Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:16:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

comedians in cars getting coffee season 2

Started by acrow, June 13, 2013, 09:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on August 01, 2019, 02:27:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU-Tig_HNDg&feature=youtu.be Six minutes in to this clip is where Bobcat went after Seinfeld.

Only a few years after this clip, a 35 year old Bobcat started dating 19 year old Nikki Cox. So he presumably wasn't that bothered about older men having sex with teenage girls.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Ah! Textbook hypocrisy from Goldthwait there. They're both as creepy as each other. I suspect, in that case, that Goldthwait's real beef is Seinfeld making gazillions of dollars from 'safe' observational material, whereas WILD AND CRAZY PUNK ROCK COMEDIANS (who starred in the Police Academy films) such as himself aren't as venerated.

I haven't seen any of Goldthwait's self-penned and directed films, they may be masterpieces for all I know, but he comes across as a desperate berk in that Arsenio clip. His self-conscious "This is a classic, anarchic talk show moment!" antics make Peter Kay at his scene-hogging worst look like Alan Bennett having a quiet afternoon chat with Mavis Nicholson.

Goldentony

bobcat was in police academy fucking 4 lads, he's bulletproof, on the other hand you've got some footy priest nonce who looks like a sausage and cant get his head around plug sockets

Small Man Big Horse

I've been a big Seinfeld fan (the person and the show) for a long time and somehow never got round to watching Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.

I watched a few and, Jerry's leg slapping forced laughter aside, found it reasonably amusing.

During one episode Jerry asks a waiter his name. The waiter introduces himself and offers Jerry his hand to shake. Jerry said he didn't want to and that he found shaking hands a pretty disgusting transaction. I'm sure I've heard him say something like this before so maybe he was being sincere...but he really belittled the guy. Maybe I should expect less of someone so famous, but it was pretty mean-spirited from someone I always thought was a very decent bloke.

Quote from: Mantis Toboggan on August 07, 2019, 08:29:28 AM
Jerry said he didn't want to and that he found shaking hands a pretty disgusting transaction. I'm sure I've heard him say something like this before so maybe he was being sincere...but he really belittled the guy.

Seems to be on the rise. I've heard a few comedians say on podcasts recently saying handshakes aren't the done thing anymore, citing not wanting to trade germs/ catch sickness from strangers.

Which is fair enough but sounds like Jerry could have been less of an arsehole about it, but then that's par for the course these days. I know it's been mentioned above thread but it came across as really mean-spirited when he called Rogen a sweaty mess on camera. Used to look forward to these but apart from Murphy this latest run has been pretty poor.

EOLAN

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on August 07, 2019, 09:17:29 AM
Seems to be on the rise. I've heard a few comedians say on podcasts recently saying handshakes aren't the done thing anymore, citing not wanting to trade germs/ catch sickness from strangers.

Which is fair enough but sounds like Jerry could have been less of an arsehole about it, but then that's par for the course these days. I know it's been mentioned above thread but it came across as really mean-spirited when he called Rogen a sweaty mess on camera. Used to look forward to these but apart from Murphy this latest run has been pretty poor.

Sounds consistent with his (fictitious) character in Seinfeld, that was quite a germaphobe. Almost makes me happy that he true to character. And conversely in my heart I feel that he may have been decent enough to do something off camera for the guy. 

TheMonk

Quote from: EOLAN on August 07, 2019, 10:04:23 AM
Sounds consistent with his (fictitious) character in Seinfeld, that was quite a germaphobe. Almost makes me happy that he true to character. And conversely in my heart I feel that he may have been decent enough to do something off camera for the guy.
Nah he did the same with that Kesha bird . Unreasonably rude. And he seems to treat people in customer service pretty dismissively overall.

Suki Bapswent

I can't bring myself to watch the Gervais ones after his appearance in the trailer strutting around like he's just finished cumming down his own throat. Are they in any way bearable, or does he start analysing comedy from the context of stupid religious people and triggered snowflakes again?

Armin Meiwes

The Gervais ones are just exactly what you'd expect them to be tbh. Soooort of respect Seinfeld in a way for doing the handshake thing but then leaving it in, I mean he MUST know it doesn't exactly reflect well on him and he could have easily cut it.

magval

Isn't this a big part of his personality though, like even the Seinfeld Jerry Seinfeld had a problem with germs (toothbrush incident, throwing the laces in the bin)

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: TheMonk on August 07, 2019, 10:32:30 AM
Nah he did the same with that Kesha bird . Unreasonably rude. And he seems to treat people in customer service pretty dismissively overall.

To be fair, Seinfeld dealt with that incident as best he could for a man who doesn't like hugging strangers.

God those Ricky episodes, 10 minutes dissecting a joke that was 'haha Chinese people look the same', something a 5 year old could come up with

I loved Ricky choosing to condemn because cameras were rolling. "Are you leaving that in?" As if it's any worse than stuff he's said and continues to say.

TheMonk

Quote from: StewartLeehaslethimselfgo on August 07, 2019, 09:04:10 PM
God those Ricky episodes, 10 minutes dissecting a joke that was 'haha Chinese people look the same', something a 5 year old could come up with
Why is this a 2 parter? Just for the Batman joke?
The Eddie Murphy episode is longer, seems odd to break the format for what seems like a fairly ordinary conversation with Gervais.

The other thing that annoys me is every time they have a coffee they show the same footage advertising Lavia coffee. Surely not all of those cafes have the same coffee. Considering the whole point of the show is comedians drinking coffee it seems disingenuous .

Blue Jam

Does anyone else fancy a nice hot cup of Lavazza™?

Mmmmmmmm, Lavazza™... Going to go out and buy me some Lavazza™ right now...

Blue Jam

Loved Gervais's Sergio Giorgini jacket. I was hoping for a bit of Free Love On The Free Love Freeway rather than the usual plinky plonky jazz.

mjwilson

Quote from: TheMonk on August 08, 2019, 01:46:58 AM
The other thing that annoys me is every time they have a coffee they show the same footage advertising Lavia coffee. Surely not all of those cafes have the same coffee. Considering the whole point of the show is comedians drinking coffee it seems disingenuous .
They care a lot more about the cars than the coffee.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 06, 2019, 10:06:02 PM
Nathan Rabin's written a fun little piece about the Seinfeld vs Bobcat thing - https://www.nathanrabin.com/happy-place/2019/8/6/bobcat-vs-seinfeld

Though I disagree with the canonisation of St. Bobcat, that's a great point about Seinfeld seeing comedy in terms of winning rather than as an art form. It's a recurring theme with him, the more popular you are then the better you are, which doesn't address the nuances or niches of some comedians. He's good friends with guys like Joel Hodgson, Barry Marder and Mario Joyner who clearly don't fit into the mass popularity bracket so it's an odd stance to take.

Or really he was just pissed off at Bobcat and started ranting without much of an argument. That seems more likely.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on August 08, 2019, 08:03:39 PM
Though I disagree with the canonisation of St. Bobcat, that's a great point about Seinfeld seeing comedy in terms of winning rather than as an art form. It's a recurring theme with him, the more popular you are then the better you are, which doesn't address the nuances or niches of some comedians. He's good friends with guys like Joel Hodgson, Barry Marder and Mario Joyner who clearly don't fit into the mass popularity bracket so it's an odd stance to take.

Bobcat can be very funny in movies. His stand-up... not so much. I've always felt a desperation from him, that he is maybe not a naturally funny person, and his wacky voice and hijinks are the comedy equivalent of throwing a bunch of shit and seeing what sticks. In particular, his appearance on The Larry Sanders show, where he represents the forces of punk and anarchy that scares the shit out of suits like Larry and Artie - but in fact, Bobcat's appearance on the show made me side with the latter. It was cringey, and desperate and unfunny, unsuitable for a mass audience not because it was too wild, but because it was too tedious.

Don't mean to dump on him though - by all reports he's a lovely person and a talented director. And Jerry Seinfeld has become bit of a cranky old man with a short temper. You could say he's earned it, but doesn't doesn't really excuse a kind of necessary arrogance in situations where none is required.

The thing about Seinfeld seeing it as winning is interesting, but my take on it was that he meant it in a specific way. Not that comedy, as a thing, is something you win when you're rich and famous, but as a performer whose job is - one way or the other - to make people laugh, you know you've won when you get that laugh. Personalities aside, Seinfeld strikes me as kind of an old-school craftsman who doesn't have much time for what he perceives as gimmicks, which are almost always a shortcut to something.

mr. logic

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on August 08, 2019, 08:03:39 PM

Or really he was just pissed off at Bobcat and started ranting without much of an argument. That seems more likely.

Seinfeld strikes me as your classic careerist. Gets offered a sitcom and finds somebody he trusts with the mind to make it work. Norm hinted at this when interviewed him, and he bristled, but it seems about right to me. Seinfeld on his own could not have came up with George Costanza, so he was deft enough to work with somebody who could.

Cuellar

Quote from: mjwilson on August 08, 2019, 07:48:51 PM
They care a lot more about the cars than the coffee.

Yeah, good point. I'd love to see the exact same programme but they drive to specialty coffee shops around the UK in an 02 reg Corsa.

And I'd like them to talk at length about the coffee and the method of extraction.

"I'm having the Ethiopian yirgacheffe through the V60. I think you, Ricky Gervais, should go for their Kenyan through an Aeropress"
"I hate religous"
"HAHA brilliant, let's go"

cliggg

I've given up on this show now, I was only watching certain episodes depending on who the guest was and have already voiced my dislikes about except this last one which I will voice now. It's not funny.

TheMonk

Well yes, the coffee isn't the focus for Jerry. But if a TV show visited your sandwich bar and you took care in presenting them with a nice fresh sandwich, then they just stuck in stock footage of Subway chucking together a 6 incher, surely you'd be pissed.

phes

Stimulant Addicts in Cars being Less Funny than the Actor Mathew Broderick, with Boring, Thigh-Slapping Nobber Jerry Seinfeld

up_the_hampipe

Seinfeld and Eddie Murphy being interviewed at some Netflix promotional event https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqbvsDt_D3o

It's funny that Seinfeld predicted some people having a problem with their homeless jokes. Maybe he's a little self-aware after all.

dr_christian_troy

I'm hoping someone will eventually edit an episode which only features Jerry driving around in a car laughing with no indication that anyone else is in the car.

Blue Jam

Watched the Eddie Murphy one. They bleep out "fuck" but the N-word is fine???!!

Ham Bap

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on August 23, 2019, 11:40:34 PM
I'm hoping someone will eventually edit an episode which only features Jerry driving around in a car laughing with no indication that anyone else is in the car.

Comedian in car having mental breakdown

Would watch

Sin Agog

Quote from: Ham Bap on August 24, 2019, 01:52:41 PM
Comedian in car having mental breakdown

Would watch

Will only watch if Other Jerry speaks in a croaky Bobcat voice.