Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:22:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

comedians in cars getting coffee season 2

Started by acrow, June 13, 2013, 09:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poodlefaker

Jer picks up Stan Bordman in an '85 Cavalier and they drive to Knutsford Services for tea and a flapjack; then a quick go on the arcade games.

Small Man Big Horse

I've mixed feelings about the series but I did love the Garry Shandling episode - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3kvs5b

Enrico Palazzo

12 new episodes on Netflix today but two of them are Ricky Gervais.

up_the_hampipe

One is Martin Short though. Makes up for everything.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

There's an interesting bit in the Eddie Murphy episode where he states that he was genuinely pissed off with Bill Cosby telling him what he should and shouldn't do on stage. He's not joking when he describes Cosby as a rude arsehole with a massive ego, which coming from Murphy is really saying something.

Mind you, Murphy has obviously mellowed, he comes across as an affable chap. However, for all his talk of wanting to return to stand-up, I just don't think he has that spark anymore. He's too rich and complacent. Seinfeld is staggeringly wealthy too, of course, but he's a lot sharper than Murphy in that episode.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 19, 2019, 11:49:34 AM
One is Martin Short though. Makes up for everything.

Really looking forward to that one, Short is such a funny, likeable man.

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on July 19, 2019, 10:46:59 AM

If it's any consolation, those episodes reveal that Gervais is going bald at the back. Haha. Baldy.

TheMonk

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 20, 2019, 02:31:32 PM
Mind you, Murphy has obviously mellowed, he comes across as an affable chap. However, for all his talk of wanting to return to stand-up, I just don't think he has that spark anymore. He's too rich and complacent. Seinfeld is staggeringly wealthy too, of course, but he's a lot sharper than Murphy in that episode.
Yes, there's the small matter that Eddie Murphy hasn't done anything remotely funny in years.
Even if he decided to, he'd surely bail the moment he realises it's hard work.
There's  a pile of stories doing the rounds saying he's gonna sign with Netflix for some standup specials. But they're clearly bullshit.
https://nypost.com/2019/07/19/eddie-murphy-to-make-standup-comedy-comeback-for-70m-netflix-payday-report/

up_the_hampipe

Eddie seemed pretty obsessed with the idea of doing stand-up again. He talked about it almost non-stop during the episode. He seems to be quite sharp, he's got funny ideas and plenty of funny stories from all these years I'm sure. If he is signing with netflix, presumably there's no real strict deadline on when the special has to be made, so he can take a year or two to really get back into it. People are very sceptical, but I'm not counting him out.

mr. logic

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 20, 2019, 02:31:32 PM
There's an interesting bit in the Eddie Murphy episode where he states that he was genuinely pissed off with Bill Cosby telling him what he should and shouldn't do on stage. He's not joking when he describes Cosby as a rude arsehole with a massive ego, which coming from Murphy is really saying something.

Really looking forward to that one, Short is such a funny, likeable man.

I've heard Norm Macdonald talk about Murphy in interviews (as I'm sure lots of us have). Apparently he is never especially funny unless he's performing, making jokes around friends doesn't seem to interest him. Odd really.

TheMonk

Just watched the Murphy one.
Two mega rich men in a Porsche making dull jokes about homeless people not once but twice.
Bloody hilarious eh?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: mr. logic on July 20, 2019, 10:01:35 PM
I've heard Norm Macdonald talk about Murphy in interviews (as I'm sure lots of us have). Apparently he is never especially funny unless he's performing, making jokes around friends doesn't seem to interest him. Odd really.

Chris Rock, Chappelle and Neal Brennan say the opposite, that he's still very funny in conversation. He cracked a few jokes in his episode too.

phes

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on July 19, 2019, 10:46:59 AM

Not like Ricky to repeat himself

Sin Agog

I find something weird about the way driving Seinfeld keeps elbowing Eddie in the ribs to express approval.  It's like the kind of gesture you might have once seen on The Little Rascals or something that real people don't actually do.

Murphy was great on this.  Get the vibe from Chris Rock that one of his favourite pasttimes is bringing up this or that old Jewish comic from back in the day.  Makes him still seem quite grounded.  And egads, he's barely aged a day.

beanheadmcginty

In the Matthew Broderick one, why are they turned away from Patagonia? Why does the kid in the shop say he's going to lose his job?

Small Man Big Horse

I enjoyed the Martin Short one, it's not particularly hilarious but it's interesting to see Short discuss his career and answer some of the questions in a thoughtful manner.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 21, 2019, 12:52:00 PM
I enjoyed the Martin Short one, it's not particularly hilarious but it's interesting to see Short discuss his career and answer some of the questions in a thoughtful manner.

You should read his autobiography. It's very very good.

McChesney Duntz

So anybody want to wager a guess as to which comedian triggered Jerry into that angry, foul-mouthed rant in the Bridget Everett episode? My money's on Bobcat Goldthwait.

Armin Meiwes

Tried a few of these but I just don't think Seinfeld is a particularly engaging or interesting individual. Admittedly 15 mins isn't a lot of time to build up an interesting chat tho.

phes

Which season did you watch?

I've watched a number of this season and some of them have been stinkers. Maybe he just couldn't rescue them

Puce Moment

I enjoyed the Murphy one a great deal - he's so subdued and earnest in real life so it is lovely to see him crack slightly and succomb to doing bits.

I thought that Jezzer was surpisingly complimentary to Murphy in a way that made me perhaps underestimate how he is seen by other seminal stand-ups.

Regarding the homeless joke - I thought it was just one of those old-fashioned 'look at how middle-class people passionately pay to do things that poor people HAVE to do.' Perhaps I am being generous.

No, that's an accurate interpretation of the joke. They weren't having a pop at homeless people at all.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on July 22, 2019, 03:34:39 PM
Tried a few of these but I just don't think Seinfeld is a particularly engaging or interesting individual. Admittedly 15 mins isn't a lot of time to build up an interesting chat tho.

Seinfeld's an awkward dude who acts like The Keeper of the Sacred Joke, and the car fetishism is gross.  It can also veer painfully close to those over-edited, low-content American magazine shows, despite the fact that they don't actually have commercial breaks.  But I dunno man, it is true that comedians have a freeing vibe when they get together.  The episodes with non-comedians like Christoph Waltz are even worse.

rasta-spouse

What's the deal with Seinfeld's fake laughing and knee slapping at things that aren't remotely amusing? He seems mad.

Also, Ricky's a fibber because he knows full well where that Auschwitz joke comes from because David Baddiel does it on every podcast he's on - he probably says it every day regardless of who's there what's happening.

Quote from: rasta-spouse on July 22, 2019, 07:47:53 PM
Also, Ricky's a fibber because he knows full well where that Auschwitz joke comes from because David Baddiel does it on every podcast he's on - he probably says it every day regardless of who's there what's happening.

Knew the sly fucker was covering something up on that one, it was great/painful they let that play out without an edit.

SEINFELD: Wow, what a joke. Did you make that up?
GERVAIS: ......... no.
SEINFELD: Where's it from?
GERVAIS: It....... I dunno.

rasta-spouse

Just remembered that Baddiel also did the joke on Gervais' Deadly Sirius pod, directly to him.

Come on Ricky, would it have killed you to say "my mate Dave told me that one" and dropped Seinfeld a Phoenix from the Flames link?

Sin Agog

Going back to the Eddie Murphy one, I was mulling on that moment when he seems perplexed that Pryor wouldn't perform in front of him.  It had a similar hurt, befuddled tone to when Carlos Mencia talks about comedians not going on when they know he's in the audience.  Murphy definitely recreated some Pryor bits beat for beat.  Even his favourite of his own material, the ice cream bit, is kind of a heightened version of Pryor's impression of his own kids when they're in trouble.  Just struck me as a slightly weird mental blip, a lack of self-awareness.

mr. logic

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 23, 2019, 10:51:38 AM
Going back to the Eddie Murphy one, I was mulling on that moment when he seems perplexed that Pryor wouldn't perform in front of him.  It had a similar hurt, befuddled tone to when Carlos Mencia talks about comedians not going on when they know he's in the audience.  Murphy definitely recreated some Pryor bits beat for beat.  Even his favourite of his own material, the ice cream bit, is kind of a heightened version of Pryor's impression of his own kids when they're in trouble.  Just struck me as a slightly weird mental blip, a lack of self-awareness.

Yeah, but he always gave Pryor credit didn't he? Surely Pryor was too well known to just crib bits from?

There's also a bit in the Murphy one where Seinfeld mentions money being the antithesis of comedy. Is he doing that knowingly? In an episode that makes sure it showcases Murphy's lavish estate? I mean, he's just funny about money in general. Seems to like bringing it up all the time in a supposedly casual way, never to boast but always to make sure the viewer remembers he has lots of it. I remember him rudely questioning Louis C.K. about it too. In contrast to Larry David, the more I see of Seinfeld away from the show the more I dislike him.

Seinfeld is a weirdo. Larry David is more balanced, he appears to be a fairly decent, self-aware bloke. Seinfeld, though, is an arrogant oddball who genuinely regards comedians as superior beings.

I'm a fan, I think Seinfeld is one of the greatest sitcoms in existence and some of Jerry's stand-up 'bits' are brilliant, but the man himself is hard to like.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 20, 2019, 06:22:55 PM
Eddie seemed pretty obsessed with the idea of doing stand-up again. He talked about it almost non-stop during the episode. He seems to be quite sharp, he's got funny ideas and plenty of funny stories from all these years I'm sure. If he is signing with netflix, presumably there's no real strict deadline on when the special has to be made, so he can take a year or two to really get back into it. People are very sceptical, but I'm not counting him out.

I recall Jeff Garlin saying he's worked with dozens of the funniest people around and hands down the funniest of them all was Murphy. If he's been prattling on about doing stand up again then he has the enthusiasm. I can't see why he couldn't do stand up again.

Other than the fact that it's a saturated market with thousands of working comedians all with their own Netflix special.

The Lion King

Watched the Gervais ones, not giving credit for that holocaust joke is a bit unfair, but otherwise Gervais comes across quite well, albeit not that funny. Can't believe he's still using 'just because you're offended didn't mean you're right' though.

I find Seinfeld's constant analysis of why jokes are funny annoying, especially when it's  seconds after he's heard the punchline. Talking about the craft of comedy all the time. Maybe it's more of an American thing, see 'Talking Funny' - you don't get many British equivalents. Seinfeld loves taking apart jokes, and he's so smug and definite about it like he has the final say