Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:38:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ne pas être mal - Google vs Peoples Of The Free World

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, June 20, 2013, 12:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

http://www.mail.com/int/scitech/news/2164012-france-threatens-google-with-privacy-fines.html#.1272-stage-hero1-2

QuoteThe French agency that regulates information technology says that five other European countries are taking similar steps in a staggered offensive against Google's privacy policy between now and the end of July.

The French National Commission on Computing and Freedom, known as CNIL, says Spain has joined France in the first wave of legal action Thursday, and that Britain, Germany, Italy and the Netherlands will join in the coming weeks.

Paris' formal warning gives the company three months to make changes to its privacy practices, such as specifying to users what it is using personal data for. If not, Google risks a fine of up to 300,000 euros by France, and millions of euros across all six countries. Google's revenues were $14 billion in the first quarter of this year, much of that from advertising — which is boosted by the Internet giant's ability to target users based on what they read, watch and buy online

Quote"French law demands that when you're collecting information about someone, you need to collect it for a precise reason," said CNIL president Isabelle Falque-Pierrotin.

Mmm yes, and so does ours.

So how is our favourite iffy privacy-invading definitely-not-tax-evading search engine gonna recoop?

And how, when data protection is so clear you can teach it to teenagers and have them all pass the test in an afternoon, have Google got away with this for so long?

Famous Mortimer

Neville Chamberlain

Would we be any better off using Altavista or something, like what we did in the olden days?

mook

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on June 21, 2013, 09:51:54 AM
Would we be any better off using Altavista or something, like what we did in the olden days?

i really don't know, but this chap might.

http://uk.ask.com/