Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:27:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Smart watches

Started by Famous Mortimer, June 19, 2013, 02:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

I am thinking of getting myself one of those Pebble watches (www.getpebble.com) but as I wait for their pre-order system to get round to me, I notice a bunch of other companies are getting in on the act.

Anybody have one? Recommendations? Should I wait a few years for them to get better?

MojoJojo

I got the sony one (a bit old). It's shit. Couldn't even display the time if it wasn't linked to the phone, and I ended up sending worrying text messages to my dad by accident.
The register did a round up, which has put me off trying to get another one for a while at least: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/22/roundup_smartwatches/

Ignatius_S

Quote from: MojoJojo on June 19, 2013, 02:15:03 PM...The register did a round up, which has put me off trying to get another one for a while at least: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/22/roundup_smartwatches/

Yeah, I was going to mention that, especially as some of the comments I thought were useful and there was disscussion about Agent Watch (the Kickstarter campaigns ends tomorrow). I nearly back the Pebble watch one but on reflection, glad I didn't as feel I'd rather see how this market develops first.

syntaxerror

Until the battery life is on par with a normal watch, meh.

Replies From View

Quote from: syntaxerror on June 19, 2013, 02:43:42 PM
Until the battery life is on par with a normal watch, meh.

Yes, this.  I'm quite fascinated by smart watches in a superficial sci-fi way, but I've enough devices to plug in daily without having to remember to do my wristwatch as well.

mcbpete

Plus they seem to draw extra power from your phone via the bluetooth connection - the battery on my phone is shite enough as it is without the 10% (I think that's what it said on the Pebble one) extra drain through communication