Author Topic: When did The Simpsons jump the shark?  (Read 194849 times)

Re: When did The Simpsons jump the shark?
« Reply #2460 on: March 08, 2019, 01:26:30 PM »
Watched that a few weeks ago and cried a wee bit at the end when Lisa hugs Bart because of how fucking brilliant it is.

Not sure how to feel about this decision so think I'll just not think about it.

Petey Pate

• Currently Not Available
« Reply #2461 on: March 08, 2019, 02:02:20 PM »
The producers have decided to pull the Michael Jackson episode from distribution in all mediums, following the recent documentary:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-et-st-simpsons-michael-jackson-removed-20190307-story.html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Michael Jackson wasn't even it though, it was some guy called John Jay Smith.

« Reply #2462 on: March 08, 2019, 02:19:16 PM »
The joke in Bart Sells His Soul where Bart says a soul is something made up to scare kids "like the Boogeyman or Michael Jackson" is the joke that Bart thought MJ was made up, or that the allegations were made up? Or is the genius that it can (or could) play both ways?

« Reply #2463 on: March 08, 2019, 02:28:10 PM »
Michael Jackson wasn't even it though, it was some guy called John Jay Smith.

That was a pseudonym I think. On the commentary on the dvds the writers/producers talk about the secrecy around getting MJ in to do the voice. Unless they were joking of course.

FerriswheelBueller

• Golden Todger or
  • Silver Member
  • Very tired. Sorry if my recent posts are shit.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #2464 on: March 08, 2019, 02:46:26 PM »
The joke in Bart Sells His Soul where Bart says a soul is something made up to scare kids "like the Boogeyman or Michael Jackson" is the joke that Bart thought MJ was made up, or that the allegations were made up? Or is the genius that it can (or could) play both ways?

I thought it was because he was a creepy-looking invention of the press (ie his life was blown out of all proportion) and often discussed by adults, not specifically referring to allegations. I think that’s too dark for the Simpsons really.

Jerzy Bondov

• get sum!!
    • Wrongfully Adapted
« Reply #2465 on: March 08, 2019, 02:47:11 PM »
I thought it was because he looked like a monster

Petey Pate

« Reply #2466 on: March 08, 2019, 02:48:12 PM »
It's a reference to the Pete Best song 'Michael Jackson was made up to scare kids'.

« Reply #2467 on: March 08, 2019, 03:13:52 PM »
That was a pseudonym I think. On the commentary on the dvds the writers/producers talk about the secrecy around getting MJ in to do the voice. Unless they were joking of course.

I think they say that Jackson did the speaking parts but an impersonator did the singing parts. They also mention that Jackson specifically requested a scene where he's alone with Bart in the treehouse, and mention how weird that is in retrospect. Luckily I don't think they did it, so Jackson couldn't fiddle with himself imagining getting Bart to suck his nipples (Though I expect this is depicted somewhere on DeviantArt).

It's ridiculous that they're pulling that episode from ALL media. Would they object to racist stuff in Looney Tunes etc getting released on physical media? I'd seriously doubt it. I'm fine with it not being aired on TV again but it shouldn't be erased from history. It's a great episode too, not some season 50 shite.

« Reply #2468 on: March 08, 2019, 03:35:17 PM »
I do think removing it from DVD and Blu-Ray release is a bit extreme, although it will increase the value of my copy I bought three years ago (when no one could have possibly suspected such things)

BritishHobo

• That is a really reductive impression
« Reply #2469 on: March 08, 2019, 03:41:37 PM »
It does seem a bit strange given that, well... we all know about it. It's not as if it's a recent episode that may have only been seen by a few people, or an unreleased one. It's pretty firmly lodged in the consciousness of fans, as well as being pretty firmly lodged on every bloody DVD copy of season 3 that exists in the world. Given how long the show has been going, if there are any new fans who are dedicated enough to go back to the beginning, I'm sure they'll find it.

If there's some aspect of the episode that means money still goes to the Jackson estate, that will make sense. Otherwise it seems a fairly empty gesture.

Petey Pate

« Reply #2470 on: March 08, 2019, 03:44:13 PM »
It should remain on any future DVD releases, but with an introduction by Whoppi Goldberg explaining that things were different thirty years ago.

I was joking with some friends the other day that a #metoo scandal may be the one thing that ends The Simpsons. If only they had made Michael Jackson a regular cast member after season 11...

Blumf

• Not long now
    • IGNORE ME!!!
« Reply #2471 on: March 08, 2019, 04:06:55 PM »
Meanwhile, 14 years in the future:

"Fox are pulling The Simpson's episode Lisa Goes Gaga from all media and re-runs.

Said the undying body of James L. Brooks 'Nothing to do with any historical sexual assault allegations, it's just so fucking shit!'"

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #2472 on: March 08, 2019, 09:17:37 PM »
They'll come for the episodes that guest-starred Jim'll Savile next.  :(

The Giggling Bean

• When The Bean Giggles The World Jiggles
« Reply #2473 on: March 08, 2019, 09:46:45 PM »
They'll come for the episodes that guest-starred Jim'll Savile next.  :(

They reissued a Doctor Who DVD minus a "Jim'll Fix It" extra, so that's already happened.

Replies From View

• Golden Member
« Reply #2474 on: March 10, 2019, 06:41:02 PM »
They reissued a Doctor Who DVD minus a "Jim'll Fix It" extra, so that's already happened.

The tragedy will not be complete until Jim’ll Savile has been excised from The Simpsons.

Glebe

• So here we are, then.
« Reply #2475 on: March 11, 2019, 07:46:53 PM »
It's a good thing Jackson never appeared in Who.

« Reply #2476 on: March 11, 2019, 08:26:09 PM »
It's a good thing Jackson never appeared in Who.

A close shave: https://doctorwhowatch.com/2017/01/24/michael-jackson-almost-doctor/

According to this article, he was 'quite keen' on the idea of taking the lead role for himself in 1988.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 08:36:30 PM by ajsmith2 »

Replies From View

• Golden Member
« Reply #2477 on: March 11, 2019, 08:44:59 PM »
A close shave

Wallace and Gromit too??

St_Eddie

« Reply #2478 on: March 11, 2019, 09:01:28 PM »
A close shave: https://doctorwhowatch.com/2017/01/24/michael-jackson-almost-doctor/

According to this article, he was 'quite keen' on the idea of taking the lead role for himself in 1988.

He also wanted to play Jar Jar Binks in The Phantom MenaceNo, really.

Replies From View

• Golden Member
« Reply #2479 on: March 11, 2019, 09:19:19 PM »
And also he wanted to play Gordon Brittas in The Brittas Empire.

petrilTanaka

• Are we counting shites?
« Reply #2480 on: March 11, 2019, 11:44:48 PM »
And he also wanted to play left wing back for Scotland at France '98. Tosh McKinlay the better choice though

Glebe

• So here we are, then.
« Reply #2481 on: March 12, 2019, 12:39:23 AM »

Crikey!

Bad Ambassador

• Sit down, Mario!
« Reply #2482 on: March 12, 2019, 09:26:59 AM »
He had a cameo in Men in Black II, so expect Film4 to push out an edited version of that fairly soon.