Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 10:45:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

comedians in cars getting coffee season 2

Started by acrow, June 13, 2013, 09:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colacentral

I laughed at "Curious George" "What we didn't know was that he was curious what our head looks like without a face."

Matthew Broderick made me laugh a fair bit too.

It's odd how some of these are edited in such a way as to suggest Seinfeld didn't like the person. Like Seth Rogen's - the awkward silences are highlighted by the editing when they could easily have been trimmed out. Seinfeld's voice over also makes some pointed reference to Rogen not really being a stand-up or something. It's odd. You can sense Seinfeld sitting in the editing room and wanting to make the other person look bad when he doesn't particularly get on with them.

I watched a few older episodes which I'd missed before. I thought Zach Galifinakis came across really badly, and I was glad that Seinfeld called him out on all his nonsense about being recognised. I actually think that, although I can see Seinfeld coming across as cold to some people, what he actually is is perhaps overly sincere. I really enjoyed the exchange where Galifanikis asked "don't people try to speak to you when you cycle through new york?" and Seinfeld replied "yeah. And?" I think you'd expect him to be more cynical but he comes across pretty level-headed to me. Maybe that being at peace-ness comes across as arrogance to some people.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: colacentral on July 25, 2019, 02:07:31 AMI thought Zach Galifinakis came across really badly, and I was glad that Seinfeld called him out on all his nonsense about being recognised.

Reminded me of one of Jeff Ross's roast pops where you can see Galifianakis was expecting to be made a bigger deal of - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyRF2VYrUDs#t=2m39s

famethrowa

How good was Eddie Murphy's little bit about Jacko and Bubbles? Hilarious.

jimboslice

Quote from: The Lion King on July 24, 2019, 06:35:34 PM
Watched the Gervais ones, not giving credit for that holocaust joke is a bit unfair, but otherwise Gervais comes across quite well, albeit not that funny. Can't believe he's still using 'just because you're offended didn't mean you're right' though.

It's not even Baddiel's joke though, he credits Devorah Baum in this tweet.

dirkgonnadirk

Quote from: rasta-spouse on July 22, 2019, 07:47:53 PM
What's the deal with Seinfeld's fake laughing and knee slapping at things that aren't remotely amusing? He seems mad.

also he's taken to saying 'that's hilarious' and not laughing, which he once mocked for half an episode in seinfeld.

i think jerry is funny and like a lot of what he says, but his whole 'comedians are the most special creatures on earth' thing that he trots out 3-4x a season is genuinely one of the worst things ever.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on July 25, 2019, 02:29:44 AM
Reminded me of one of Jeff Ross's roast pops where you can see Galifianakis was expecting to be made a bigger deal of - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyRF2VYrUDs#t=2m39s

That's not him, it's an impersonator.

Also Galifianakis seemed fine in his episode. Just an introverted guy who doesn't really handle fame well.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 25, 2019, 12:15:01 PM
That's not him, it's an impersonator.

Yeah I've seen that argued, but I thought the joke/conclusion was that it actually was him.

Armin Meiwes

EDIT-

Strike my comment from the record maybe it WAS him.

Scrapey Fish

Quote from: colacentral on July 25, 2019, 02:07:31 AM
I really enjoyed the exchange where Galifanikis asked "don't people try to speak to you when you cycle through new york?" and Seinfeld replied "yeah. And?" I think you'd expect him to be more cynical but he comes across pretty level-headed to me. Maybe that being at peace-ness comes across as arrogance to some people.

He's pretty harsh here to be fair, although it is a journalist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo-vP02SEzo

TheMonk

Quote from: famethrowa on July 25, 2019, 04:04:15 AM
How good was Eddie Murphy's little bit about Jacko and Bubbles? Hilarious.
Knowing now what went on in his theme park, it made me feel uncomfortable. Jackson is no longer funny, he was a manipulative creep who peddled the zany behaviour Murphy describes here. God knows what that monkey went through in the early hours of the morning.

Enrico Palazzo

I rewatched Comedian on Netflix last night. Surprised to discover Orny Adams has gone on to a fairly successful stand-up career. He does not come out of that film well at all.

Also, it's a great comedy documentary, if you haven't seen it.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Scrapey Fish on July 25, 2019, 01:03:31 PM

I don't think he's harsh at all, it's just terrible journalism. He plays the guy really well.

Sin Agog

The TMZ HQ should be the setting for Iannucci's next movie.

poodlefaker

Would a UK version of this work? Who would present it? Maybe Comedians On Trains Drinking Beer would be better. Inter-city and heritage lines. Barry Cryer on the Servern Valley Railway with a can of Tribute. Could be a tin of G&T if it's a lady comedian.

Sin Agog

Quote from: poodlefaker on July 25, 2019, 03:46:48 PM
Would a UK version of this work? Who would present it? Maybe Comedians On Trains Drinking Beer would be better. Inter-city and heritage lines. Barry Cryer on the Servern Valley Railway with a can of Tribute. Could be a tin of G&T if it's a lady comedian.

I reckon Robert Llewellyn would be quite good at it.

The Lion King

Quote from: jimboslice on July 25, 2019, 07:52:56 AM
It's not even Baddiel's joke though, he credits Devorah Baum in this tweet.

Oh, that's good to know!

Replies From View

Quote from: rasta-spouse on July 22, 2019, 07:47:53 PM
What's the deal with Seinfeld's fake laughing and knee slapping at things that aren't remotely amusing? He seems mad.

Also, Ricky's a fibber because he knows full well where that Auschwitz joke comes from because David Baddiel does it on every podcast he's on - he probably says it every day regardless of who's there what's happening.

Yes, and the clue that he's lying is in the wording "I don't know where it is".  That's not something you'd say about an old joke that you'd heard from a mate who'd heard it from another mate.  It's a comment you'd make when you knew the joke had a specific source that could still be accessed if you wanted it.

St_Eddie

Please don't refer to those TMZ jokers as journalists.  They're just cunts with cameras.

Also, Seinfeld wasn't harsh at all.  Considering that it was TMZ, it was incredibly gratuitous of him not to flay the cunt where he stood.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 26, 2019, 05:28:26 PM
Please don't refer to those TMZ jokers as journalists.  They're just cunts with cameras.

Also, Seinfeld wasn't harsh at all.  Considering that it was TMZ, it was incredibly gratuitous of him not to flay the cunt where he stood.

When I see TMZ videos, I always think of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYATDiriBGI

St_Eddie

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 26, 2019, 05:40:56 PM
When I see TMZ videos, I always think of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYATDiriBGI

Does it still count as satire if it's literally an exact beat-for-beat recreation of the thing that it's satirising, to the point of being completely indistinguishable?

Suki Bapswent

I get the impression that anyone can be a TMZ 'reporter' if they can meet the following criteria:

- Have a fast vehicle that can get to a celebrity quicker than others
- Have a camera to record things on
- A willingness to be an annoying cunt with nothing to offer

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 26, 2019, 05:28:26 PM

Absolutely. Those guys are utter cunts, whereas Seinfeld is, at worst, a slightly grumpy and pompous man. Good on him for telling that guy that his questions were pointless and dull.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: colacentral on July 25, 2019, 02:07:31 AM
It's odd how some of these are edited in such a way as to suggest Seinfeld didn't like the person. Like Seth Rogen's - the awkward silences are highlighted by the editing when they could easily have been trimmed out. Seinfeld's voice over also makes some pointed reference to Rogen not really being a stand-up or something. It's odd. You can sense Seinfeld sitting in the editing room and wanting to make the other person look bad when he doesn't particularly get on with them.

I get the impression Seinfeld would be happy interviewing people he likes or people he's already mates with and ones like Seth Rogen are at the behest of Netflix. There's been a few where there isn't much chemistry there although Seinfeld is usually a good audience.

I really liked the Eddie Murphy one and the 40 minute run time was perfect. Wish more of them could stretch their legs out like that.

Seinfeld always had a mean streak but it comes out more frequently in these. A couple of times he rails against talent and reality show contestants as though they haven't earned their celebrity status and although it's a decent point it seems curmudgeonly coming from a guy who has been incredibly successful and shouldn't be worrying about a new generation of people trying to earn a few quid. 

TheMonk

Yeah, at times he comes across as a bit of an arse in the current series.
In particular he seems to be purposefully trying to make Seth Rogan uncomfortable, and that comment about talking incessantly is rude. I'm ambivalent about Rogan but he was a guest on his show, so Seinfeld acting like he's bored and irritated wastes everyone's time.

kidsick5000

I feel like I watched a different episode to everyone else.
The Seth Rogen episode is fine. Jerry seems a bit distant at first but then I figured it's because he's concentrating on driving.
Don't forget, much of the shtick of this show is busting balls, so highlighting things like incessant talking, it's all one-upmanship.
Loved that clip of Will Ferrell at the end.

phes

He does tell Gervais that he's stopped listening to him because what he's saying his so boring. It's just baffling how that's not a recurring theme throughout both episodes

Replies From View

Quote from: phes on July 27, 2019, 10:56:17 AM
He does tell Gervais that he's stopped listening to him because what he's saying his so boring. It's just baffling how that's not a recurring theme throughout both episodes

It's exactly the same as when Chris Morris' interviewer says "I wasn't listening to that" and "It sounds dull to me, actually," to Peter Cook's character in 'Why Bother?'

ie:  a joke

EOLAN

Matthew Broderick episode was fun. Even funnier if unintentionally so with knowledge of some of Broderick's previous car history.

oy vey

Eddie Murphy: "Yeah I really want to do stand up. I mean really. I'll do it tomorrow." and "I love doing nothing. I mean absolutely nothing."

Let's face it, we're not getting anything more from this guy. Not even another child.

kidsick5000

The most unguarded moment is when Seinfeld vents about the  bleeped out Comedian in the Bridget Everett episode. He is aaaaaaangry. Most speculation puts it as Bobcat Goldthwaite, though apparently Anthony Jeselnik had to investigate to clear himself from the list of suspects