don't really think the overly polished presentation and almost insidious incorporation of products really helps with that.

This.

The edits during the Silverman episode kept taking me away from feeling any sense of connection with her or Seinfield and it seems that's almost intentional: Before you think you're getting some genuine, honest bit of insight into these people, the camera jumps to a close up shot of coffee, or an exterior of the car riding along a highway, or another angle where their voices are muted and the background music rises up again. What's the point of this? Is it an issue of timing: To squeeze more soundbites and bite-sized chunks of their interactions into the program? Or is it to keep the audience at a distance: Don't let people get too cosy with these celebrities, else we realise how, just, normal they all are? Or is it just a shit habit that all shows seem to employ: Everyone else cuts and edits this way, so why should we be any different?

Famous Mortimer

http://splitsider.com/2014/02/jerry-seinfeld-on-diversity-in-comedy-who-cares/

There is an argument to be made that it's not Jerry Seinfeld's job to find new comedians, when the show seems fairly explicitly about his friends. I get a bit bored by these sort of articles, too.

Famous Mortimer

McFlymo

Just noticed this is now on Netflix.

Went searching to see what y'all thought of it and realised we had discussed it as far back as 2013!

I remembered that we had compared it to Car Pool at the time. I'm still unsure if it copied the idea but I'm also still sad that there hasn't been Car Pool for a long time.

Anyone have further thoughts on this, now that it has been released on (an arguably better platform for a show like this) Netflix?

up_the_hampipe

The Louis CK one is absent from the collection on Netflix, yet they still have his specials on there.

McFlymo

I suppose it's possible the producers of Comedians in Cars made that decision, rather than Netflix, but I suspect it's more than likely Netflix wanna keep grabbing that dirty-CK-dollah from his specials, while trying to appear morally responsible by removing the CK episode.

Captain Z

Car Pool
Car Share
Carpool Karaoke
Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee

All blend into one for me, and the possibility of accidentally watching the James Cordon one prevents me from ever trying to work out the difference.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: Captain Z on January 10, 2018, 11:53:46 PM
Car Pool
Car Share
Carpool Karaoke
Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee

All blend into one for me, and the possibility of accidentally watching the James Cordon one prevents me from ever trying to work out the difference.

I'm still pitching Carr a-Vaggio - Jimmy Carr having sex with women while discussing Italian religious art.