Author Topic: rip richard matheson  (Read 768 times)

rip richard matheson
« on: June 25, 2013, 12:00:45 AM »
just read that matheson has died.

a true talent.

Serge

• Silver Member
  • New Music, Night And Day
Re: rip richard matheson
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 12:29:19 AM »
Like Ray Bradbury, it seems bonkers that Matheson could still have been around in 2013 - when I started reading his stuff in eighties, he already had decades of work behind him. I used to have two anthologies of his short stories, 'Shock!' and 'Shock! 2' (and just looking them up, I see there was a third volume), one of which contained 'Big Surprise', one of the greatest short stories ever written. I was completely unaware, or had forgotten, that he wrote 'Duel' as well.

RIP.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Are we human? Or are we toilet
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 07:52:23 AM »
Bah!

RIP, a terrific writer.

Kane Jones

• I want to see your 27 fingers explode in my body
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 02:12:23 PM »
'Big Surprise', one of the greatest short stories ever written.

After seeing your recommendation here, I've just read this.  Bloody hell.  What a great story and shocking twist.  Brilliant. Has this ever been made into a short film or adapted into a Twilight Zone episode?  Criminal if it hasn't. 

The Roofdog

• you look and are as fat as meat ball
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 03:38:40 PM »
RIP. 'I Am Legend' was one of my favourite books when I was a teenager. Always wanted a faithful film adaptation of it[nb]complete with the final chapter that, y'know, explains the title[/nb], thanks to that Will Smith piece of crap there'll probably never be one now.

Kane Jones

• I want to see your 27 fingers explode in my body
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 04:17:36 PM »
BUMP

I'm doing a reading of 'Big Surprise' by ol' Rich in my Night Light Halloween Special as part of Dr_Christian_Troy's Halloween Night on CaB Radio this evening at 7:30pm, if any of you are interested.  The whole evening should be a lot of spooky fun, so listen in if you can.

Oh and thank you Serge for recommending the story.