Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,478
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:42:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

When did The Simpsons jump the shark?

Started by ThisIsHardcore, June 23, 2013, 05:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 12, 2018, 07:51:24 PM
Of all the shlocky action cuts in the show during the classic years, I think my favourite has to be the Fugitive parody with Milhouse at gunpoint on the edge of the dam:

"I'm tellin' ya, I didn't do anything!"

"I don't care."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12_EjQKJH98

On the topic of The Simpsons parodying The Fugitive, I love the ridiculous animation of Homer running in chains in this clip.

bgmnts

There is a really funny random car chase which I can't seem to find on youtube where Bart is on a ridealong and a car chase randomly starts and it is quite funny.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: bgmnts on June 12, 2018, 10:58:12 PM
There is a really funny random car chase which I can't seem to find on youtube where Bart is on a ridealong and a car chase randomly starts and it is quite funny.

Here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpj7NJ6P-N4

Act II: Death Drives a Stick!

bgmnts

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on June 12, 2018, 11:01:30 PM
Here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpj7NJ6P-N4

Act II: Death Drives a Stick!

God there are many awesome jokes crammed into three minutes.

"We're in pursuit of a speeding individual, driving a red.... car, licence number 'Eggplant Xerxes Crybaby Overbite Narwhal"

The music is great too.

gmoney

Quote from: madhair60 on June 12, 2018, 01:48:52 PM
WELL, McGARNAGLE, BILLY IS DEAD. They slit his THROAT from ear to ear.

HEY! I'm tryin' ta eat lunch here!

One of my favourite bits of Simpsons ever, along with "finger thing means the taxes".

Phil_A

Quote from: bgmnts on June 12, 2018, 11:05:45 PM
God there are many awesome jokes crammed into three minutes.

"We're in pursuit of a speeding individual, driving a red.... car, licence number 'Eggplant Xerxes Crybaby Overbite Narwhal"

The music is great too.

"He's unconscious, sir."

"WEEELLLL, they can still hear things."

Ferris

"Driving a red... car" is one of my all-time favourite jokes. And it's a throwaway! Fantastic.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 17, 2018, 06:01:32 PM
"Driving a red... car" is one of my all-time favourite jokes. And it's a throwaway! Fantastic.

Another of my all-time favourite jokes comes from a similar moment in The Simpsons: "Suspect is hatless, repeat hatless!"

Old Nehamkin

"I am directly under the Earth's sun... nnnnow."

Ferris

"Be on the lookout for a 1936 Maroon Stutz Bearcat!"

"...hmmm that was really more of a burgundy"

Ornlu

"Suspect is headed in the direction of... uh... you know, that place that sells chilli."

yesitsme

Is it a siege at the Kwik-E-Mart where Wiggum tells Lou (amongst other things) to 'bring something back with coconut in it'.

Y'see there are so many great quotable lines in the classic Simpsons that simply aren't there anymore.  A bit back we were in company and we were introduced to someone's husband who was a Pharmacist.  Eldest mutters under his breath 'Pharmacists- nature's quitters'.  I heard it and nearly wet myself, missus heard it and went mentile.

She doesn't understand.

Best real life situ for a good Simpson-a-quote?  I'd say the Zoo.  Especially if you see the copycat monkey-wannabee enclosure.  And of course you can shout Jumanji at pretty much anything bigger than a dog.

samadriel

Quote from: yesitsme on June 18, 2018, 12:57:23 PM
Is it a siege at the Kwik-E-Mart where Wiggum tells Lou (amongst other things) to 'bring something back with coconut in it'.

Close; "All right, come out with your hands up, two cups of coffee, an auto freshener that says "Capricorn", and something with coconut on it."

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on June 17, 2018, 06:34:49 PM
Another of my all-time favourite jokes comes from a similar moment in The Simpsons: "Suspect is hatless, repeat hatless!"

It's lovely – and I enjoy it's then continued it's revealed Homer is watching the show and he says 'I hope they throw his hatless butt in jail.'

Jerzy Bondov

You can tell the writers were very taken with the name McGarnagle:

You gotta tell em what you saw, Billy.
But I'm so scared, McGarnagle.
You gotta do this one for me, Billy - McGarnagle.
Okay, for you, McGarnagle.

yesitsme

Does McGarnagle say he's 'concentrating' on his sandwich?  If he does that's a brilliant line, if he doesn't I should be writing for The Simpsons.

And now Billy's DEAD McGarnagle!

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on June 19, 2018, 11:37:41 AM
You can tell the writers were very taken with the name McGarnagle:

You gotta tell em what you saw, Billy.
But I'm so scared, McGarnagle.
You gotta do this one for me, Billy - McGarnagle.
Okay, for you, McGarnagle.

Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case but feel it was an apt observation about certain shows. Although obviously exaggerated, there was a tradition in American shows of the lead character's name being used in dialogue – a little while ago, I went through the entire run of Kojak and there are quite a few conversations where someone says 'Kojak' more than once; similarly it occurs in Columbo.

In some ways, it's a holdover from popular American radio, where the audience is reminded that characters are talking to the main star – for instance, in Your Truly, Johnny Dollar, conversations with 'the fabulous, freelance insurance investigator with the action-packed express account' was peppered were peppered with 'Dollar'.

The worse offender was Mr. Keen, Tracer of Lost Persons – when characters were talking about other characters or addressing another, they would said the whole name (often repeatedly in the same conversation) and, for good measure, explain who that character was again... and again.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: yesitsme on June 19, 2018, 12:06:56 PM
Does McGarnagle say he's 'concentrating' on his sandwich?  If he does that's a brilliant line, if he doesn't I should be writing for The Simpsons.

And now Billy's DEAD McGarnagle!

No, he says "Hey. I'm trying to eat lunch here." - as any true McGarnagle would know.

yesitsme

Quote from: Ignatius_S on June 19, 2018, 12:18:39 PM
...The worse offender was Mr. Keen, Tracer of Lost Persons – when characters were talking about other characters or addressing another, they would said the whole name (often repeatedly in the same conversation) and, for good measure, explain who that character was again... and again.

Where's Poochie?

Replies From View

Are there people animating episodes of the Simpsons right this very second?

Ornlu

Very few cartoons are broadcast live, it's a terrible strain on the animators' wrists.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ornlu on June 19, 2018, 05:01:26 PM
Very few cartoons are broadcast live, it's a terrible strain on the animators' wrists.

They should make use of those little cushion things.

Blumf

Has this been linked yet?

http://www.darksimpsons.com/

Comics made out of Simpsons screen caps

colacentral

I started rewatching from season 2 recently. For the first time I found Dead Putters Society to be a really nasty episode - Homer is an unlikeable cunt the whole time, as are the rest of the family to varying degrees. Flanders writes them a nice letter and they all piss themselves laughing, which would be fine if anyone got a comeuppance or Homer apologised - but the worst that happens is both Homer and Ned have to cut the grass in dresses at the end. It's quite badly misjudged. At the same time though, it's probably the most laugh out loud funny episode up to this point.

St_Eddie

Blumf

yesitsme

I saw the one where Marge goes in to hospital and Lisa tricks Bart and Homer in to thinking they had leprosy (Hanson's disease - like that horrible Cream Soda).

So many good lines in this.

'Brains....brains....brains - use your brains to help us.  Your delicious brains...'

Chriddof

Quote from: yesitsme on June 26, 2018, 08:10:19 AM
'Brains....brains....brains - use your brains to help us.  Your delicious brains...'

"Boys, get the alcohol-free alcohol!"

And then Ned having a smiley face plaster over where his moustache got ripped off.