Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:25:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Wolf of Wall Street

Started by El Unicornio, mang, June 18, 2013, 11:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: thugler on February 10, 2014, 02:58:56 PM
What scene is this? What scorsese cast a hitman?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Cullotta

There's another scene in the film where he kills someone in a car park. It had been written a certain way, but Cullotta said "No, this is how we would do it". So you're basically seeing in the film how he used to "whack" people. He was apparently involved in the murder of Tony Spilotro (Joe Pesci's character in the film)

Famous Mortimer

I may have mentioned this previously (sorry) but the argument "it's one person's story, it doesn't talk about the people he ripped off because it's not their story" is a fair argument, but there's sort of a counter to it. We get many more films about these lives of excess than we do films about the people affected by those lives of excess, so the point I'm poorly trying to make is that people criticising it for depicting that life of excess with no reference to the other lives affected are also making a point about the wider world of cinema.

Does this make sense? I know, Scorsese isn't responsible for all of cinema, but the "it's not their story" argument starts to ring a bit hollow when it's being used for the nth time about yet another tale of rich scumbags being rich and scumbags. It reinforces that the only stories worth telling are those about people who've got a lot.

Not my strongest argument, but it's one of the reasons I didn't like it (along with how fucking long it was).

phantom_power

But isn't that just that the stories of the victims aren't as interesting? Most are probably normal people who last a few quid and carried on regardless.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteIt reinforces that the only stories worth telling are those about people who've got a lot.

Having watched The Wolf Of Wall Street and Inside Llewyn Davis, they provide two extreme sides of character studies.

One thing I would say is that the WoWS characters were indeed scumbags, but it is their scumbaggery is so routine as to be banal. None of the characters give a fuck about any consequences. It's a perversion or in another interpretation, the apex of the American Dream, a load of individuals doing whatever the hell they like and screwing (sometimes in the vagina) whoever gets in the way or tries to stop them. Three hours of "Do As You Feel"- it's extraordinarily entertaining and yes, Scorcese does put the characters through a little bit of pain along the way for their efforts. You'd have to be similarly narrow-minded/biased in thought to really believe that the film is endorsing any of the behaviour.

If you want to see a fun, wacky redemptive film about people being completely screwed, then clubbing together and fucking white collar criminals right back, watch Fun With Dick And Jane. No real character substance but it's entertaining and still the last genuinely funny thing Jim Carrey did.

graffic

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 15, 2014, 04:20:10 PM
Does this make sense? I know, Scorsese isn't responsible for all of cinema, but the "it's not their story" argument starts to ring a bit hollow when it's being used for the nth time about yet another tale of rich scumbags being rich and scumbags. It reinforces that the only stories worth telling are those about people who've got a lot.

That is why Scorsese is shit. He is only interested in making films about liars and thieves.

There is never any small person shown to be good or beauty in the small or weak a Scorsese film. Its all about brutes, violence and the strongest man wins.

He is a very American director interested in a masculinity that is a deliberate  affront to political correctness and the European emasculated, ideal man which is partly why I find his films annoying and about completely insufferable twats. 

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Like you, I hate the man's work so much I make a point of studying everything he does recreationally.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I just received this text from Vodafone:

"Vodafone Select: Money can buy you happiness. Click here! and learn how to live your life The Wolf Of Wall Street way! Join the party on Blu-Ray and DVD now."

What. The fuck.

Peru

Quote from: graffic on April 19, 2014, 10:34:04 AM
There is never any small person shown to be good or beauty in the small or weak a Scorsese film. Its all about brutes, violence and the strongest man wins.

Kundun? Bringing Out the Dead? King of Comedy? Age of Innocence? Hugo? Last Temptation of Christ?

Glebe

Saw the steelbook today, nice cover. No rumoured director's cut, though.