Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 09:54:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

comedians in cars getting coffee season 2

Started by acrow, June 13, 2013, 09:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

It's most likely Bobcat, but it could be Gilbert Gottfried, they've had issues with each other going back decades.

kidsick5000

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 28, 2019, 03:29:35 PM
It's most likely Bobcat, but it could be Gilbert Gottfried, they've had issues with each other going back decades.

Everyone points to Bobcat calling out - on a chat show - Seinfeld's dating a 17-year-old when he was close to 40.
But Bobcat doesn't seem to fit the John Belushi timeframe. Gottfried? Could be. He does seem conspicuous in his absence from the series.

Sin Agog

I had no idea about that relationship until now.

https://people.com/archive/cover-story-the-game-of-love-vol-41-no-11/

Ick. So he was pretty much Woody Allen's character from Manhattan. Disappointing.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: kidsick5000 on July 28, 2019, 05:53:10 PM
Everyone points to Bobcat calling out - on a chat show - Seinfeld's dating a 17-year-old when he was close to 40.

Lots of people were going after Seinfeld for that back in the day, including his good friend Howard Stern doing a song about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RytMJ2-X-rw

Armin Meiwes

Watched some more of these yeah fair enough the Matthew Broderick one was a really enjoyable watch, maybe I was a bit harsh on the programme as with the right people for Seinfeld to #bantz with he's not so awful.

Armin Meiwes

Actually just realised it's prob no coincidence that Broderick is not a comedian so of course Seinfeld couldn't do his usual schtick.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on July 29, 2019, 12:23:35 PMActually just realised it's prob no coincidence that Broderick is not a comedian so of course Seinfeld couldn't do his usual schtick.

Uncoincidentally, the Sarah Jessica Parker episode is similar.

Goldentony

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 28, 2019, 06:02:52 PM
Doesn't Jay Mohr go off on one about Seinfeld fairly regularly? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE2eGwy5GGY

They knock at Jay Mohr's house in the Kramer episode because Kramer lies and says it's Sugar Ray Leonard's house who he knows and is good friends with, so it would have been good to see them have a full on fight

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: kidsick5000 on July 28, 2019, 02:11:22 PM
The most unguarded moment is when Seinfeld vents about the  bleeped out Comedian in the Bridget Everett episode. He is aaaaaaangry. Most speculation puts it as Bobcat Goldthwaite, though apparently Anthony Jeselnik had to investigate to clear himself from the list of suspects

It has to be Goldthwait. Really enjoyed watching Jerry effing and jeffing there!

kidsick5000

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 30, 2019, 01:49:23 AM
It has to be Goldthwait. Really enjoyed watching Jerry effing and jeffing there!

And that's swearing!

kidsick5000

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 30, 2019, 01:49:23 AM

It's almost shocking. Poor Bridget being blindsided by this Hyde-like pivot in tone.
She seems to have been genuinely unaware of any issues between the two.

Seth Rogan always seems like great company, I was surprised the episode was so flat.

I bamlem Jerry Seinfield.

TheMonk

Quote from: Better Midlands on July 30, 2019, 12:12:28 PM
Seth Rogan always seems like great company, I was surprised the episode was so flat.

I bamlem Jerry Seinfield.
Oh Black Betty bamlem

lipsink

Rogan seems like a lovely guy who works very hard. He just seemed very nervous around Jerry Seinfeld (what with the sweating and all that).

lipsink

Quote from: kidsick5000 on July 28, 2019, 02:11:22 PM
The most unguarded moment is when Seinfeld vents about the  bleeped out Comedian in the Bridget Everett episode. He is aaaaaaangry. Most speculation puts it as Bobcat Goldthwaite, though apparently Anthony Jeselnik had to investigate to clear himself from the list of suspects

Love the way you think he's done and Seinfeld is like: "And another thing...."

Also, when Everett says: "Well, I love him."
"Well good. Cos he's gonna need your love".

Armin Meiwes

Is Seinfeld right or not tho do we reckon? Never actually seen any of Goldthwaites standup, just his classic police academy character "Zed" and his nutty but pretty good film with Robin Williams as the dad of an asyphixi-wank victim.

cliggg

I just started watching this show this week though I am only watching certain episodes, depending on who the guest is. It is an odd show in many ways. I can't warm to Jerry Seinfeld at all though, I've always found him to be a blunt person which is no bad thing necessarily but it did lead to surprise at how much fake laughing he does in this show. There are many times he laughs at things that aren't even jokes or attempts at humour. Fake laughter isn't a bad thing necessarily either but only to a point. Also the way he keeps taking his hand off the wheel to clap his hands, takes his eyes off the road to stare at his guest and does his fake laughter shtick while driving makes me nervous looking at it. If he didn't have at least 2 SUVs accompanying him at all times I think he would have cause a crash in the first episode and the whole show would have been cancelled.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: lipsink on July 30, 2019, 01:39:00 PM
Also, when Everett says: "Well, I love him."
"Well good. Cos he's gonna need your love".

Christ, what a bitter millionaire Seinfeld is.

neveragain

It's really unnecessary and quite telling, that he should fly into such a rage at someone simply quoting (or trying to quote) someone he dislikes.

TheMonk

Interestingly I think he's gotten a lot more bitter and jaded since the series moved to Netflix. And presumably he's being paid handsomely.
It feels a bit like his personality is morphing into Larry David's but without the fact that David's anger generally has a discernible point to it. Seeing that unfunny rant on whichever less success comedian it is is off putting. And no matter what he thinks, standing in front of people making observations for a living doesn't raise you above them.

poodlefaker

Watched the Eddie Murphy one last night and found it incredibly dull. JS has appointed himself Emeritus Professor of Comedy but his joke about homeless people giving each other advice is shit. Comedians are super-beings who can laugh at anything! I've watched about 50 of these things and I don't thing Jer says a single funny thing in any of them.

Eddie's impression of Sammy Davis Jnr was great tho.

"Contains product placement" - no shit Seinfeld

Replies From View

The whole petrol-head framework for this thing really grates too.  At least Robert Llewellyn's version tried to raise awareness of battery car technologies; Seinfeld's version is just "Brrrrrrrrum!  Fast, eh!!  Check out the curves on this petrol guzzler!  If you had the money, you would surely buy one!!"

Cuellar

Cars and banter, banter and cars! CARS!!! BANTER!!!!

Replies From View

Oh and also a distracting fetishisation of close-ups of milky swirls being made on the top of a coffee.

All bases covered then.

gilbertharding

It seems to prove the point that analyzing comedy (can be) like dissecting a frog.

At least Jerry doesn't laugh like Gervais or Carr, when he's decided to demonstrate how funny he thinks something should be.

Quote from: kidsick5000 on July 28, 2019, 05:53:10 PM
But Bobcat doesn't seem to fit the John Belushi timeframe. Gottfried? Could be. He does seem conspicuous in his absence from the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU-Tig_HNDg&feature=youtu.be Six minutes in to this clip is where Bobcat went after Seinfeld.

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 01, 2019, 02:06:36 PM
It seems to prove the point that analyzing comedy (can be) like dissecting a frog.

At least Jerry doesn't laugh like Gervais or Carr, when he's decided to demonstrate how funny he thinks something should be.

Yeah totally, used to find Gervais's laugh quite endearing (like 15 plus years ago) but fuck me is it annoying by now.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on August 01, 2019, 02:27:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU-Tig_HNDg&feature=youtu.be Six minutes in to this clip is where Bobcat went after Seinfeld.

I don't find Goldthwait very funny either - Seinfeld is clearly the superior comedian - but he does have a point about the creepiness of a 38-year-old man going out with a teenager. Yuk. What's the deal with that, Jerry?

As for the Scientology thing, Seinfeld says he "dabbled" in it briefly but never actually signed up. Okay, but anyone who's even tempted to give Scientology a go must be a bit of a weirdo.